Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Regarding the Peafowl image - The chain link fence and parking lot are already there, according to Google Street View.  They are actually making the parking lot a bit smaller to accommodate the outdoor space that connects the restaurant spaces.  It's a small lot, really.  In Germantown it's a major advantage for the development to have some dedicated parking.

• Like 1

So would a HRH and a Virgin compete for the same market (which b.t.w. I am not in!!)?  No doubt, I'd expect both to cater to the music biz in Nashville.

Just a hunch, but I'd guess that a Hard Rock Hotel would appeal more to the crowd that spends their vacation on lower Broadway in the honky-tonks and chain restaurants. A Virgin Hotel would seem to appeal to a more trendy type, or possibly a suit-and-tie crowd, wouldn't it? Again, just a hunch based on what I know about the brands.

But as for it being in the Gannett / Tennessean lot, that wouldn't surprise since it's been on the market for a year or so. And once the city finishes this beautification project on that stretch of 11th, that area will definitely have a fresher pedestrian-friendly vibe.

Edited by Jamie Hall

There is also the empty lot directly across the street (4th) from Peafowl that the John O Hill company used for additional storage when they were in the building. Not sure if that lot is part of this project for additional parking.

I've forgotten what all is going in the renovated Peafowl. Cochon Butcher is one. A coffee shop I think? Aren't there a couple others?

There is also the empty lot directly across the street (4th) from Peafowl that the John O Hill company used for additional storage when they were in the building. Not sure if that lot is part of this project for additional parking.

I've forgotten what all is going in the renovated Peafowl. Cochon Butcher is one. A coffee shop I think? Aren't there a couple others?

Little Donkey, Cochon Butcher, Octane Coffee, and Juice Bar with fill the retail spaces while offices for Fresh Capital Group will occupy the second floor.

If Studio A can be saved, this can surely find an angel investor to save it from the wrecking ball.

Where is the Metro Historical Society when you need them

• Like 2

Buildings have been removed along 4th Ave just south of KVB.  Does anyone know if this is just going to be parking?  (This is across from Little Mexico)

This one?

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1566341,-86.7743226,3a,75y,180.74h,77.97t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sDPeEz1Sg6KrWe-QN_ewsaQ!2e0

Ron is correct - this is owned by Dr. Jay Patel and, to my recollection, was to be the Spring HIll/Courtyard combo lot. Original NPost article: https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2013/1/16/two_marriott_hotels_slated_for_sobro

From the N Post.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2014/10/21/developer_seeks_height_variance_for_possible_rutledge_hill_project

This is behind the paywall, but this project is a Meeks project and they are trying to get a variance for the building below. I had seen the rendering some time ago and will have a neat shape, but the colors might offend some of you.

QFl2UYI.png

Not sure at this moment what will happen here. If my memory serves me, the property is owned by a hotel group out of Green Hills.

Did someone strap an IED to a unicorn in front of that building? Pretty cool design though.

My question is, with the amount of large scale projects on the horizon and only street surface parking for guests and businesses, when does a lack of available parking begin to adversely affect Germantown? 

Most of the larger projects going in Germantown have parking for residents, guests, and business employees/visitors built in to their SPs.  It is true that parking requirements in the Urban Zoning Overlay, which includes Germantown, are less than those outside the UZO, but the SPs are reviewed by Public Works/Traffic and Parking staff, who make recommendations to the Planning Commission.  It is also not unheard of for the community to comment on parking and to require additional amounts of parking above the UZO requirements in order to recommend approval to the Council Member.

Having said that, the smaller projects, including restaurants, actually pose the most challenges in terms of on-street parking demand.  It can be difficult to predict when a coffee shop, pizza place or burger joint is going to be trendy and have people lined up around the block, all of whom drove separately.

But again, the irony is that the larger the project in terms of units, the more Planning controls are in place to ensure adequate parking on site (not on street). The smaller the project, the less room there is on site to build parking decks, and the more pressure is placed on on-street parking availability.  And restaurants are the prime on-street parking users.  So as the restaurant and entertainment offerings increase in Germantown, there is no denying that on-street parking will be at a premium despite the efforts of the Planning Department to incorporate adequate parking decks for the large apartment/condo projects. 

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1