Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Since I see this hotel several times a day from my bedroom, I've gotten used to the construction.  This evening, I noticed that they're coming along nicely with work on the parking garage in the back.  Last Saturday, I met someone who was touring the Gulch because they were considering the job to be manager of the hotel.

There are several Broadway items on the agenda for the Wednesday, June 18th MHZC hearing.  First and foremost is the consideration of adding the former Westin site back into the Broadway Historic Preservation District http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/06%20June%2018/SR%20Broadway%202014%20expansion.pdf .  This was part of the original deal that was worked out by then-CM Mike Jameson when the Westin deal was originally proposed.  So adding these blocks back into the Historic Preservation District is a condition for the cancellation of that SP. 

The cancellation of this SP will free up this block for development while preserving the contributing ("historic") structures, which include the Trail West building and the Richards & Richards records storage building.  Pretty much the rest of the block (Decades, the parking lots) is not contributing and can be demolished.  New structures would have to adhere to the design guidelines.

Other items of interest: 

Keep in mind that the signage design guidelines for Broadway were created in cooperation with the Broadway business/property owners themselves as part of the Downtown Code (DTC) and that the Metro Historic Zoning Commission includes respresentation from the downtown/broadway community.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

^Well I guess we can forget about 505CST or either one of the two new designs ever happening. No room now. I guess the only thing he could build now is some kind of sliver tower looking like a toothpick sticking out in the center of the skyline. Awesome! One of the best sites in the whole city and it gets used for a parking garage...(smh)

Most disappointing news I've read in a looooong time.

Edit: I just don't see how this was beneficial to Tony, but what do I know. All for a measley $4M bucks. You would think he would make more than that in the long run by keeping it a parking lot and charging fees.

Edited by mirydi

^Well I guess we can forget about 505CST or either one of the two new designs ever happening. No room now. I guess the only thing he could build now is some kind of sliver tower looking like a toothpick sticking out in the center of the skyline. Awesome! One of the best sites in the whole city and it gets used for a parking garage...(smh)

Most disappointing news I've read in a looooong time.

There still seems to be some ambiguity to this deal and how it pertains to potential plans for 505CST.  Statements made by Mr. Harbison indicate that the proposed garage would blend in with Tony G's plans for the block.  So who knows?  Tony is the one being reticent here.  Maybe he will end up working with MDHA on the design aspect of this structure and then build his structure in front of and on top of this garage with a lobby facing Church Street?

I am assuming that the $34M MDHA is allocating for this downtown parking garage on 5th Ave N is the same downtown parking garage (budgeted at $35M) that appears in the Capital Improvements Budget that the Council will consider tonight.  There is another CIB line item for a parking garage in 12South.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

According to the article... only .4 of an acre is left. Seems that the 505 as a tallest is just pie in the sky.  A six story garage... probably will get "hitched" to a short residential building. Reality!  After all, Tony G. has to feed his family too. Still makes you wonder what might have been done with the Sudekum building on the next block with a little imagination.  We'll never know. 

• Like 1

Well, we might be out a new tallest building, which would have been beautiful, striking, and ground-breaking and gotten the city a new corporate headquarters and international acclaim...but at least people won't have to walk three minutes after they park their cars anymore!!!  Hooray for auto-dependency! 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

I don't think we know how this will all play out just yet.  I would be willing to bet that Tony was needing additional parking to make any office building work.  It is entirely possible that he approached MDHA with this proposal and in the contract retains rights to build on top of the garage as part of a larger building. It is telling, IMO, that the property he sold was in the "back" of the lot, so the prominent street front will still remain with him. In the end this could be the exact thing that needed to happen to attract the large tenant that will be needed to build 505CST.  Of course, it's also possible he was motivated to do this to get the cash needed to get Sobro out of the ground, but that doesn't preclude him from using the parking garage as a net positive in getting 505 built.

• Like 1

You can develop ontop of a garage...

In order to build on top of a garage, (especially a building with any significant height) the garage has to be engineered to be able to support it. I could be wrong here, but I don't think MDHA is going to pay for the garage to be able to support a private developers needs.

In order to build on top of a garage, (especially a building with any significant height) the garage has to be engineered to be able to support it. I could be wrong here, but I don't think MDHA is going to pay for the garage to be able to support a private developers needs.

$34 Million is a lot of money, particularly for a garage regardless of the retail component. There's probably some additional structural elements being included in the design. I doubt it's anything that would accommodate a large tower, but something. For comparison, the City of Memphis built a new garage at Overton Square with 451 spaces and 1 million sq ft storm water retention structure underneath the garage for roughly $6 Million. I believe the garage structure was roughly $4 Million of that cost. 

Tony could have made it part of the contract to buy the land.

Looking back at the 3 renderings of 505, the tall apartment tower would most likely be the best fit for the site once the the garage is built. This may be the only way Tony can make this happen sooner rather than 3 or 4 year down the road. Strike while the iron is hot!

Who is pushing Erica Gilmore to put the tourist district restrictions in? Appears some, Marks / Turner / Corner have misgivings about it. Who is behind this push? Surely this isn't her initiative.

My guess is that the impetus for this legislation arose from Butch Spyridon/the Nashville Convention and Visitors Corporation.  One of the most interesting facets of this debate is that prominent land use attorney Tom White is supporting this legislation.