Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Brings back the memories of the Waffle House on Old Hickory in BRENTIOCH. Get hammered downtown, then go soak it all up with grease at the awful waffle till the sun came up. Ah the days of no responsibilities.....

No, no, the Waffle at Sidco!  :P

• Like 1

Don't forget the other intangibles that come with the bridge: Safer...more interesting/desirable...etc. along with easier access to whatever additional new development goes in on the vacant side of KVB.

But do intangible items such as the ones that you describe ("safer," which is debatable, and especially "more interesting") warrant a $16M investment? 

Not to belabor a point, but $16M is more than the city has invested in new sidewalks for many years combined.  At least this project will not directly take funds out of the general sidewalk/street funds now, thanks in no small part to a Council revolt in FY14.

Adding sidewalks in areas where there are none - and we can all name lots of those that are actually high in pedestrian activity - creates far more pedestrian safety for our citizens than this lone bridge will ever do. Not to mention connectivity. 

Obviously, this bridge will be pretty "interesting."  I'm not debating that.  But what is the value of that?  This is the fiscal convervative side of me speaking.   New development is already occurring at the eastern (Downtown/Sobro) side of the bridge.  Not to mention in the Gulch.  The construction of the Westin does not hinge on this bridge, for instance.  City Winery?  Probably not directly linked to this bridge.  So from a financial standpoint, how will we measure how much new development activity will directly result from the construction of this bridge?

The concerns about lack of visibility of the bridge from the MCC roundabout, which could hinder the touted connectivity benefits that supposedly justify this project in the first place, have been touched on by other posters.

For the record:  I am at peace with this one now that it is being paid for by TIF funds that come from the redevelopment district itself.  Even if that means that g.o. bonds are going to be needed to cover the debt on this project until the existing TIF loans are repayed in several years and can be reallocated to this project.

Edited by bwithers1

I wonder if the money would be better spent widening the Demonbreun St. viaduct and making that sidewalk much safer and pedestrian friendly?

It could be sent to the general fund and then used for police, fire, and other safety measures, while also contributing to the city's sidewalk program, which uses a Sidewalk Priority Index to determine where sidewalk maintenance and construction is most needed.

Thank you, nashvillewill and dmillsphoto, for making my point for me: business can give people a reason to visit and linger. 

The success of Café Coco could not be solely attributed to the people who live around it. There has long been sufficient runoff from nearby events and patronage from the professional sector, as well.

In my estimation, this diner fills an established niche; though, it will be a helluvalot more accessible to visitors (to the District and to SoBro) than our beloved Coco. 

Edited by vinemp

Christie Cookie getting much needed face lift. Drove by the other day and noticed the new paint job.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/10/2/christie_cookie_building_facelift_part_of_rebranding_effort

That's good to see. They make a darn good cookie. I wonder if they have, or could have factory tours. I saw them featured on How It's Made, and was so proud to see a homegrown business on there.

What the deuce is Hickory Hallow?

The sports authority lists it as a professional sports venue. Is this is reference to the new ice in Hickory Hollow? Or is this some soccer/lacross thing I've never heard of?

Edited by nashvillwill

Cummins Station owner buys building for $3.5 million

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2014/10/02/cummins-station-owner-buys-building-million/16600987/

Is he talking about putting a mixed use project in the parking lot directly across from Cummins Station?

From Tennessean:

Liff said the location of the property directly across from a parcel that’s part of his planned mixed-used development boosted its appeal. “We will now be able to develop both sides of the street in that location as part of our plan,” he said.

Thanks for keeping us posted.  If US Bank wants to have their sign on the city's tallest building, then... well, then they'll just have to have one built, right? 

There is a proposal on the Planning Commission agenda to consider a variance to the Downtown Code sign requirements to allow the US Bank sign to go on the AT&T building in addition to the AT&T sign, which already utilizes the max signage square footage.  Staff are recommending disapproval.

The downtown sign code requirements suck, one look at the any crap goes Broadway free for all, in the name of the historic nature of the district(total BS) and the poor scaling of other signs relative to their proximity to the street, the City Winery sign with it's 12" letters on a 6 lane road, vs the mission's 13 signs on its building. Not a direct comment on the AT&T building but good night what are they thinking ...or are they at all. 

• Like 1

The downtown sign code requirements suck, one look at the any crap goes Broadway free for all, in the name of the historic nature of the district(total BS) and the poor scaling of other signs relative to their proximity to the street, the City Winery sign with it's 12" letters on a 6 lane road, vs the mission's 13 signs on its building. Not a direct comment on the AT&T building but good night what are they thinking ...or are they at all. 

Broadway is an entertainment district, it should be colorful.  Personally I'm not sure we need any signage restrictions anywhere, I'm fine with the AT&T building having anything they want.  

• Like 1

Holy crap that's going up fast.  It actually sort of looks like a baseball stadium already.  And just think, last year we weren't even sure this was going to happen...

• Like 1

Broadway is an entertainment district, it should be colorful.  Personally I'm not sure we need any signage restrictions anywhere, I'm fine with the AT&T building having anything they want.  

FYI - The Downtown Code Signage requirements were not necessarily set by the Historic Zoning Commission.  They were largely set by the Planning Department and by downtown business and property owners themselves.