Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

The 2404-2518 W Heiman Street zone change from various things to RM40-A appears on the staff reports for next Thursday's (11/13) MPC hearing.  The staff analysis indicates that this zone change to RM40-A would allow up to 202 units.  The "A" portion removes the front/side minimum setback requirements from the bulk zoning and encourages development that is built to the street.  This one does not appear to be an SP but rather a straight rezoning.  I am inclined to prefer SPs in these cases, because the SPs allow for community input into design elements.  Whereas with a straight rezoning, one could build practically any old thing that meets the requirements. 

Here is the Planning Staff Recommendation version of the above.  Note that the policy that is referenced is T4-Urban Neighborhood Evolving:

"Consisent with Policy?  Yes. The proposed RM40-A zoning permits the type of use intended within the policy area. The

RM40-A also requires design and bulk standards intended to foster development that is urban in

form and consistent with the goals of the policy. While RM40-A is consistent with policy, a

Specific Plan with an appropriate design would also be consistent with policy."

I also found the other item that I had this confused with.  It is the policy change (T4-Urban Neighborhood Maintenance to T4-Urban Neighborhood Evolving) for properties located at 42nd Ave N/Albion Street for a potential expansion of the campus of the social service provider, Mending Hearts. 

Edited by bwithers1

I think you've got the wrong link, Ron. But that one's interesting, too.

As in this....

2200 ROSA L PARKS BLVD

** To perform Exterior Improvements for the new United Methodist Publishing House. To include converting existing Multi-tenant
Structure into a renovated Single-tenant complex. This permit will include roof modifications and new canopies.

To allow relocation from the Turnberry site, I suppose?
Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 1

I met Ivy from Wilder this morning on a post-brunch walk and she invited us to their grand opening tonight from 4-8. They're doing a soft opening next weekend.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/11/new-retail-store-slated-to-open-in-germantown.html

Earlier this week I spoke with the site manager of the square and he told me that a burger place was going in on the ground floor of The Square on the NE corner of 4th and Madison. He also told me that a grocery store was slated for the vacant lot on the SW corner of 4th and Madison. Has anyone else heard this? I don't think there's enough space for a Publix in that space.

Oh, the same supervisor told me that the owners of the brick bungalow and adjacent lot on the NW corner of 4th and Madison had recently been offered $1.2 million for the lot and they turned it down, waiting for a better offer. 4th Street N is going to be a hopping place a year from now.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum chc3. Great to have another poster joining us on the board. I figured there would be a grocery store sooner or later, but I don't think that it will be a Publix. I do know they have plans but not at that location. I would bet we may see something like Sprouts or maybe even a local grocery.

Keep your eyes and ears open for sure. Germantown is the hottest hood in Nashville right now.

• Like 1

Found this video a few days ago that shows the new lights on the Batman building. I did not realize The Bridge Building and the elevator on the pedestrian bridge had lights

https://vimeo.com/111048065

Beautiful!  I've always wondered why there wasn't more interesting lighting in downtown Nashville.  It helps to create such an inviting atmosphere, in my opinion!  I mean, I'm not saying we need to go full on Dallas circa 1988 or anything, but a little color never hurt anybody! :)

• Like 3

I met Ivy from Wilder this morning on a post-brunch walk and she invited us to their grand opening tonight from 4-8. They're doing a soft opening next weekend.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/11/new-retail-store-slated-to-open-in-germantown.html

Earlier this week I spoke with the site manager of the square and he told me that a burger place was going in on the ground floor of The Square on the NE corner of 4th and Madison. He also told me that a grocery store was slated for the vacant lot on the SW corner of 4th and Madison. Has anyone else heard this? I don't think there's enough space for a Publix in that space.

Oh, the same supervisor told me that the owners of the brick bungalow and adjacent lot on the NW corner of 4th and Madison had recently been offered $1.2 million for the lot and they turned it down, waiting for a better offer. 4th Street N is going to be a hopping place a year from now.

4th is definately shaping up to be the main business strip fo Germantown. I believe tis is the burger joint you mentioned:http://nashville.eater.com/2014/5/29/6215989/virginias-jack-browns-beer-and-burger-joint-expanding-to-germantown

Beautiful!  I've always wondered why there wasn't more interesting lighting in downtown Nashville.  It helps to create such an inviting atmosphere, in my opinion!  I mean, I'm not saying we need to go full on Dallas circa 1988 or anything, but a little color never hurt anybody! :)

I've always thought that lighting schemes at street level or at least below 50' makes any area look much more inviting and a bit denser. Hell look at SoBro around the 10 or 11 second mark in that video...the lighting from Bridgestone and the CMHoF make the entire area look pretty dense. It might be the angle, lighting, or the fact that SoBro actually is getting dense. Probably a combination of the three. 

• Like 1