Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I applaud the intent, but I think it would be better to put more signalized crosswalks, thus allowing people to cross safely while also slowing down the traffic.  Not everyone can navigate a bridge (especially with stairs) and then they are left to fend with the unrestrained traffic.

They have two over 21st at Vanderbilt. Hopefully this will work out, but it will have to be 15-20 feet high to account for tractor trailers that frequent Jefferson. Those trailers are 13-14 feet high.

Here is the article for Embrey ballpark site

Permits issued for Sulphur Dell apartment building project

It would be nice to have a little pedestrian bridge across Jefferson, similiar to the one they have in Knoxville across Cumberland Ave at UT. Would definitely help with folks trying to get from Germantown to Sulphur Dell and vice versa, whether its for the ballpark, farmer's market, or bicentenial mall. Definitely not a priority, but just something that would make a better pedestrian connection in my opinion. Cars tend to speed up once they cross over Rosa Parks heading to East Nash, which makes for a dangerous crossing.

However, I do not think there is an open plot of land availalbe for this, since all have been spoken for with residential projects.

1968326144_55052bbcf9_m.jpg

Similarly, I wish there was a bridge across Charlotte at the capital view site.  The north gulch greenway, which is in the process of being expanded, is somewhat hard to get onto if you're coming from the Germantown side.    

• Like 2

I would argue to the contrary. I believe such bridges should be much more common in any urban area--particularly the South with its automobile-centric population. I personally feel as though I'm putting my life into someone else's hands when I cross streets such as Jefferson, Broadway, KVB or any portion of James Robertson [speed]way.

How people can be so blind to clear traffic and pedestrian signals absolutely boggles the mind...

We need one over Main Street as well. Main Street is going to be a dense, and populated terminus into the city from the East.

• Like 2

OK, can we try to get the Gulch pedestrian passed for $16-$18M of TIF money before we start plotting the next pedestrian bridge? LOL!

Folks wanting to go from Germantown to the Bicentennial Mall area without crossing Jefferson can take 2nd Ave N under Jefferson.

If people living in urban areas feel like crossing the street at a marked crosswalk is taking their life into their hands, then we really do have a problem that we will never solve, because we would then have to install pedestrian bridges everywhere.  At some point, we have to look both ways and cross the darn street.  Period.

Yes, motorists can be bad about blocking intersections and running stop signs.  But putting a bazillion pedestrian bridges everywhere isn't the solution.  Better marking of crosswalks and signalization are the answer for almost all cases.  Beyond that, it's a matter of traffic enforcement by MNPD.  We could hire a good number of traffic enforcement officers for less than what it costs to put in even the simplest pedestrian bridge, particularly over an existing paved street with adequate sidewalks, such as Main Street and Jefferson Street.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 4

OK, can we try to get the Gulch pedestrian passed for $16-$18M of TIF money before we start plotting the next pedestrian bridge? LOL!

Folks wanting to go from Germantown to the Bicentennial Mall area without crossing Jefferson can take 2nd Ave N and the Music City Bikeway under Jefferson.

If people living in urban areas feel like crossing the street at a crosswalk is taking their life into their hands, then we really do have a problem that we will never solve, because we would then have to install pedestrian bridges everywhere.  At some point, we have to look both ways and cross the darn street.  Period.

Yes, motorists can be bad about blocking intersections.  But putting a bazillion pedestrian bridges everywhere isn't the solution.  Better marking of crosswalks and signalization are the answer for almost all cases.  Beyond that, it's a matter of traffic enforcement by MNPD.  We could hire a ton of traffic enforcement officers for less than what it costs to put in even the simplest pedestrian bridge, particularly over an existing paved street with adequate sidewalks, such as Main Street and Jefferson Street.

Sorry...I just love pedestrian bridges :). Doesn't have to be anything fancy like the Gulch bridge, just pour some concrete and arch it.

The point I was trying to make is, when you have hundreds of pedestrians trying to cross a busy street, you will have traffic blocked, pissed off motorist, and pedestrian injuries. Unfortunately some pedestrians walk when they are not suppose to and some motorist don't follow the law by slowing down and yeilding.

Just look at Broadway downtown on any given weekend or event (preds, Titans, concerts)- tons of crosswalks, signals, cops, and people and motorist still get into accidents. And don't try turning onto Broadway as motorist, you will sit there forever as people casually walk across the street when the sign cleary says don't walk.

On a normal day when there is not a Sounds game, it will be easy as cake to cross, throw in the motorist and pedestrians going to Sounds game, rush hour traffic and you have chaos.

Edited by nashmoney

On a normal day when there is not a Sounds game, it will be easy as cake to cross, throw in the motorist and pedestrians going to Sounds game, rush hour traffic and you have chaos.

Which is why they will have police on hand to enforce the rules on game day.  I'd argue they should also be enforcing signals on Broadway.  I think MNPD generally does a piss-poor job enforcing traffic flow of both cars and pedestrians.  I guess its more fruitful to set up speed traps on open boulevards.

We don't make pedestrians safer by training motorists that they don't have to think about them because they are on a separate grid unless we can then afford to build that separate grid nearly everywhere.  Instead, pedestrians need to take back their rightful place in our public spaces.

• Like 2

Agreed.  Most of the "simple" pedestrian bridges in Nashville actually serve a valid connectivity purpose by providing pedestrian access across divided-lane, limited-access highways in areas where traditional street viaducts with sidewalks are few.  Examples include the one that crosses I-40 from Rutledge Hill to the Sudekum Homes.  Another is the pedestrian bridge in East Nashville that goes from Frederick Douglas Park not far behind 5th&Main over the Ellington Parkway to the McFerrin Park neighborhood.

Edited by bwithers1

Something of significance...from the Tennessean

Downtown's L&C Garage put on the market

The six-story parking garage intended for tenants of downtown's L&C Tower office building has been put up for sale by its owner.

Armand Lasky, minority owner of Nashville's first skyscraper, wants $7.5 million for the 305-space L&C Garage on half an acre at Fifth Avenue North and Commerce Street.

<snip>

"It's an opportunity to acquire an income-producing property with strong future residual land value for a future office building, hotel or apartment,"

I believe they are talking about this location...

LampCGarage_zps3e50cfaa.jpg

Edited per comment below

Edited by PHofKS

It doesn't seem to include that lot, just the L&C garage.  If the garage is in decent condition, I could see a new development at the NE corner incorporating the existing garage. That might not be feasible from an engineering standpoint, though.  A developer who purchases the garage with intent to redevelop could, hopefully, consider purchasing the corner lot and include it.  It's an excellent site. Commerce street is a bit depressing the further West you go, but the potential is there.

This photo from the 1970's shows how the street was at that time, past it's prime but still lined with storefronts on several blocks. You can see the lot and garage at the far right of the image. I believe the building near the corner [facing 5th] housed a theater, but I forget the name of it.  [Photo from Nashville Digital Archives]

commerce.jpg

Is the surface lot at the NEC of 5th/Commerce included in the deal?  That surface lot really needs to get redeveloped.  Someone could put something good there and keep the garage.

• Like 1

Here's the site plan for the LC Germantown project, between 1st and 2nd Avenues North.  It appears to be somewhat unique, in that a new street will weave its way between several buildings.  Note that there is no 1st Avenue here; rather there are railroad tracks and the greenway where 1st would be.  The site is currently storage for scores of semi trailers.  As someone mentioned before, this is directly adjacent to Metro Materials, which is a very messy/dusty and loud operation.

http://maps.nashville.gov/MPC/2014/111314/2014SP-081-001_plan.pdf

Edited by barakat
  • Like 1

I can only imagine that Metro Materials' days there are short... That land is much too valuable to maintain an operation like that. I'm sure the folks behind LC are banking on the same assumption.

Also, regarding the noise and dust--while not quite as close to MM as this project will be, the condo development immediately on the other side of the Jefferson bridge has been their closest neighbor for years and seems to be no worse for wear.

Metro Materials does a pretty good job of trying to keep their dust down with frequent spraying.    The noise is something they can't do much about, given the nature of the business.   

What I find most encouraging about Germantown development moving ever eastward is that it's moving toward Neuhoff and may finally be the catalyst to spur interest in redeveloping those magnificent buildings.              

• Like 4

Metro Materials does a pretty good job of trying to keep their dust down with frequent spraying.    The noise is something they can't do much about, given the nature of the business.   

What I find most encouraging about Germantown development moving ever eastward is that it's moving toward Neuhoff and may finally be the catalyst to spur interest in redeveloping those magnificent buildings.              

That haunted slaughterhouse is really beautiful.  There is a little big of stuff happening over there.  The Peter Nappi leather goods studio is over there, as well as a Nashville Jazz workshop.  They recently had a food and wine event there, too.  The owner and main force behind the re-imagining of that place died a few years ago, so I'm not sure who owns it and what the plans are for it.  

• Like 1

Earth starting moving yesterday at the SW corner of 9th Ave N and Cheatham, the new home will be similar to the other 3 pictured to the left.

1hMW5vf.jpg

IT appears that this corner unit is going to be a 2unit facing Cheatham (West) directly looking at the cottages.  

1st floor framing is nearly complete on both units