Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Atlanta investors pay $5 million for Lower Broadway property

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2014/10/atlanta-investors-pay-5-million-for-lower-broadway.html

We LOVE our 3-story bars! Alcohol is big business and Nashville sells a lot of it! 

In all seriousness, This is in the tourist area of Broadway and I can't really think of anything else that would sustain other than a bar/restaurant. Bars and Boots do really well on this peice of Broadway. 2nd 3-story bar announced this week for Broad.

Edited by nashmoney
  • Like 3

Lower Broadway...It is what it is...I just wish some of the buildings could look nicer, like the buildings on the south side from 2nd to third. I would also like to see any surface lots filled in on Lower Broadway, like the one at 2nd Avenue where the hotel was supposed to go. From Broadway to Joe's Crab Shack needs to be filled in.

• Like 4

This is probably just my youth showing, but I personally don't mind having that stretch of rowdy neon honky tonks down there.  I guess in a way I'm kind of setting a double standard here because it's definitely arguable that they, too, are tacky.  I think though that having an authentic nightlife district like that though is unique and sets us apart from our peer cities.  I just think all of the boot and trinket shops, particularly the ones that have shoddy facades and 'old west' style lettering on their signs and things of that nature, are something that Nashville has moved beyond.  We aren't Branson.  I like that the city embraces it's country music heritage.  I just think the boot shops are a tacky, inauthentic caricature of that heritage.

• Like 2

I'm glad to hear it, but I still have no idea how a six story bar and restaurant is going to survive in a corner of downtown that, last I checked, isn't exactly a hotbed of tourist activity. 

I'm glad to hear it, but I still have no idea how a six story bar and restaurant is going to survive in a corner of downtown that, last I checked, isn't exactly a hotbed of tourist activity. 

It's my understanding it will be open 24 hours and there is a shocking lack of that in Nashville.  The drunks need a good breakfast spot.  

• Like 2

How has Café Coco survived all these years?

I'm not familiar with Cafe Coco myself, but I was referring more to the sheer size of the restaurant.  It's going to cost a lot of money to run a place so big that's open 24/7, so I just wonder how long they'll survive in a corner of downtown that doesn't have a great deal of regular pedestrian traffic. 

I'm not familiar with Cafe Coco myself, but I was referring more to the sheer size of the restaurant.  It's going to cost a lot of money to run a place so big that's open 24/7, so I just wonder how long they'll survive in a corner of downtown that doesn't have a great deal of regular pedestrian traffic. 

I bet they do fine, this area will be picking up soon with the new hotels, the SoBro, and eventually new development will happen between here and Rolling Mill Hill.  And it's not so far from Broadway that people there won't find it.  

btw you should check out Cafe Coco when you're in town, good food and lots of character.

• Like 2

I bet they do fine, this area will be picking up soon with the new hotels, the SoBro, and eventually new development will happen between here and Rolling Mill Hill.  And it's not so far from Broadway that people there won't find it.  

btw you should check out Cafe Coco when you're in town, good food and lots of character.

I'll definitely check out Cafe Coco next time!  Thanks for the recommendation.  I hope you're right about the diner.  I think it's a great concept and I am really rooting for them.  It's probably not nearly as large as I am assuming.  I hear 'six story restaurant' and I assume it's going to have massive square footage, but it's such a small lot that each floor will probably be relatively small.  We'll see I guess!

No doubt. Nothing like an omelet and some greasy hash browns to soak up the whiskey!

Brings back the memories of the Waffle House on Old Hickory in BRENTIOCH. Get hammered downtown, then go soak it all up with grease at the awful waffle till the sun came up. Ah the days of no responsibilities.....
  • Like 4

I doubt the diner will have much trouble unless it just sucks. The Southern does very well even late night at 3rd & Demonbreun directly across from where the diner is going. There's also a Bakersfield restaurant and bar opening up on the other corner across from the diner. That stretch is increasingly active now with the Hyatt Place open and the MCC/Omni/Schemerhorn/Bridgestone nearby. It seems like lots of spots around downtown that were pretty dead years ago are becoming more active even into the evening hours.

How has Café Coco survived all these years?

Vanderbilt students, and people like myself....former punk rock kids who would go after shows at The End and Exit/Inn. The place literally has a different crowd depending on what time of the day you go in there...if you go during the day it will be packed with doctors and nurses on their breaks.

Lower Broadway...It is what it is...I just wish some of the buildings could look nicer, like the buildings on the south side from 2nd to third. I would also like to see any surface lots filled in on Lower Broadway, like the one at 2nd Avenue where the hotel was supposed to go. From Broadway to Joe's Crab Shack needs to be filled in.

Actually, I disagree. I wish this lot remained open and used .... and NOT built on. There are numerous events when this lot is used during there year. It  would be a disappointing to lose this lot .... just wish it would be turned into a public use area instead being a parking lot

I swear that there are people that live at Cafe Coco. When I was in school and lived on Hayes, I would go there to study. Many of my classes were online at the time. I would go to Cafe Coco at about 8am stay until 3, go back at about 9pm and stay until 2-3am. There would be the same people there all the time, every time. It's crazy. I honestly think they lived there.