Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Some product info listed:

• Project Name: Nashville Convention Center Hotel (designed while at Gensler)
  • Size: 1.2 million SF
  • Client: Mesirow Stein
  • Project Type: Hotel
  • Project Team:
  • Structural Engineer: Halvorson and Partners
  • MEP Engineer: Environmental Systems Design

Description

Hotel design in much of America can be a rather vanilla affair. The Nashville Convention Center Hotel needed a creative solution that was somehow grounded to the location and the locale. Inspiration came from the neighboring Nashville Convention Center, which was built to resemble elements of an acoustic guitar. The hotel design focuses on the music, instead of the instrument.

The patterned facades of the NashvilleConvention Center Hotel are rooted in the algorithms of country music. A classic countrymusic song was transposed

mirydi - WOW !!!! Excellent find !!!!!!!!

So yes, this is the corner of 8th and Demonbreun - the First Baptist site that just sold for $18 million. But the group that bought this is out of Arizona(?) and has no previous projects as large as Tony's original proposal .... and nothing even remotely close to this. But the design proposal is definitely recent. 40 and 50 story towers - would be nice. Not 650, about 500-550 ... no complaints from me. It is very encouraging to see proposals of this magnitude for Nashville.

This is a design proposal, a concept only. Let's not get bent out of shape in either direction !!!!!!!!

mirydi - WOW !!!! Excellent find !!!!!!!!

So yes, this is the corner of 8th and Demonbreun - the First Baptist site that just sold for $18 million. But the group that bought this is out of Arizona(?) and has no previous projects as large as Tony's original proposal .... and nothing even remotely close to this. But the design proposal is definitely recent. 40 and 50 story towers - would be nice. Not 650, about 500-550 ... no complaints from me. It is very encouraging to see proposals of this magnitude for Nashville.

This is a design proposal, a concept only. Let's not get bent out of shape in either direction !!!!!!!!

Well that (the bolded) is definitely disappointing to hear, but what a find by mirydi!  Who knows what that might be!

On that website it says the client for the rendering is Mesirow Stein, which is a small real estate company out of Chicago.  I wonder if they had placed a competing bid for the church lot and just had this drawn up to beef up their bid? 

Edited by BnaBreaker

I agree that that one is a concept design done by the architects who were with Gensler when they did that but are now on their own. And I suspect it was done for Giarratana when he had the option on that site... and he ended up proposing the smaller design.   Too bad the Westin people couldn't borrow the height and particular elements of the details from this one for theirs at the roundabout.  

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

The background photo shows the 12/12 as nearly complete, so the rendering must have been done this past summer. The trees are all leafed out. And one hell of a lot of work was put into this design including structural engineering. 

21.jpg

It looks to be 60 stories which would make it up to or over 700 ft with those panels on top.

No doubt it was intended for the 8th and Demonbruen lot.

92.jpg

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 2

The background photo shows the 12/12 as nearly complete, so the rendering must have been done this past summer. The trees are all leafed out. And one hell of a lot of work was put into this design including structural engineering.

21.jpg

It looks to be 60 stories which would make it up to or over 700 ft with those panels on top.

No doubt it was intended for the 8th and Demonbruen lot.

So is that the lot with the Goodyear tire and woman's shelter? Also, is that the lot owned by First Baptist or did they own the parking lot next to Bridgestone Arena?

92.jpg

My wife and I lived in an apartment complex of townhouses for rent for mixed income in Durham, NC back in the early 90s... and the place was very nice (no frills) but well-kept by the private owners... there were about 180 units.  And it was close enough to walk to South Square Mall and all the peripheral places around HWY 15-509.  Many units (I think 20%) were subsidized, but as long as the family's children were in school... and they had priority if they made the grades to NC School of Science and Math (one of the best High Schools in the state).  I have always wondered why that is not done more in more places.

Edited by MLBrumby

Agreed from these parts that we have to figure something out that doesn't just involve moving poor people further away from services. I love the design of Cheatham Place - I think its the most architecturally interesting public housing that we've got in Nashville. If the worry is concentrated poverty, remodel them and make them available for mixed income. I also think we need intentional policy on creating quality affordable housing throughout the urban core. I think it should probably be a bit more spread out than the way housing projects have been for the last 75 years - but turning the core into an unaffordable haven for wealthy folks while the poor people who rely on our substandard public transit system for survival don't need to be pushed out to places where buses are few and far between and the agencies that help them survive are not accessible.

Affordable does not have to equal ghetto. And I feel like those of us who do work toward and like to see revitalization and new urban principles have a greater responsibility to think about how to truly revitalize rather than gentrify neighborhoods.

I think Cheatham Place needs to be completely re-done to get true buy-in. It's not reasonable to tear down historic houses with character and then keep the projects because they have character. There is too much of a negative stigma surrounding the projects for many to overcome, and it defintely needs to be made into a mixed income development.

This is the rendering of the project that Brett posted about on the corner of 6th & Taylor.

XBRDU2c.png

This will use the historic homes and add to them. This is the same group that is redoing the Centurian Stone building across the street on the other corner.

This is behind the pay wall but will come off at some point.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2014/4/16/mixed_used_development_targeted_for_germantown

Construction fence is up around this project.   Looks like it's about to launch.     

• Like 1

I think the two buildings on each end are existing buildings and I think are brick.

I think he means that, since he assumes the "flanking" structures are brick (and believe you me, they ARE REAL brick walls, not just brick facing on framing), that he hopes the developers don't end up using some cheap-ass composites or other non-masonry facing material for the exterior construction.  IMO, that would be a "cardinal sin" of adulteration, to utilize anything other than brick.  Even brick with accents of stone (even "cast" stone block, as used in some newer commercial applications, such as on the MTA MCCentral, and the newer Walgreen's) can be made to look and feel authentically classic without that sham appearance.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 3