Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

WW at the Post did find out the renderings for the CC site are current.

Related story below.

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/7/9/convention_center_site_project_reveals_updated_images

So glad to hear that.  It does appear they've been listening to what others have suggested and made some good changes.  Hopefully this means they will continue to tweak this design and get it even better.

Personally, the new "Nashville" doesn't bother me.  I predict many tourists will want to have their photos taken in front of the sign and it will become somewhat of a "landmark" in photos.  Let's just hope they actually make it look "hip" and not "hokey."

Here is the article. WASCO moving.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/7/10/germantowns_wasco_to_move_as_development_looms

A person at the site told me they have to be out by September.

I think we will have a rendering soon.

Thanks.    Any idea who owns the lot immediately across Jefferson from Broadstone, b/t 2nd and 3rd?     Noticed some trenching going on there yesterday, may have just been utility work related to the Sounds project.    

Thanks.    Any idea who owns the lot immediately across Jefferson from Broadstone, b/t 2nd and 3rd?     Noticed some trenching going on there yesterday, may have just been utility work related to the Sounds project.    

It might be the Jack Brown Beer and Burger Joint, which is supposed to be opening up at the corner of 3rd and Madison.  

Here is the article. WASCO moving.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/7/10/germantowns_wasco_to_move_as_development_looms

A person at the site told me they have to be out by September.

I think we will have a rendering soon.

Good to hear!

Do you know if there have been any other talks about the construction company that sits between 4th and 5th Ave N moving at any point?

Here is the MHZC docket for the renovation/addition to the Ryman's 4th Ave entrance  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/07%20July%2016/SR%20116%20Opry.pdf.

In other CBD/Sobro news, there is also a projecting sign permit for the Goo Goo store that will go in the law firm space on 3rd Ave behind the Trail West Building.  The sign permit issuance will be delayed until after that block is officially added in to the Broadway Historic Preservation Zoning District in August as a condition for the cancellation of the original Westin SP. 

Both of these items will be heard at the July 16th MHZC hearing.  This month's hearing will be a breeze compared to last month's hearing.

Good to hear!

Do you know if there have been any other talks about the construction company that sits between 4th and 5th Ave N moving at any point?

Jimmy Granbery of HG HIll talked a little about this in an interview a few months ago.  Hampton Crane has this leased short term, but the spot is owned by HG Hill Realty. No plans at the moment, but it sounds like they're trying to figure out what to do.  

So glad to hear that.  It does appear they've been listening to what others have suggested and made some good changes.  Hopefully this means they will continue to tweak this design and get it even better.

I'm trending towards the other camp, personally. I look at this new rendering and it reminds me a little bit too much of the Snodgrass ("Tennessee") tower... Talk about the epitome of bland. This does look very clean and modern, but I'm sure Snodgrass looked that way too when it was built. Now it looks plain boxy, uninteresting, and dated--I'm afraid this will be more of the same.

• Like 1

I walked through Creason's project on Scovel:  

The unit may only be 50 ft deep, but has a lot of windows on all 3 floors.  Total open concept on 1st with a fireplace and 3 closets built under the stairs (Washer/Dryer, Powder Room, Pantry).  2nd floor looks like 2 bed / 2 en-suite bath + a laundry room.  3rd floor is another bedroom + en-suite bath with outdoor balcony on the back that runs the width of the units and is about 8 ft deep.  This balcony has a spiral staircase that takes you to the 4th floor outdoor patio.  A good deal for 300,000, and of most likely a new price per sq ft standard in Buena Vista.  

0wcvPEc.jpg

Just spoke with Grant Hammond about these units, they will be listed at 375,000 on 7/21/2014.  Units are 1701 sq ft...would be 220 / sq ft, incredible 

• Like 1

These are attractive.    Are there more of them planned on Scovel?   (one might get that impression from the rendering)

The new address will be 1308A/B Scovel Street.

There is potential to add more heading west on Scovel (towards 11th Ave N).  The property next door (left when facing the units) was acquired on 12/13/13, looks like via Quit Claim Deed, from one family member to another, and the house is old/bad condition.  Property on the right was built in 05, small brick home.  

I know there is a planned project at 11th Ave / Scovel St (Believe it is 5-6 units with garages).  

Good to hear!

Bezoar is 100% correct. I think we may even see something start happening sooner rather than later.

That location is the most prime, IMO, in all of Germantown. It's just screaming build on me and soon. Hill realty tends to be very deliberate in how they do things and I would expect a good bit of ground level retail. At least I hope so.

• Like 1

Did the city make a mistake by not making sure they had enough full-service hotel rooms ready by the time the MCC was finished?  I'm sure they were trying to get some built...but did they do enough to make it happen more quickly?

I realize there's only so much you can do to entice someone to spend their own money to build...but it sure seems like some of the hotels could have been courted and built a little sooner than this.  Seems like we won't have enough rooms until at least 4 years after the MCC's opening.

WW at the Post did find out the renderings for the CC site are current.

Related story below.

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/7/9/convention_center_site_project_reveals_updated_images

Great!

Bezoar is 100% correct. I think we may even see something start happening sooner rather than later.

That location is the most prime, IMO, in all of Germantown. It's just screaming build on me and soon. Hill realty tends to be very deliberate in how they do things and I would expect a good bit of ground level retail. At least I hope so.

When I moved to Germantown in '10 I bought the condo at the corner of Madison & 6th, which was across the street from an old warehouse with bums squatting in it.  Obviously Vista was built, and recently sold for $53.25 mm.  It completely changed the block.  

Once someone buys and develops the the lot b/t 4th & 5th, it will make the "Heart" of Germantown amazing.  

• Like 1

Did the city make a mistake by not making sure they had enough full-service hotel rooms ready by the time the MCC was finished?  I'm sure they were trying to get some built...but did they do enough to make it happen more quickly?

I realize there's only so much you can do to entice someone to spend their own money to build...but it sure seems like some of the hotels could have been courted and built a little sooner than this.  Seems like we won't have enough rooms until at least 4 years after the MCC's opening.

Great!

The biggest mistake the city did was the outlandish deal with Omni for a hotel that isn't even close to being big enough. Now look at all the developers trying to build hotels around the convention center and doing it with little to no help from the city. If anything they were too desperate trying to land a hotel. They should have been more patient. 

"Metro will give Rowling's Omni $103 million over the next 20 years, with the cash coming from the seemingly bottomless pot of tourism taxes supposedly generated by new convention business. In addition, we'll cough up another $25 million in tax-increment financing to help Omni buy the hotel land. Plus we're giving Omni a fat property-tax break, amounting to two-thirds of what Rowling would owe.

So essentially, he's building this hotel at half price. At no added cost, this deal comes complete with city tourism officials working like little dogs to fill up Rowling's rooms with conventioneers."

Edited by mirydi
  • Like 1

Once someone buys and develops the the lot b/t 4th & 5th, it will make the "Heart" of Germantown amazing.  

So true.   Not to mention what will be just across Jefferson from that with the stadium and the Embrey and Sounds residential buildings and Geist eventually.    The area will look and feel vastly different. 

• Like 1