Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Hot chicken in Germantown!  http://nashville.eater.com/archives/2014/06/30/hot-chicken-here-1.php

I was this trailer pop up recently beside Supreme Choppers barber shop.  I wanted to give it a try yesterday, but they're not opened just yet.  We'll have to wait until July 5th.    

Edited by Bezoar
  • Like 1

Hot chicken in Germantown!  http://nashville.eater.com/archives/2014/06/30/hot-chicken-here-1.php

I was this trailer pop up recently beside Supreme Choppers barber shop.  I wanted to give it a try yesterday, but they're not opened just yet.  We'll have to wait until July 5th.    

saw them out working on it over the weekend, will def try once they are up and going

great to hear, however I am ready to see cranes for The Sobro, The Westin, and this project. Proposal are great, cranes are better.

I'm wondering whether The Westin, this project and Tony's Marriott can all three happen.  If so, there will be a ton of cranes at that intersection.

With the Westin and now the Turnberry project going up across the street, is anybody really surprised by this? Hopefully this will allow Tony to focus more on his other current projects, as he needs to get at least one going. Now that this is dead and hopefully the SoBro starting soon, he can put most of his focus on 505. 

In a way I'm kinda glad that Tony is becoming a little more realistic with his vision.  At the same time though, I see the church pastor talking about how he is hopeful now that they can go through with expansion, and all I can think is that I REALLY hope another developer comes through and gives them an offer they can't refuse.  I can't think of many things I'd be less enthusiastic about seeing built right there across the street from the MCC RIGHT smack in the heart of downtown's entrainment/convention/hotel district than a suburban style church that spans two entire blocks.  I mean, I have nothing against churches.  It's their land and they should be able, for the most part, to do what they want with it.  But what an unbelievable waste of the most PRIME of prime lots if it just becomes some sort of church rec. center or something. 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4

Looking forward to the new commercial space on 5th and Monroe. As much as I like to eat out at restaurants in the neighborhood, I am eager to see some other retail options besides restaurants opening up around here. Anything that can help me avoid getting into my car and driving to another neighborhood or...god forbid to the mall.

Interesting.  That's new to me.  This quote from the developer has me a bit concerned though: "We're targeting something a little more private in nature and self-contained."  Nothing necessarily wrong with that in concept, but if you want to build an inward facing complex that is shut off from the surrounding community, then The Gulch is not the place to do it.  That isn't really the point of urban neighborhoods. 

Edited by BnaBreaker

I mean, I have nothing against churches.  It's their land and they should be able, for the most part, to do what they want with it.  But what an unbelievable waste of the most PRIME of prime lots if it just becomes some sort of church rec. center or something. 

Amen.

• Like 1

I don't like the sound of this either;

"The ground floor will be retail, with on-site parking", he said.

The site isn't big enough to include a wrapped parking structure.   I fear the worst (surface parking between building and street).   

"private and self-contained" with ground level retail?    those two descriptions seem at odds with each other.     

The site isn't big enough to include a wrapped parking structure.   I fear the worst (surface parking between building and street).   

"private and self-contained" with ground level retail?    those two descriptions seem at odds with each other.     

This lot is only about 90x150 so I doubt there would be any kind of room for surface parking, not sure how they'll swing it.  Also I believe per the zoning the building will have to be built up to the sidewalk.

If the First Baptist's expansion/redevelopment follows through along the lines of the renderings they released back in 2012, the buildings will have an architectural harmony with the nearby arena and convention center.  I've attached a link to a WKRN story from the time of the announcement that includes the renderings.  I'd much rather have them as neighbors on that property than the homeless shelter, for sure!

http://www.wkrn.com/story/17022123/first-baptist-church-nashville-votes-to-expand-upgrade-campus

This lot is only about 90x150 so I doubt there would be any kind of room for surface parking, not sure how they'll swing it.  Also I believe per the zoning the building will have to be built up to the sidewalk.

I hope that is the zoning, although I don't think the former structure went to the sidewalk. Yeah, I don't know. Maybe go underground for a couple of levels of parking?

I thought the above was happening on the remainder of the block the church is sitting on? I probably am missing a key piece of info here but when the pastor said "now" hopefully we can proceed with expansion I figured he was referencing some plan beyond the above proposal since the Marriott proposal was for the neighboring block. Or am I completely mixed up?

It was my understanding that the plans in the WKRN story were all for the block between 6th & 7th avenues.  My assumption would be that they would market the property that Tony had optioned to another developer.  Surely somebody can get a hotel project going on that prime piece of real estate!