Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I have to drive up from Smyrna to Music Row quite often, but I've gotten where I usually go 24 to 440 over to Hillsboro/21st.  For some reason, I just like missing the DT loop.

Well...the other day, for the first time in a while, I drove the loop south loop and came upon the Gulch area...and it hit me how dense that area up to Music Row and Midtown looks...even before many of the upcoming projects have been completed.  I can't imagine how this place is going to look in a year or two.

NY investor continues buying spree near Gulch

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/10/06/ny-investor-continues-buying-spree-near-gulch/16816749/

This is the same group that owns the Voorhees building and surrounding properties.

Looking forward to seeing what their plans are for these properties. Glad to hear they are trying to keep as much of the existing structures as possible.

• Like 1

It would appear this project is currently underway: http://www.nashville.gov/Public-Works/Capital-Projects/11th-Avenue-Complete-Street-Project.aspx

Personally quite excited for this, as I commute through here when I take a bike to work. It's a little trecherous as it is right now.

I work in the Gannett building, so I'm very excited to see this project happen. This will really help connect the new North Gulch area with the original Gulch area and clean up some pretty ugly space.

• Like 1

Another Germantown annoucement. This one at 2nd Ave N and Madison

From WW at the Post

Ohio developer targets Germantown for mixed-use project

This is near the oval shaped project near the bridge that is supposed to have a mixed use development

**Edit** After looking at this on Gmaps, this would be next to the Concrete ready mix place and across from a Truck depot lot. Doesn't that ready mix place cause a lot of dust and noise?

Edited by nashmoney

That's a lot of activity!  I had a chance meeting with the Germantown Neighborhood Association president on Monday night and he was talking about how much the Germantown neighborhood development is migrating from its 1980s roots along 6th Ave N toward the industrial areas closer to the river.  They may well have been meeting on these projects that very night! 

It appears that both of those sites are outside of the Germantown HPZ district, and possibly also outside of the MDHA Phillips-Jackson Redevelopment District.  That could mean minimal design review.  So neighborhood participation in the SP process will be important.

Edited by bwithers1

So if this is the same lot they're building the parking garage at...will we see a new rendering considering there's less land to build on?

Also, if this project ACTUALLY happens and the tower is ACTUALLY 60 stories...

I might cry.

• Like 1

So if this is the same lot they're building the parking garage at...will we see a new rendering considering there's less land to build on?

Also, if this project ACTUALLY happens and the tower is ACTUALLY 60 stories...

I might cry.

I don't imagine the rendering would have to change much. In the residential rendering, the tower seemed to take up less than 1/3 of the lot....which is about what Tony retained. 

I don't know when MDHA started discussing the parking garage with him...but it may have struck him that he could sell exactly the amount of land he would need in order to still build the residential tower.

I honestly had my doubts about this (as I discussed in a forum meet a little while back. I hope I'm dead wrong.

I believe the rendering in the article linked below is what we now MIGHT see rise from the corner of Church Street and 5th Avenue, right?

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/6/19/giarratanas_505_cst_to_be_residential_tower

It sure would be nice to see that corner with something other than a surface lot after all this time!

I believe the rendering in the article linked below is what we now MIGHT see rise from the corner of Church Street and 5th Avenue, right?

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/6/19/giarratanas_505_cst_to_be_residential_tower

It sure would be nice to see that corner with something other than a surface lot after all this time!

I believe so, yes.

Here is the article for Embrey ballpark site

Permits issued for Sulphur Dell apartment building project

It would be nice to have a little pedestrian bridge across Jefferson, similiar to the one they have in Knoxville across Cumberland Ave at UT. Would definitely help with folks trying to get from Germantown to Sulphur Dell and vice versa, whether its for the ballpark, farmer's market, or bicentenial mall. Definitely not a priority, but just something that would make a better pedestrian connection in my opinion. Cars tend to speed up once they cross over Rosa Parks heading to East Nash, which makes for a dangerous crossing.

However, I do not think there is an open plot of land availalbe for this, since all have been spoken for with residential projects.

1968326144_55052bbcf9_m.jpg

Edited by nashmoney
  • Like 1

Here is the article for Embrey ballpark site

Permits issued for Sulphur Dell apartment building project

It would be nice to have a little pedestrian bridge across Jefferson, similiar to the one they have in Knoxville across Cumberland Ave at UT. Would definitely help with folks trying to get from Germantown to Sulphur Dell, whether its for the ballpark, farmer's market, or bicentenial mall. Definitely not a priority, but just something that would make a better pedestrian connection in my opinion. Cars tend to speed up once they cross over Rosa Parks heading to East Nash, which makes for a dangerous crossing.

However, I do not think there is an open plot of land availalbe for this, since all have been spoken for with residential projects.

1968326144_55052bbcf9_m.jpg

I applaud the intent, but I think it would be better to put more signalized crosswalks, thus allowing people to cross safely while also slowing down the traffic.  Not everyone can navigate a bridge (especially with stairs) and then they are left to fend with the unrestrained traffic.