Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Looking forward to the new commercial space on 5th and Monroe. As much as I like to eat out at restaurants in the neighborhood, I am eager to see some other retail options besides restaurants opening up around here. Anything that can help me avoid getting into my car and driving to another neighborhood or...god forbid to the mall.

Welcome to the forum. I think Germantown will be seeing a lot more options in the near future. I am curious as to why the Roos project has not got any retail tenants yet.

It was my understanding that the plans in the WKRN story were all for the block between 6th & 7th avenues.  My assumption would be that they would market the property that Tony had optioned to another developer.  Surely somebody can get a hotel project going on that prime piece of real estate!

Here's a September 2013 master plan of the church expansion that shows which lots are in play: http://www.firstbaptistnashville.org/images/wygwam/FBC%20MPIC%20Master%20Plan%20Presentation.pdf

Noticed this afternoon boring equipment in the lot across Church from NES. Any word on what's going on there?

I saw that, too. I don't remember the exact plan for that property, but it was sold several months ago to a developer who planned to tear down that building and put up a hotel or residential tower. Maybe somebody else can clarify.

So tony essentially spent around 2 million dollars most likely with fees and the advances on the property, and yet it sounds like this hotel never had any traction with investors. Ouch. If we really need a full service hotel, wouldn't investors be clamoring to come in and make a profit?

I saw that, too. I don't remember the exact plan for that property, but it was sold several months ago to a developer who planned to tear down that building and put up a hotel or residential tower. Maybe somebody else can clarify.

Depending on who this group gets to help in the development, which are some heavy hitters, it may be a sizable project. I have heard a dollar amount and will expect this to be a nice project.

• Like 1

Perhaps with the Westin project seeming likely and the Turnberry and Mark Bloom things hanging as possibilities it got harder to justify over the past year. If any two of those occur three might start to make a crowd.

So tony essentially spent around 2 million dollars most likely with fees and the advances on the property, and yet it sounds like this hotel never had any traction with investors. Ouch. If we really need a full service hotel, wouldn't investors be clamoring to come in and make a profit?

Maybe the Northpoint project on KVB across from the Omni will move ahead, now. Someone suggested they might have been stalled in building their dual Marriott brand because of Tony G's proposal.

From an earlier article (a couple of years ago?)...

North Point Hospitality Group Inc. is formulating a two-phase project with hotels that will address both Fifth Avenue and Korean Veterans Boulevard, according to S. Jay Patel, company president and chief executive officer. By the end of the year, North Point hopes to break on Phase I of the development, a 14-story 200-room Residence Inn by Marriott.

By early 2015, North Point expects to begin Phase II, which will include both a 150-room SpringHill Suites by Marriott and a one-floor 50-space addition to the parking structure. Fronting Fifth Avenue and rising 11 stories, the SpringHill Suites will be built on top of the 250-space parking garage, making it a 16-story structure. All the rooms in the hotel will face either west toward Midtown or east toward the Cumberland River.

HiltonGarden_zpsf9f4b173.jpg

Rendering of an Atlanta Project built recently by Northpoint of the same scale and height originally proposed for Nashville.

Edited by PHofKS

This is just my $.02. The new building they are working on is a significant improvement over what was there (from what I've seen so far). So in reality, we are actually seeing a net gain.

Having said that, I'm glad Metro gave them a stop work order. I also hope they get a serious talking to and some sort of disciplinary measure is taken. While they may have improved the site, this is not something that should be tolerated. What if the renovations that are planned for the Ryman resulted in its demolition without any say-so?

• Like 3