Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Please don't clobber me, if this has been posted already.  I just tripped over this acquisition for a 5-story apt./retail in the Nashv'lPost and the BizJournal (at the north side of the Jefferson St. Bridge ramp (at Jeff between Second and Third):

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2014/11/7/phoenix_developer_acquires_germantown_site_slated_for_project

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2014/11/on-deck-another-apartment-complex-in-germantown.html

I'm sure everyone already had a hunch (except for me).

-=roox=-

The lesson here would seem to be that if a developer wants to build at "tall" hotel while also restoring the facades along the "historic" block, then the so-called historical commission should not protest the whole thing. Now this eyesore will be in the place of what could have been a nicely restored row of buildings with daytime and evening foot traffic. I have to think the May family is yukking it up about this.

A-men. The hotel proposal was a thousand times better than anything since.

• Like 2

The lesson here would seem to be that if a developer wants to build at "tall" hotel while also restoring the facades along the "historic" block, then the so-called historical commission should not protest the whole thing.  Now this eyesore will be in the place of what could have been a nicely restored row of buildings with daytime and evening foot traffic.  I have to think the May family is yukking it up about this. 

Yes, Just tacky-ass to the max.  (and they had the nerve, b11tchin' 'bout Walgreens on Lower Broadway!)

-==-

• Like 3

More apartments for Germantown for ths full block at 1226 2nd ave N.   Slowly, the industrial fringe of the area is getting developed.  http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2014/11/ohio-developer-tees-up-450-apartments-in.html

Heard that on the radio this morning.      That is a huge parcel, just doing a googlemaps visual, it looks to be almost 2x the Vista Germantown property.    

The developer's website shows they've done projects ranging from suburban townhouses to urban infill (e.g., https://lifestylecommunities.com/communities/lc-riversouth-high-st/coming-soon.html).      We'll have to wait to see a rendering for Germantown, but good to hear that it includes retail.    

• Like 1

Heard that on the radio this morning.      That is a huge parcel, just doing a googlemaps visual, it looks to be almost 2x the Vista Germantown property.    

The developer's website shows they've done projects ranging from suburban townhouses to urban infill (e.g., https://lifestylecommunities.com/communities/lc-riversouth-high-st/coming-soon.html).      We'll have to wait to see a rendering for Germantown, but good to hear that it includes retail.    

This is also the same team that did Henley Station in M'Boro

IMG_5162-large.jpg

Edited by HGMIII
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info on the RS-40A zoning stuff ya'll.

I know the neighborhood association over there is not wild about the rezoning... mainly due to density. But its 2 blocks off Jefferson and 2 blocks from TSU... several larger apartment complexes and some light retail in that area. Plus - I believe long term the adjacent railroad track is supposed to be some sort of commuter rail. It seems like it makes sense.

I will be attending the zoning hearing and will probably bring up an SP. Hopefully that will get the neighborhood on board if they have more of a say in the process.

As for Arthur and Elizabeth Park - remodels are starting to pop on multiple streets. I closed on on 17th Ave N last month for 180,900 and the investor I'm working with is finishing up rehabbing a folk victorian bungalow on 11th just north of Buchanan that will be listed in the mid 200s (2100 sq ft, 4 bed 3 bath). It seems most everything over there is along and south of Cockrill and East of 14th Ave N.

Also - something is going on at the old abandoned grocery store at 9th Ave N and Buchanan. Lots of permits pulled and significant work being done. I'm really excited for anything at this juncture that will bring some stability to the Buchanan corridor. Too many vacant commercial properties right now. Additionally - a permit was pulled at I believe 1411 Buchanan for rehab for Alex Lockwood's new gallery (he has been at 100 Taylor). 

BTW - here's the rehab on 11th - if you know anyone who might be interested, shoot me a PM.

160wx8h.jpg

Edited by mundiejc
  • Like 4

Catch-22.

That's still the nature of the South: we are the domestic Third World. (And we are still pitted against the Rest in so many minds.) These corporation-friendly incentives are the only way we're getting notice and spurring growth. Otherwise, traditional ideologies stand and we are the only place in the country where racism and obesity exceed civic development---a curious hinterland unworthy of our national, let alone international, concern.

Edited by vinemp

Not even close vinemp...

The incentives are dolled out by NYC, Chicago, London, etc... Your self-immolation (or worse, prejudice if you are not from the South) has created myopia. Bridgestone itself announced why it choose Nashville, low-taxes, low-cost...same as Nissan....

From the Nashville Business Journal Article -

"When you look at quality of life, cost of living, the culture of Nashville, the business environment and the potential talent pool, Nashville wins," Garfield said. "Bridgestone will be forever identified as part of the Nashville skyline."

Gov. Bill Haslam, Dean and others made trips to Tokyo to speak with Bridgestone executives. Not to be discounted: Bill Hagerty, commissioner of the state Department of Economic and Community Development, used to live in Tokyo and speaks fluent Japanese.

Haslam said Nashville beat two other finalists for the headquarters. One was Chicago, according to sources. One of the three businesses moving into the new headquarters is currently based 25 miles west of Chicago, in Bloomingdale, Illinois.

Edited by Guest

I know the neighborhood association over there is not wild about the rezoning... mainly due to density. But its 2 blocks off Jefferson and 2 blocks from TSU... several larger apartment complexes and some light retail in that area. Plus - I believe long term the adjacent railroad track is supposed to be some sort of commuter rail. It seems like it makes sense.

I will be attending the zoning hearing and will probably bring up an SP. Hopefully that will get the neighborhood on board if they have more of a say in the process.

As for Arthur and Elizabeth Park - remodels are starting to pop on multiple streets. I closed on on 17th Ave N last month for 180,900 and the investor I'm working with is finishing up rehabbing a folk victorian bungalow on 11th just north of Buchanan that will be listed in the mid 200s (2100 sq ft, 4 bed 3 bath). It seems most everything over there is along and south of Cockrill and East of 14th Ave N.

Also - something is going on at the old abandoned grocery store at 9th Ave N and Buchanan. Lots of permits pulled and significant work being done. I'm really excited for anything at this juncture that will bring some stability to the Buchanan corridor. Too many vacant commercial properties right now. Additionally - a permit was pulled at I believe 1411 Buchanan for rehab for Alex Lockwood's new gallery (he has been at 100 Taylor). 

Thanks for that activity update for that area.  I haven't had much reason to even be passing through and along those paths lately.  When I did used to live in North Nashville, I attended (for a year) North High School, which had been on Clay Street, along the stretch interesecting with Owens, 11th and, Cephas streets. That abandoned gocery story had been some of everything during the past century, but when I frequented it, it was an A&P Grocery.  My mom and I would shop there on Saturday mid-mornings, and then head south on Ninth and hit up the Kroger on Ninth and Monroe ─ yep, there had been an original Kroger at the site of Monroe and old Ninth Ave, back when Ninth used to cross Buchanan and straight shot southward across Monroe past the Rexall.  Of course, then the Kroger was tiny compared to.the current one nearby, roughly the same size as the current Family Dollar across from the Sutler in Melrose; this, too, had been a Kroger until the early '90s. (the Friedman's Army Navy Store and Doric Lodge on 21St Ave South also had been about the same size, when still was a Kroger)

Back then, Delta Steet used to intersect 8th Ave at a (dangerous) taper, and along with that said above, Ninth would continue uninterrupted from Cass Street (from the current location of John Early Paideia Middle Magnet, part of which is on the former site of what had been called "White City Park", where we used ot play softball) all the way to Herman Street, practically downtown.  For some "Nashv'l" reason they made the continuation of Ninth into Tenth north of Cass St., and down past the Looby Center into Metro Center.  Ninth actually used to continue on into the "marshes" toward a public boat launch on the river, and past the city dump (closed shortly after 1970).  Clay Street also was the north end "terminus" of Eighth Ave. (at the St Cecilia Convent), and prior to the Metro Center development, Clay and Eighth together had still been commissioned as US-41A (continuing at Clay and Clarksville Pike at Eighteenth), which of course made those roads very busy and congested (along with the school zone at North High).

As far as Ninth Ave is concerned in general, it along with Eight, Tenth, Eleventh, Twelfth, Fourteenth, Sixteenth, and Seventeenth and Eighteenth (which would meet as now at the current taper near Buchanan) served as a parallel grid runs that would connect Jones/Buena Vista, Elizabeth Park with Fisk/Meharry/Hope Gardens (and beyond in some instances), before the advent of the interstate.  Now among these only Eighth, and Eighteenth truly remain as through streets within that area circumscribed within Eighth and Eighteenth, Clay and Herman/Harrison.

Anyway, thanks for mentioning that old store building on Buchanan.

-==-

• Like 2

Not even close vinemp...

The incentives are dolled out by NYC, Chicago, London, etc... Your self-immolation (or worse, prejudice if you are not from the South) has created myopia. Bridgestone itself announced why it choose Nashville, low-taxes, low-cost...same as Nissan....

From the Nashville Business Journal Article -

Vinemp's signature is "The South will rise again" fwiw.