Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

From the Post regarding the Thompson Hotel:

MDHA OKs exterior of hotel planned for Gulch

Also, from NBJ:

Coming to the Gulch's new luxury hotel: Doughnuts from Chicago

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2014/10/coming-to-the-gulchs-new-luxury-hotel-doughnuts.html

I love a good doughnut and it sounds like this place has some of the best in the country.

In addition to doughnuts, Velocity will have biscuits (this was announced back in June)

http://www.nashvillescene.com/bites/archives/2014/06/23/biscuit-love-truck-to-open-bricks-and-mortar-in-the-gulch-this-fall

Edited by nashmoney
  • Like 3

I love the design of the project, but I love the location even more!  It's nice to see some development going into Rutledge Hill, and without destroying any historic architecture too!  Imagine that!  The one thing I don't like about the design is that the brick red severely clashes with the neon green.  Pick one and ditch the other. 

• Like 2

I love the design of the project, but I love the location even more!  It's nice to see some development going into Rutledge Hill, and without destroying any historic architecture too!  Imagine that!  The one thing I don't like about the design is that the brick red severely clashes with the neon green.  Pick one and ditch the other. 

Architects love green. 

Seriously, I can name you 5 firms in Memphis off the top of my head that have that lime/avacado green in their logo or use it and the same font on everything they produce. 

Less is more, unless it's green. 

Edited by arkitekte
  • Like 1

I love this design overall as well including green, but it's also my favorite color. Nashville desperately needs some buildings with a splash of color. I have a feeling the final green will be a little more subdued. The final buildings never seem to look quite as vivid as the rendering for some reason. 

• Like 2

Is Erica Gilmore simply a shill for developers? Is seems that everything she pushes at and through the Council is for the benefit of private developers and literally no one else. Supporting the demolition of the Trail West building to build a 3-story open-air steakhouse? Right on Broadway? Good grief.

• Like 2

I love this design overall as well including green, but it's also my favorite color. Nashville desperately needs some buildings with a splash of color. I have a feeling the final green will be a little more subdued. The final buildings never seem to look quite as vivid as the rendering for some reason. 

Green is my favorite color as well. I generally prefer a medium to dark green (think leaves and grass in late spring), but I like that this is a little different.

This isn't far from Ryman Lofts, which has a little color itself. I agree that we need more buildings with color. Vibrant color. We have plenty of dark tones, which I am OK with....but we need some contrast!

• Like 3

Is Erica Gilmore simply a shill for developers? Is seems that everything she pushes at and through the Council is for the benefit of private developers and literally no one else. Supporting the demolition of the Trail West building to build a 3-story open-air steakhouse? Right on Broadway? Good grief.

I couldn't agree more...though, I must say, I wish we could get that incredibly tacky wooden red facade removed.  I'm sure the old girl is a beauty underneath.  I'm not really sure why they decided to dress her up in a garbage bag.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

I actually don't mind the neon green at all.  I just think it looks bizarre next to that brick red material, though, I'm sure you're probably right in saying that the final product will be much more subdued and probably end up looking pretty nice.  I'm sure that an architect with the talent to create a design this striking wouldn't actually form the outer walls with red bricks. 

• Like 1

At 11 stories it's going to really stand out on the hill.

That height issue seems to be a concern with the MDHA redevelopment district guidelines and existing Codes for that site, which would limit the height to 7 stories.  The BZA will hear the height variance, but MDHA will provide a recommendation to the BZA. 

Joe Cain of MDHA is quoted in the NBJ article as stating that the height allowances were determined after significant public input, and he appears to be struggling with granting a variance for one site without gathering another round of community input from nearby stakeholders. 

We will see what they have to say.  It seems unlikely to me that Husk management would object to four additional floors of residents down the street from their restaurant.  And if the development team can build 7 floors by right, even that building would almost certainly block views and such, which are not legally protected anyway.

I am really interested in seeing what this building would look like from the Hermitage Avenue vantage point.  The Rutledge Ave side is one thing, but Hermitage Avenue is at a significantly lower grade.  How will the extremely visible foundation of this building be treated? For all intents and purposes, the topographic conditions of this parcel mean that this building will literally have three front sides, and in fact the side facing the alley parallel to Hermitage Ave will be the most visible of the three sides.  If anything, the Lea Ave side will be the "back side."

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 2

Looks really good. But I am getting tired of seeing the same thing with Nashville. Not when it comes to design/rendering, but when talking about who the buildings are for. It seems like we only have apartments or luxury condos. Does Nashville not realize there is another market out there? I realize that the costs are probably high, so maybe it is not a financially viable option to have lower priced condos. 

I am just frustrated because I would love to live in a condo downtown but the prices keep me out. It seems like the only options are to rent (which I don't plan on doing again) or spend 300K. Would it not be possible to have some ~1,000 sq. ft condos priced around 150-200K? I guess construction costs are just too high for this? Or maybe Nashville has priced itself out of that market for urban living. When I was looking a few months ago it seemed like 175K could purchase a condo, but it would be very old and small. 

Edited by bigeasy
  • Like 1

I believe Mr. Giarratana is building an apartment building near Baptist that has lower priced apartments.  Looks like a great location. There's also (as I understand it) several buildings at the Rolling Mill Hill section.  

Granted, it seems like ALL the new product caters primarily to the 25-35 (??) professional classes who tend to spend more of their disposable income on their rent.  However, according to the report that came out this week, Nashville is second in the nation for attracting those people. Also, don't discount the lure of the older buildings in midtown, and even some downtown, that are attracting people with lower rents, because they lack the amenities of those new properties.  I would bet that there is a fair amount of "churn" of people moving out of the old buildings as the new ones are completed.  Market dynamics! 

I couldn't agree more...though, I must say, I wish we could get that incredibly tacky wooden red facade removed.  I'm sure the old girl is a beauty underneath.  I'm not really sure why they decided to dress her up in a garbage bag.

Indeed.  Is it not possible to renovate the historic Trail West building for a steakhouse?  The Acme Feed & Seed building is awesome and features three floors of unique options all in one space that highlights the historic features of that structure.  I don't see the need for demolition of the Trail West building to accomodate a steakhouse.  And what is the purpose of putting a Historic Preservation Zoning ordinance on vacant parking lots but demolishing one of the few actual historic buildings on that block?

CM Gilmore needs to stop wasting everyone's time with these fake-outs and just go ahead and put the HPZ on the 200 block of Broadway as was required as a condition of the original Westin SP.   This saga has been dragging out for months now.   

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 2

Indeed.  Is it not possible to renovate the historic Trail West building for a steakhouse?  The Acme Feed & Seed building is awesome and features three floors of unique options all in one space that highlights the historic features of that structure.  I don't see the need for demolition of the Trail West building to accomodate a steakhouse.  And what is the purpose of putting a Historic Preservation Zoning ordinance on vacant parking lots but demolishing one of the few actual historic buildings on that block?

CM Gilmore needs to stop wasting everyone's time with these fake-outs and just go ahead and put the HPZ on the 200 block of Broadway as was required as a condition of the original Westin SP.   This saga has been dragging out for months now.   

If it is economically feasible you are certainly welcome to try and renovate and put a steakhouse.

I have not seen the article saying the Trail West building is to demolished for a steak house.  But wouldn't that be ironic, since the Historical Commission was opposed to the developer that wanted to build a midrise hotel with the renovation of the whole front of that block?   

From The Tennessean article:

"Councilwoman Erica Gilmore, who represents downtown, had proposed an ordinance to extend the historic overlay to include this block, but at the last minute had sought to exclude the Trail West property at 217-219 Broadway. There, broker Marshall Karr, who recently purchased the property, is eyeing a three-story, open-air structure anchored by a steakhouse.

Gilmore’s amendment to exclude the Trail West building from the overlay, however, failed by a 14-20 vote. Later, Gilmore’s motion to withdraw the legislation, which could have enabled the demolition of the building, failed as well by a 12-21 vote."

The irony to me is that the Walgreens folks were talking about reusing the existing Trail West building and voiced no objection to the HPZ; rather, they were concerned about the Cultural Heritage Overlay district that would have placed limitations on uses. But it seemed feasible that the Walgreens proposed for that corner could have maintained that building and followed the existing DTC signage requirements.

Edited by bwithers1