Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Good news.  Curious to see how this building can be reused. 

I spoke with their COO Barry Hale about this last summer when he put an offer on one of my condos, they were shopping out this property privately with no luck.  

Edited by HGMIII

For sale: Prime Germantown location

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2014/10/for-sale-prime-germantown-location.html

Glad this building is being saved. This is definitely a prime location

For some reason I had always assumed that this building was still a school, and as a result, figured that the adjacent parking lots that belong to it would never be redeveloped, so, I'm thrilled to hear this news.  The building is beautiful and will be saved AND parking lots in the middle of Germantown will give way to development.  Great news all around!!

The historic preservation zoning in place on that site means that the saving of that contributing structure was never in question.  The nature of its re-use will be interesting to see, though.  The parking lots issue is intriguing because whatever new gets built will also need parking in addition to the surface parking that would need to be replaced.  I am imagining a parking garage wrapped in retail/restaurant uses or something similar up to but not more than 4 stories.

It doesn't seem to include that lot, just the L&C garage.  If the garage is in decent condition, I could see a new development at the NE corner incorporating the existing garage. That might not be feasible from an engineering standpoint, though.  A developer who purchases the garage with intent to redevelop could, hopefully, consider purchasing the corner lot and include it.  It's an excellent site. Commerce street is a bit depressing the further West you go, but the potential is there.

This photo from the 1970's shows how the street was at that time, past it's prime but still lined with storefronts on several blocks. You can see the lot and garage at the far right of the image. I believe the building near the corner [facing 5th] housed a theater, but I forget the name of it.  [Photo from Nashville Digital Archives]

commerce.jpg

For anyone that's interested here's roughly the same view from today. The white building in the upper left is one of the few taller structures from the 70's still standing.

screen-shot-2014-10-14-at-7-16-47-pm.png

^At least the Sudekum Tower lot was swiftly filled with a high-rise (even if it should've been kept, along with the Tennessee Theater). All the other lots in the photo that have remained parking lots (or demolished for them) for at or close to a half-century is inexcusable. The homes and buildings that were down there (save those lost due to fire) should've been kept and restored, with the newer business towers, bldgs., et al, built further out as needed. Imagine our city with a huge central historic district... blocks of Victorians, Second Empire Mansions and businesses, old factories converted to lofts (such as the stunning Gerst Brewery building which was at 6th & Mulberry above the interstate, demolished for absolutely nothing). Of course, Nashville isn't the only locale guilty of such wanton destruction in the name of "urban renewal."

Seeing that this...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1g_PvxgeO05-Txgf0hnJvOf1kEdkQaTja81rO-FDKszryoLjP

Was demolished for this...

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=36.149965,-86.772326&spn=0.000006,0.002642&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=36.150022,-86.773166&panoid=jdCDwb-z2A-S-v7gShTROA&cbp=12,288.54,,0,6.08

Should more than eclipse any hard feelings about the loss of the Sudekum by a mile, and not in a good way.

• Like 4

Being a transplant from Louisville, I am always interested to find out about Nashville history. Seeing your post about the Gerst Brewery got me looking into its history. What a loss. 

I stumbled upon this site that I hadn't seen before. 

http://www.whatwasthere.com/browse.aspx#!/ll/36.150423,-86.773729/id/18016/info/zoom/17/

Not comprehensive, but pretty cool. Make sure to click on the street view of the different photos. 

• Like 3

Actually, I'm not sure that platform seems so unreasonable.

The push toward that Post WWII New Urbanism was particularly virulent in the abused and pitied South. Parking lots, in essence, became a symbol of wealth and progress. As in, the abused and pitied southerners could more widely afford cars, themselves a symbol of wealth and progress. 

Our current permutation of (Newer New?) Urbanism is still ultimately a movement showcasing the prerogative of wealth; however, there is an element of civic engagement that was not a feature of the 20th-century phenomenon. That civic engagement is naturally rooted in proximity, and parking lots were never meant to facilitate the close proximity of people. Thus, they are/have become lifeless storage deserts that detract from more than they promote civic engagement.

Of course, that civic engagement is not wholly rainbows and gumdrops (i.e. There is still the problem of the color line), but it is making at least our built environments better to look at and live in.

Edited by vinemp
  • Like 1

The Metro Historic Zoning Commissioners today approved Aerial's 6-unit cottage development on 4th Ave N in the Salemtown neighborhood http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/10-%20October%2015/SR%201706-1708%204th%20Ave%20N%20-%20Oct.pdf.  This proposal is for two adjacent lots, each of which presently contains a one-story brick tri-plex.  State laws provide the property owner with the opportunity to replace all three units on each lot even though that number is above the base zoning, which would only permit two dwellings.  The Planning Commission and Council had already approved an SP for this project that would include up to six detached single-family homes. 

The MHZC disapproved the initial application when this project was first heard two months ago (the applicant was absent), then the Aerial team came back last month and asked for a re-hearing of the original proposal, which the Commissioners denied, and so the applicant came back with a revised plan this month.  Note that MHC staff were recommending approval based on comments from the Commissioners at the first hearing about the lack of an adequate courtyard in this "courtyard/cottage" development and also about the size and massing of the buildings, particularly the rear buildings, which were not originally subordinate in height/massing to the main structures fronting 4th Ave N.

At today's hearing, the Commissioners overturned the staff recommendation and approved the project citing the fact that Aerial's team had reduced the footprint, height and massing of the rear buildings and increased the size of the courtyard, although there really is not much room there still.  At least one representative from the Salemtown Neighborhood Association spoke in favor of this project as well.

I have to give the Aerial presenters compliments on finding comparable historic structures, which are actually few and far between in Salemtown, from which to base their measurements and to my surprise even providing historic context in that district for the ubiquitous Aerial double-decker porches on the rear units.

• Like 1

God, that really was a depressing website.  Other major losses that I noticed included, but were definitely not limited to, The Drouillard Mansion, The Tennessee School for the Blind, and the Teamsters Hall, which are now a shoddy parking garage, an empty lot, and a one story strip mall respectively.  Wow. 

You know, I understand the logic that went into demolishing buildings like that in an effort to modernize and 'keep with the times' as it were, by building, a more modern, contemporary structure.  I don't agree with it in almost any case, but I get the reasoning behind it.  What really gets me are the people who thought it a good idea to knock these buildings down JUST to knock them down, or to put another flat surface to put your car.  Obviously hindsight is always 20/20, but what an appallingly horrific philosophy that was.  I wish there was a time machine somewhere just so I could go back in time and backhand these people across the face. 

• Like 3

God, that really was a depressing website.  Other major losses that I noticed included, but were definitely not limited to, The Drouillard Mansion, The Tennessee School for the Blind, and the Teamsters Hall, which are now a shoddy parking garage, an empty lot, and a one story strip mall respectively.  Wow. 

You know, I understand the logic that went into demolishing buildings like that in an effort to modernize and 'keep with the times' as it were, by building, a more modern, contemporary structure.  I don't agree with it in almost any case, but I get the reasoning behind it.  What really gets me are the people who thought it a good idea to knock these buildings down JUST to knock them down, or to put another flat surface to put your car.  Obviously hindsight is always 20/20, but what an appallingly horrific philosophy that was.  I wish there was a time machine somewhere just so I could go back in time and backhand these people across the face. 

I can't wait for the chaos that will be engendered when such a time machine is actually invented--lots of faces will get slapped.  And worse.  

In the meantime we must make allowances for the fact that it was the time of suburban triumphalism:  people really didn't think in terms of preserving or reusing these buildings because they thought the city itself was a thing of the past.  We look at the Gerst brewery now and see a plush mixed use development with condos and retail worth millions; they saw an ugly agglomeration of out of style buildings of no economic purpose in a dying part of town, with no future but to crumble into ruins.  Just be glad they were wrong.

• Like 1

Speaking of Gulch Crossings...

IMG_0049.jpg

I find projects like this fascinating. Since they haven't added the cladding onto the outside yet, you can see the framing already beginning to take place on the first floors even though they haven't yet poured all the concrete up top yet. Pretty neat!

Speaking of Gulch Crossings...

IMG_0049.jpg

I find projects like this fascinating. Since they haven't added the cladding onto the outside yet, you can see the framing already beginning to take place on the first floors even though they haven't yet poured all the concrete up top yet. Pretty neat!

Looks like the cladding is starting though.  Glass panels are inconspicuous in that photo.

Just a random question here, and this may be a bit premature, but have any of the retail tenants for Gulch Crossings been announced yet?

I emailed the person in charge of MarketStreet retail leasing to complain about the lack of local amenities in the retail mix a few months back and she claimed this building would have smaller floor plans that'd be more accommodating of that but there was nothing specific.

• Like 1

I emailed the person in charge of MarketStreet retail leasing to complain about the lack of local amenities in the retail mix a few months back and she claimed this building would have smaller floor plans that'd be more accommodating of that but there was nothing specific.

Looking at the construction photo above, it looks like it isn't as far along as I thought, so I suppose it's understandable if there haven't been any specific names thrown out there yet.  Still though, the email response you received is encouraging.  I mean, I obviously don't live in The Gulch, but I have to imagine that getting a laundromat, Dunkin Donuts, a 7/11 etc. would be a very welcome occurrence to most residents in the neighborhood.  I know I'd hate it if all I had within walking distance here in Logan Square in Chicago was boutique clothing stores and wine bars. 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

Just a random question here, and this may be a bit premature, but have any of the retail tenants for Gulch Crossings been announced yet? 

Since there isn't one within at least 500 feet, my money is on a Starbucks filling one of those spots. And, like most of them, it will always be packed.

• Like 1

Looking at the construction photo above, it looks like it isn't as far along as I thought, so I suppose it's understandable if there haven't been any specific names thrown out there yet.  Still though, the email response you received is encouraging.  I mean, I obviously don't live in The Gulch, but I have to imagine that getting a laundromat, Dunkin Donuts, a 7/11 etc. would be a very welcome occurrence to most residents in the neighborhood.  I know I'd hate it if all I had within walking distance here in Logan Square in Chicago was boutique clothing stores and wine bars. 

Do the residential buildings in the Gulch not have in-unit laundry hook-ups or at least a central laundry room in the basement of the building or something?  It's a little hard for me to picture Gulch residents paying $1600/month or whatever in rent and hoofing bags of clothes to a 24-hour laundromat. 

Yes, I could see a convenience store and a dry cleaners signing a ground-floor lease.  And a chain restaurant/coffee shop to complement the Subway and to compete directly with the existing coffee shop.

Logan Square in Chicago is a true mixed-income, multi-ethnic "neighborhood" with thousands of residents living in 2- or 3-story walk-ups lining an impressive street grid that flanks Milwaukee Avenue in an area covering perhaps a square mile. 

Whereas the Gulch is a geographically isolated two-block-wide strip of midrises that are primarily if not exclusively occupied and visited by a limited and rather exclusive demographic with disposable income.  The Gulch was intentionally designed NOT to be a traditional neighborhood with a variety of occupants, amenities and functional assets. That's what the rest of Nashville's neighborhoods are for. 

There is no camparison between Logan Square and the Gulch. The closest Nashville analogue to Logan Square would probably be Woodbine (or Flatrock to natives) and Glencliff.  There are plenty of inexpensive ethnic restaurants, laundromats and convenience stores on Nolensville Road if you can get past the check cashing and title loan businesses.

But still, I get the point that the Gulch needs to lease a convenience store of some sort.  Not all of those are the horrible "beer and cigarette markets" that are the cause of so many litter/noise/harassment/public intoxication complaints in the rest of the city.  But so many of them are that when you mention, "convenience market," to most people in Nashville, that image is exactly what comes to mind.  And that image is not quite what most realtors would want to pitch to prospective Gulch buyers/renters.

Edited by bwithers1

I wasn't trying to make a direct comparison between Logan Square and The Gulch.  That's just where I live, so instead of lying or making up a neighborhood, that's what I said.  I could have just said "where I live" without including a specific location, and my point would still have been the same.  And that point is that everyone living in an urban neighborhood needs easy access to day-to-day amenities, regardless of the demographics of said neighborhood.  Even billionaires require food and medicine. 

I have no knowledge of the washer/dryer situation in Gulch residential units. 

Edited by BnaBreaker