Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

For our out-of-town guest:

Music City Circuit

main.jpg

You don't really mean that do you? Just because Vandy won the past two games against UT. Come on! You would pull for an out of state rival? Where is your city pride?

I bleed orange, but Vandy deserves all the support it can get this year... My, how far they have fallen.

You don't really mean that do you? Just because Vandy won the past two games against UT. Come on! You would pull for an out of state rival? Where is your city pride?

South Carolina isn't a rival. Plus, the sentiment was the same well before Vandy beat us.

Besides, as much as you bad mouth Vandy, are you really one to talk about city pride?

They also have a damn fine Gumbo, of all things. Far better than more than a couple actual Cajun restaraunts I have tried in town. At least they used to, its been several years for me since I've been. My mom's from New Orleans so I was always on the lookout for Cajun food when I first moved up here.

Yes, gumbo is good. Po' boy is good. It is common for the chef to have a Cajun special (bisque, ettouffee, etc)

• Like 1

If you're looking for bars in the Gulch, check out Hops and Crafts. Of course, the burgeoning beer scene in the city is amplified by a few amazing breweries that have taprooms, such as Yazoo and Tennessee Brewing.

Also...don't be one of those people waiting in the crazy line outside Pancake Pantry. It's just not worth it. Decent food, but waaaay overhyped. And most of the people queuing don't know how to make way for pedestrians trying to use the sidewalk. Grr. (I swear I'm not bitter at them.)

Edited by Nathan_in_DC
  • Like 1

Here is the MHZC staff report for the massive Fountains Germantown proposal http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/09%2017%202014/SR%201403%203rd%20Avenue%20North.pdf.  It is very interesting that the design guidelines in Germantown's HPZ district allow for taller heights on the 3rd Ave side because there is less historic context there.  I'm not sure that I entirely agree with that -- Germantown's historic context is spotty everywhere -- but I don't object to the reasoning.

I have to go to next Wednesday's hearing because there are about a half dozen Eastwood items on the docket so I will report back if there is any particularly interesting discussion from the Commissioners.

In related North Side news, Aerial's cottage development on 4th Ave North in Salemtown is being recommended for disapproval again.  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/09%2017%202014/SR%201706-1708%204th%20Ave%20-%20Revised.pdf

The Fountains Germantown design was approved by the Commissioners at yesterday's hearing.  The architect noted several revisions that had been made to the plan to have "step downs" heading into the neighborhood.  The greatest amount of deliberation focused on Building B, the 4th Ave N parcel.  Commissioners discussed the fact that Building B would feature quite a lot of doors/windows/access points along the north/south walls of the property, which would actually face directly onto (and over) the adjacent properties.  Typically, the design guidelines require that doors face the actual street, or at least an alley.  But that one was approved after a lengthy discussion.

Aerial Development did come to this month's hearing and claimed that that they did not receive notice about last month's hearing.  They requested to have their original application re-heard, but the Commissioners declined to do so.  Because why would the Commissioners turn around and approve the same design that they just disapproved last month?  After a presentation by Aerial's attorney, the Commissioners agreed to hear a revised plan at yesterday's hearing (apparently the revised plan is already ready) at the heel of yesterday's hearing.  But ultimately the team decided to wait until next month's hearing in order to make some further revisions.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

The Fountains Germantown design was approved by the Commissioners at yesterday's hearing.  The architect noted several revisions that had been made to the plan to have "step downs" heading into the neighborhood.  The greatest amount of deliberation focused on Building B, the 4th Ave N parcel.  Commissioners discussed the fact that Building B would feature quite a lot of doors/windows/access points along the north/south walls of the property, which would actually face directly onto (and over) the adjacent properties.  Typically, the design guidelines require that doors face the actual street, or at least an alley.  But that one was approved after a lengthy discussion.

Thanks for the updates.    I'm not crazy about the massing of the Fountains project in this location.   Seems like townhomes, in the scale of Luxus, 4th & Monroe and Morgan Park Place, would be a better fit in this part of the neighborhood.     Although I do appreciate that Building A on 3rd is replacing a large industrial structure.  Replacing it with a much larger structure.             

Thanks for the updates.    I'm not crazy about the massing of the Fountains project in this location.   Seems like townhomes, in the scale of Luxus, 4th & Monroe and Morgan Park Place, would be a better fit in this part of the neighborhood.     Although I do appreciate that Building A on 3rd is replacing a large industrial structure.  Replacing it with a much larger structure.             

It could be a good thing for that block to have a dominate building.  Madison b/t 5th and 6th completely changed (for the good) once Vista filled the entire block.  

• Like 2

As a Vandy fan (since the early 1970s), Memphis Tiger fan (since the late 1960s) and MTSU fan (since 1981 when I enrolled), I simply have no energy to root for UT. And I don't feel I should have to cheer for "the state's team." Similarly, I don't think a UT fan living in Nashville would have a reason to support the city by pulling for Vandy.

Now as to the South Carolina Gamecocks ...

On that theme, Columbia is a fine city. Big-time zoo. Five Points is impressive, as is The Vista. There is an emerging urban fabric vibe. Lots of potential.

Welcome, colasc.

As a Vandy fan (since the early 1970s), Memphis Tiger fan (since the late 1960s) and MTSU fan (since 1981 when I enrolled), I simply have no energy to root for UT. And I don't feel I should have to cheer for "the state's team." Similarly, I don't think a UT fan living in Nashville would have a reason to support the city by pulling for Vandy.

Now as to the South Carolina Gamecocks ...

On that theme, Columbia is a fine city. Big-time zoo. Five Points is impressive, as is The Vista. There is an emerging urban fabric vibe. Lots of potential.

Welcome, colasc.

Edited by East Side Urbanite

I don't advocate anyone cheering for "the state's team" just because. Everyone has their reasons for fandom. I have 2 generations of relatives (on both sides, and both parents) that graduated from UT. I've had a good reason to cheer for them for birth, regardless of my physical location. 

My parents moved to Montgomery, AL after graduation. Had they stayed there long enough for my birth (thank God they didn't), I would still likely be a UT fan, and not an Auburn or Alabama fan.

It could be a good thing for that block to have a dominate building.  Madison b/t 5th and 6th completely changed (for the good) once Vista filled the entire block.  

I get that.  And certainly Fountains will dominate the 3rd Ave side including a corner. But the 4th Ave side will be a rather large structure mid-block.  That's a different scenario that the Commissioners clearly struggled with but ultimately decided that the evolving nature of Germantown meant that a large mid-block structure in this area could be treated differently than a large (in height and mass) mid-block building in a more consistent part of Germantown or almost any part of any other historic district.

In terms of Vista, I think that the Madison side is the good side.  I really struggle with certain aspects of the Jefferson side.  And I have little or no use for the 5th Ave side.

• Like 1

In terms of Vista, I think that the Madison side is the good side.  I really struggle with certain aspects of the Jefferson side.  And I have little or no use for the 5th Ave side.

I live on Madison across from Vista and while I initially did not like the building, I have grown to love it. Lets not talk about the almost 2 years of construction, Argh. The intersection at 5th and Madison and Madison St have changed a lot for the good in the 7 years I have lived there. More people are living around me and walking around the neighborhood. Saturday morning is a great time to sit at Red Bicycle and watch people out and about.

• Like 2