Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I love this! I am glad the CBD is once again competing with the Gulch/Sobro/Metro Center/ WillCo...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/09/22/warby-parker-appears-headed-lc-tower-now/16074587/

Online eyeglasses retailer Warby Parker is negotiating for one floor of temporary space in downtown Nashville’s L&C Tower.

If a deal is reached, the New York-based company would occupy nearly 6,000 square feet in the tower for the next 18 months. The signing would come as L&C Tower is about to undergo a $6 million facelift, thanks to New York-based Shelbourne Global Solutions LLC, which became co-owner of the city’s first skyscraper last month.

Warby Parker’s first office outside New York is expected to create 250 jobs over five years. The local operation is expected to open around the middle of next month, with roughly 15 employees augmenting the company’s 80-person customer service center in New York. It eventually would expand to include employees from other departments.

Warby Parker is expected to seek up to 30,000 square feet of space for a permanent office here. L&C Tower is expected to be in the running.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the new Fairfield Inn has a blue neon light on it like depicted in this render? 

fairfield-inn-suites-downtown-nashville-

I do not think it does. The rendering is not exactly how it turned out but close. The signage is different too. I have not been by there at night and the project is not open yet, but should be in a week or two.

Thanks Ron. I'm hoping they do incorporate the neon light as I think it would look pretty cool. I'm kinda fond of neon lights on structures and buildings. I drove by it yesterday, and I gotta say, it looks better than I expected. At least from a quick glance anyway. Still think it looks out of place in the Gulch though. 

Looks as if the next phase of Morgan Park Place is now underway.

Also the art piece for the Lofts @ Taylor place is now up.

The Metro Center project is going to go up in a hurry. Full scale work started almost right away and no time being wasted on this one.

Do you have of any details of the plan for Morgan park?  

I haven't been through the Gulch in about a week, but last time I was there I noticed that there was still a lane blocked in front of Terrazo on Division.  Seems like it has been closed for several weeks.  Anybody know what they are doing?

This is for the build out on the first floor. They were excavating for what looked like water and sewer. I think a restaurant is going on the first floor.

• Like 1

I haven't been through the Gulch in about a week, but last time I was there I noticed that there was still a lane blocked in front of Terrazo on Division. Seems like it has been closed for several weeks. Anybody know what they are doing?

It's for Prima construction to stage materials, has been closed since April, if they are on track supposed to reopen in October sometime.

It was on the Metro site a good while ago, but from memory I think there will be three additional buildings on two different corners. They are utilizing unused space.

Embrey buys land for project near ball park.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2014/9/23/real_estate_notes_developer_acquires_ballpark_area_site_for_345m

• Like 1

Similar post on the 1stTN ballpark thread about the Embrey project that will be starting soon.  I found this old rendering posted by Nashmoney and thought this was what is planned, but the locations seem to be different.  Also, one of the articles said there is no rendering.  So are they different projects by Embrey?  

3096133_G.jpg

Do you have of any details of the plan for Morgan park?  

Is this what you are referring to?  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/05%20May%2021/SR%204th%20and%20Van%20Buren.pdf.  It was approved at the May MHZC hearing.  I didn't realize that Third Coast Design Studio was working on this one.  They do a lot of good work, particularly with "campus" designs.

Is it me or do those houses have crazy deep setbacks?

The wide angle exaggerates the perspective a little bit.  Not as extreme in real life.

Is this what you are referring to?  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/05%20May%2021/SR%204th%20and%20Van%20Buren.pdf.  It was approved at the May MHZC hearing.  I didn't realize that Third Coast Design Studio was working on this one.  They do a lot of good work, particularly with "campus" designs.

I guess so!  Thanks!

They do, I believe the lot is 50 x 150 so there is plenty of depth to be used.  Of the 3 homes to the left, 2 of them have detached garages so the end of their "drive way" bumps right up against the alley.  

I get that there is a lot of room on the lot, but having unusually deep setbacks is disruptive to the streetscape.  I believe that Codes now requires that setbacks be similar to adjacent properties since the CCIM policy language replaced LUPA in June.   Granted, these structures were built before that.  But there is a reason why Planning is struggling to get its arms around basic guidelines to ensure that infill development is appropriate for the neighborhoods where it is occurring.  In this case, the buildings themselves are fine.  But the setbacks seem to emphasize rather than to minimize their contrast with surrounding structures.  Who knows, I may just need to go look at it in person.  The perspective of the photo could be exaggerating something that is less noticeable in real life.  I was just curious. 

Edited by bwithers1

If you look at the overhead google satellite view, most the homes on the block have a similar setback.

I get that there is a lot of room on the lot, but having unusually deep setbacks is disruptive to the streetscape.  I believe that Codes now requires that setbacks be similar to adjacent properties since the CCIM policy language replaced LUPA in June.   Granted, these structures were built before that.  But there is a reason why Planning is struggling to get its arms around basic guidelines to ensure that infill development is appropriate for the neighborhoods where it is occurring.  In this case, the buildings themselves are fine.  But the setbacks seem to emphasize rather than to minimize their contrast with surrounding structures.  Who knows, I may just need to go look at it in person.  The perspective of the photo could be exaggerating something that is less noticeable in real life.  I was just curious.