Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Looking back at the 3 renderings of 505, the tall apartment tower would most likely be the best fit for the site once the the garage is built. This may be the only way Tony can make this happen sooner rather than 3 or 4 year down the road. Strike while the iron is hot!

That is what I have been thinking. On the other hand, the 9 million is about what Tony needs to finish paying off the Baptist site.

• Like 1

That is what I have been thinking. On the other hand, the 9 million is about what Tony needs to finish paying off the Baptist site.

You and FrankNash may be onto something.  I'm probably reading way too much into this, but in the released rendering of the residential only tower there does appear to be a rather chunky parking garage next to it on that same block:

Screen%20Shot%202013-11-26%20at%2012.37.

• Like 1

$34 Million is a lot of money, particularly for a garage regardless of the retail component. There's probably some additional structural elements being included in the design. I doubt it's anything that would accommodate a large tower, but something. For comparison, the City of Memphis built a new garage at Overton Square with 451 spaces and 1 million sq ft storm water retention structure underneath the garage for roughly $6 Million. I believe the garage structure was roughly $4 Million of that cost. 

According to the Tennessean the construction cost will be $21.6M. $9M of that $34 million dollar budget apparently went to Tony G. for purchasing the land. I'm not familiar with the garage your talking about in Memphis, but with this one being 6 stories (I read two stories underground as well somewhere), 1250 spaces vs. 451, and the retail aspect of it combined with the fact that I'm sure construction cost are probably much higher today then when the one in Memphis was built, $20-$30M sounds about right for this. I'm sure if this were being built to support a significantly sized tower it would probably be double that if I were to guess. 

Regardless, 505CST or either one of the latest 750ft designs won't work now, (weren't designed with a parking garage taking up 80% of the land) and any chance of a tower with any substantial height/size being built on top of this world class parking garage <---(sarcasm there in case you missed it) are slim to none. I'm usually the last person to be a debbie downer about things, but any hopes of a cities new tallest, or pretty much any kind of new signature tower are gone now with this location. Hell, might as well change the 505CST thread to cancelled, or change the title to 505 parking garage to be honest. 

You do realize that many residential projects, such as this one, don't need large lots because the residential tower proposal would likely have 3-4 units per floor, at most.

True, but .04 acres is pretty tiny. If something does get built on that lot it would be one extremely thin building. I mean, this would be the definition of a sliver tower for sure. In any case, it's seriously disappointing (to me atleast ) that any kind of building with some massing is now out of the picture. It's not like we have some vast dense skyline, a tall skinny toothpick looking tower right in the middle of the skyline would look rather ridiculous if you ask me, but again that's just my opinion. Oh well, a parking garage it is. Yay!

Looks like a new elevation for 1201 Demonbreun that gives the height relationship with 1212. Still a little bummed about the height of this one, but I bet the 1212 penthouse buyers are happy about the reduction. I wonder if something will be done to the gray box on the top to add some interest to the design.

northelevation_zpsa10268c2.jpg

Edited by ariesjow
  • Like 3

If anyone is interested, all of the Broadway signage/renovation items describe below were approved on Consent at yesterday's MHZC hearing. The application of the Historic Preservation District to the 200 block of Broadway (south side - the old Westin site) was also approved.  FWIW, the Broadway property owners were present and were in favor.  That particular rezoning will now go before Planning and the Council and should be wrapped up in July.  Then the existing SP can be cancelled and these properties can move on to the next phase of their lives.  Of course, any new structures will need to meet the Historic Preservation District design guidelines, so we can be fairly assured that the exteriors will be relatively high quality.  The real debate in Nashville at the moment seems to be about what would take place on the interiors of those buildings.  I am not venturing to comment on that topic :)

There are several Broadway items on the agenda for the Wednesday, June 18th MHZC hearing.  First and foremost is the consideration of adding the former Westin site back into the Broadway Historic Preservation District http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/06%20June%2018/SR%20Broadway%202014%20expansion.pdf .  This was part of the original deal that was worked out by then-CM Mike Jameson when the Westin deal was originally proposed.  So adding these blocks back into the Historic Preservation District is a condition for the cancellation of that SP. 

The cancellation of this SP will free up this block for development while preserving the contributing ("historic") structures, which include the Trail West building and the Richards & Richards records storage building.  Pretty much the rest of the block (Decades, the parking lots) is not contributing and can be demolished.  New structures would have to adhere to the design guidelines.

Other items of interest: 

Keep in mind that the signage design guidelines for Broadway were created in cooperation with the Broadway business/property owners themselves as part of the Downtown Code (DTC) and that the Metro Historic Zoning Commission includes respresentation from the downtown/broadway community.

• Like 2

are we about to see work begin on the gym at Hume Fogg? I noticed fencing going up around the back as I drove by this morning.

I saw a permit pulled recently for Hume Fogg but I don't recall what for.  Most likely it is for that gym.  If I am not mistaken, the gym was actually funded in last year's Capital Improvements Budget but may have been delayed in starting for some reason.  The gym design was approved by the MHZC a long time ago.  Definitely a more modern design than the main building, which is allowed under the Secretary of the Interior Standards.

• Like 1

are we about to see work begin on the gym at Hume Fogg? I noticed fencing going up around the back as I drove by this morning.

They pulled a 300,000 dollar permit for demo work before the construction can start. The smoke stack has to come down as well as other parts in the rear. But the answer I think can be said that work has started.

• Like 1

Alliance Development is seeking a variance for their new apartment project in the block between 2nd/3rd/Jefferson/Madison to go up to 85', which could mean a 7-story building at that site.  I cannot link to the story from this computer (maybe someone can).  The name of the project is Capstone... and it is to be designed by Meeks, like the project on Rosa Parks across from the Farmers Market.

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 3

If Tony can get both 505 and SOBRO completed, Nashville's skyline will finally have a more modern look with something other than square and rectangle towers. IMO the more residents we get in the CBD the better the vibe.

Agreed...although, from most angles, both of those buildings will just look like rectangles too.