Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Seems like an odd update to the entryway...

The Ryman expansion will provided much needed space for additional restrooms, enhanced food & beverage options AND a better box office setup (which I think will be especially welcome). Plus, I believe there is a space for meetings or private events. All added with a respectful consideration for the historic original structure!

Edited by donNdonelson2
  • Like 1

I 265 use to run north of downtown. It is now just I 65. The stretch that is I24 going across the river was 24 and 65.

They just changed the designation a dozen or so years ago to funnel the 65 traffic around to the west.

Yeah, that was my project. We routed some traffic away from the deadly 2nd and 4th Avenue exits and made it a 'little bit' safer.

The Trust Development project in Buena Vista just listed.  Take a look here:  http://realtracs.com/PropertyDetail.aspx?PropertyClass=RES&DMQL=(AreaID%3d%7c1%2c2%2c3%2c4%2c5%2c6%2c7%2c8)%2c(City%3d*Nashville*)%2c(ZipCode%3d37208)%2c(ListingStatusID%3d1)%2c(OfficeListIsActive%3d1)%2c(IsListedOnInternet%3d1)&AreaID=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8&MlsNum=1587030&Digest=8pcAGG/CAVwKqPwrNH+v5w

A nice step for area. 

Also noticed a sign up at the Gramercy site in Germantown.  I guess that will be underway very soon.   

**edited to fix link**

Edited by Bezoar

The Trust Development project in Buena Vista just listed.  Take a look here:  http://realtracs.com/PropertyDetail.aspx?PropertyClass=RES&DMQL=(AreaID%3d%7c1%2c2%2c3%2c4%2c5%2c6%2c7%2c8)%2c(City%3d*Nashville*)%2c(ZipCode%3d37208)%2c(ListingStatusID%3d1)%2c(OfficeListIsActive%3d1)%2c(IsListedOnInternet%3d1)&AreaID=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8&MlsNum=1587030&Digest=8pcAGG/CAVwKqPwrNH+v5w

A nice step for area. 

Also noticed a sign up at the Gramercy site in Germantown.  I guess that will be underway very soon.   

**edited to fix link**

That price point is ambitious, I will be very interested to see how much it goes under contract for.  Per a convo with one of Jim's lieutenants, I expect another Trust project on Arthur.  

I was cruising around HBV this weekend, construction has really picked up, at 9th & Cheatham (Cottages and 2 unit condo), and the white house for sale just south of Cheatham & Arthur is now under contract.  I've also noticed a house a week being demo'd the past month on both Scovel, Monroe & Cheatham.   

• Like 1

That price point is ambitious, I will be very interested to see how much it goes under contract for.  Per a convo with one of Jim's lieutenants, I expect another Trust project on Arthur.  

I was cruising around HBV this weekend, construction has really picked up, at 9th & Cheatham (Cottages and 2 unit condo), and the white house for sale just south of Cheatham & Arthur is now under contract.  I've also noticed a house a week being demo'd the past month on both Scovel, Monroe & Cheatham.   

A demo on Monroe?  Whereabouts?  This is my street, and I haven't noticed it yet :)

"...I expect another Trust project on Arthur...."

Speaking of Arthur Ave., after the late 1960's closure of Ninth and (breaking up of) Tenth Avenues at Buchanan, in preparation for the Interstate, former Nashville Transit Company (NTC - before it became public as the MTA), re-routed the city-bus route named "Buena Vista" to Arthur Ave.  (before MTA started using numbered routes)  I always felt that Arthur Ave used to be one of the most "eastern-" or "midwestern-" looking streets in the entire city, particularly for that part of town, given how wide it is and the wide parkway grass strips between the walkways and the curbs.  Much of that had to do with the working-class immigration patterns evolving in the region at that time, along with the many brick-and-mortar industries located on the river's west bank and the proliferation of retail businesses spanning lower Jefferson and Buchanan Streets at that time.

True, Arthur is not as wide as some other two-lane paved avenues, and it may not (as of yet) have the glamor of Shelby Ave, or of Belmont Blvd, but give it time.  Of course, it was built back during the same period when the Monroe Street Carnegie Library was still new.  Despite the obtrusive looking underpass carrying I-65, which basically leaves Arthur Ave. as one of the few surface throughways linking downtown to the far northwestern part of North Nashville, Arthur is a jewel waiting to be found.

-==-

• Like 1

"...I expect another Trust project on Arthur...."

Speaking of Arthur Ave., after the late 1960's closure of Ninth and (breaking up of) Tenth Avenues at Buchanan, in preparation for the Interstate, former Nashville Transit Company (NTC - before it became public as the MTA), re-routed the city-bus route named "Buena Vista" to Arthur Ave.  (before MTA started using numbered routes)  I always felt that Arthur Ave used to be one of the most "eastern-" or "midwestern-" looking streets in the entire city, particularly for that part of town, given how wide it is and the wide parkway grass strips between the walkways and the curbs.  Much of that had to do with the working-class immigration patterns evolving in the region at that time, along with the many brick-and-mortar industries located on the river's west bank and the proliferation of retail businesses spanning lower Jefferson and Buchanan Streets at that time.

True, Arthur is not as wide as some other two-lane paved avenues, and it may not (as of yet) have the glamor of Shelby Ave, or of Belmont Blvd, but give it time.  Of course, it was built back during the same period when the Monroe Street Carnegie Library was still new.  Despite the obtrusive looking underpass carrying I-65, which basically leaves Arthur Ave. as one of the few surface throughways linking downtown to the far northwestern part of North Nashville, Arthur is a jewel waiting to be found.

-==-

Arthur has a lot of potential which I forsee being tapped sooner rather than later.  Most of the more expensive real estate in HBV is on Arthur, and there are a lot of vacant lots jsut waiting to be built on.  It would be nice to see some  streetscaping done.  

Speaking of the library (the oldest one in Nashville, by the way), it's currently closed until January for renovations.  Glad to see some love going into this historical gem.  

I stopped by the Trust Development open house on Scovel Street.  It's very nice, and the views from the 3rd floor and roof are impressive.  I will definitely consider Trust when ready to purchase my next home in the area.  Only complaint - at that price, I would expect hardwood floors in the entire house.  Otherwise, I like everything about these homes.

Batman building spires lit up red!  Never seen this before.  Wonder if it has anything to do with the elections?

I just posted in the Bits & Pieces thread about this same thing.

About 30 minutes ago, it was cycling through a full ROYGBV spectrum, so we have plenty of options. Election results are a possibility--maybe similar to New York from a few years ago? (Though I doubt it will ever be anything but red...)

New-York-Building-Electoral-Votes-Empire

Edited by Vrtigo

Sweet, they can change colors for special occasions and events then. I wish the TN Tower had LED tubes on it and changed colors like BOA Plaza in Dallas.

I agree.  You would think even simple flood lights at the bottom of the building shining up would be done.  It would be better than it is now. Dark.....

This feature would have been cool on the Pinnacle building as well.  You would think because it is such a new building that LED lights would have been installed on the exterior.  The crown would be beautiful lit up in different colors.

• Like 1

^ I agree, I think a huge opportunity was missed with the lighting of the Pinnacle tower. The white lights are not bad at the top, but it would look awesome if it was a different color. 

This is just a quick photoshop from a random pic I found. I think this would look so cool around Christmas, or even for Titans/Predators games just to change it up.

Pinnaclelights_zpsf22ef87f.jpg

That looks really good.  Perhaps the Batman building will be the catalyst for other buildings.  Still curious if the Batman building is finished with it's new lighting installation or if this is it?

Fisk planning 4 story residence hall.

From the Post

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2014/11/5/fisk_plans_first_new_construction_since_1992

I guess that it was only a matter of time that Fisk would be in a position to address some of its transition as of late.   I worked there for 13 years (1992-2005).  With all the state of financial insolvency headlined in the media during the past quarter century (actually since the early 1980s) of the embattled institution, I only can hope that it can immediately begin to manage its perennial problem of deferred maintenance and delegation in upholding its physical plant.  During my stay, I had witnessed the handling of a number of high-dollar projects, most notably the restoration of the Art-Deco 1929 neo-gothic Cravath Hall Administration Bldg (and former library), the rectangular "top-hat" structure situated in the middle of campus.  Almost from the time of release (2003) by inspectors and the general contractor, the building had been plagued with water damage of finished plaster with restored Depression-era painted murals, as a direct result of roof leaks and other issues stemming from lack of oversight and persistence in follow-up in quality assurance.  Upon my departure in 2005, some of these most serious laundry-list items had yet to have been resolved.

Perhaps some of this sense of apathy can be ascribed to high rates of personnel turn-over during a succession of upper-administrative changes in leadership at Fisk during the past 20 years (in addition to cases of "hirer's remorse").  Several other lesser projects of renovation during the last 25 years include Van Vechten Art Gallery a (former gymnasium); the Carnegie Academic Bldg. (a former library), and the Little Theater (which had been a former Union army barracks and used during the school's founding in 1866 as Fisk Free Colored School).

The Jubilee Hall Residence Center, an imposing 4-story (with full walk-in basement) constructed in 1875, has undergone 2 major renovations during the past nearly 140 years (1964-'65 - total gutting of the structural interior and updating with steel and reinforced concrete with elevator; 1992-93 major restoration of interior and mechanical-electrical systems).  Given the high costs of a much needed additional renovation to the exterior structure of this city landmark, due to settling, seismic disturbance, and age deterioration of stone and brick masonry details (which has never undergone any significant repairs), it is understandable that this matter would be deferred.

Incidental walks along the Fisk campus grounds by a casual observer often have revealed a systemic absence of maintenance and lack of attention to details of the care of even Fisk's relatively recently updated work (such as exterior mold and algae deposits leading from roof-mounted or ground-level enclosed mechanical air handling and chilling equipment and from wall-mounted hydrants; and small saplings growing behind masonry parapets and chimneys).

I'm not attempting to slam the school, as personally it served as a former employer.  However, as with any structural project, whether it be a restoration, a renovation, or (in the case of the subject press release) a rare, new construction, I only hope that the university can begin to manage maintenance of its existing assets, as well as to demonstrate a practice of ensuring that its work under contract is monitored consistently for workmanship.  Many of us are too familiar with how it feels to participate in dorm trashing (along with ensuing consequences) prior to the mid-spring closing, although only the institution itself is totally accountable in preserving the integrity of its architectural assets.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 4