Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Alliance Development is seeking a variance for their new apartment project in the block between 2nd/3rd/Jefferson/Madison to go up to 85', which could mean a 7-story building at that site.  I cannot link to the story from this computer (maybe someone can).  The name of the project is Capstone... and it is to be designed by Meeks, like the project on Rosa Parks across from the Farmers Market.

whats the website your finding this info on?

When/if those two towers are built, there should finally be enough downtown residents to support considerable more retail development!

It's still hard to imagine that downtown actually had a shopping mall 20 years ago, but it was just way before its time. Wait another 5 or 10 years and a project like that could (maybe) work.

Some of that is old info... but the variance request is new.  The height tells me that they want to go up to 7 stories.

They are wanting to put a sky deck in for the residents of the apartments. I don't think that was in the story, but I know that is what the height is for.

The name will be Broadstone @ Germantown

• Like 2

It's still hard to imagine that downtown actually had a shopping mall 20 years ago, but it was just way before its time. Wait another 5 or 10 years and a project like that could (maybe) work.

It was actually sort of "between" its times.  Castner-Knott still operated its flagship store on Church St when the mall was open.  They both closed about the same time if I recall correctly.  Prior to that, a couple of other department stores had been on Church.  These stores held on much longer than in many other cities' downtown shopping areas.  Now, with an urban resurgence, it may again be "time."

Interestingly, Church Street Centre (I think I remember "center" being spelled like that) was quite a nice mall when it first opened.  A professional pianist was employed to play a grand piano in the food court during lunch hours.  The downtown workers didn't provide enough business; and the mall didn't attract the suburban masses as had been touted.

• Like 1

It was actually sort of "between" its times.  Castner-Knott still operated its flagship store on Church St when the mall was open.  They both closed about the same time if I recall correctly.  Prior to that, a couple of other department stores had been on Church.  These stores held on much longer than in many other cities' downtown shopping areas.  Now, with an urban resurgence, it may again be "time."

Interestingly, Church Street Centre (I think I remember "center" being spelled like that) was quite a nice mall when it first opened.  A professional pianist was employed to play a grand piano in the food court during lunch hours.  The downtown workers didn't provide enough business; and the mall didn't attract the suburban masses as had been touted.

And it was during a time when there were like zero downtown residents, so the stores essentially had to rely on lunch hour traffic.    I agree it was a nice-looking mall, as malls go.    There was a decent Mexican restaurant in there that we frequented.  

Edited by CenterHill

If Tony can get both 505 and SOBRO completed, Nashville's skyline will finally have a more modern look with something other than square and rectangle towers. IMO the more residents we get in the CBD the better the vibe.

I agree. Those two towers being sleek all glass structures with a curvy design would do wonders for the skyline. I myself hope that design trend continues for a while as almost every building in the city seems to have that bland beige 70's-80's look to it. The Pinnacle building by itself made a huge difference, but it would be nice to have a tall glass modern looking tower in the CBD as well. 

• Like 1

And it was during a time when there were like zero downtown residents, so the stores essentially had to rely on lunch hour traffic.    I agree it was a nice-looking mall, as malls go.    There was a decent Mexican restaurant in there that we frequented.

Nine-Points Mesa. I remember going there on weekends.

• Like 1

Oh, I enjoyed many fajitas and margaritas at Nine Points!  It was great while it lasted.

One thing from Church Street Centre that HAS lasted...at a different address...is Ann Brown's The Arts Company, which is now one of the anchors of the collection of galleries along the Fifth Avenue of the Arts between Church and Union.  Her space in the mall was on the upper level near the large windows with the spectacular view of the state capitol building.

Somewhat sad that the mall was a failure, but I think the library is a better fit for that address.  I'm hopeful that we will see retail return in storefronts that will line the streets in some sections of downtown!

• Like 2

The Nashville Business Journal posted a teaser article exploring - without naming - the "type of grocery store" that Boyle/NWM are looking for at 11th/Charlotte and the impact that said grocery store would have on all downtown residential living  http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/06/boyle-sheds-light-on-the-kind-of-grocery-store-its.html.

When is this project supposed to start? It seems like it's just been cleared land for some time now. Is there a timetable, or is it still more of a "proposal"?

It seems like they should be turning dirt by now. I don't get the hold up.

I think that it will still be awhile.  My understanding is that discussions are still ongoing regarding utility matters, among other things.

When is this project supposed to start? It seems like it's just been cleared land for some time now. Is there a timetable, or is it still more of a "proposal"?

It seems like they should be turning dirt by now. I don't get the hold up.

From the article: "In a perfect world, we do not want to open anything of ours until spring 2017 or later, so we're not competing with HCA trying to settle in,"

"To say just, 'We want an organic grocer,' that's not broad enough. It needs those basic services as well," Fawcett said.

I think this quote from the article might indicate that Whole Foods will NOT be the store to land in this development.  My money's on Publix, with Harris Teeter as the other possibility!

I agree that Publix and Harris teeter are other possibilities. However, I was leaning towards Whole Foods because of this comment:

"It needs the ability to offer the day-to-day grocery shopping experience. It needs to be very strong in prepared foods — at least a to-go component, and maybe offering a cafe.

Whole Foods has the most extensive prepared food section of any of these by a long shot. The Green Hills Whole Foods effectively serves as a restaurant for the area around Hill Center. I know Harris Teeter and Publix have prepared food, but I've never heard of anyone making a trip to these places to eat lunch like they do with Whole Foods. Maybe those two grocers could do that, but they'll have to really up their game compared to their current locations.

I can't think of anything that Publix or Harris Teeter offers that Whole Foods doesn't. I think the comment about the organic grocer needing to offer more is an indication that they are not looking at stores like The Turnip Truck.

Edited by Hey_Hey

Spoke with Anthony Cherry, the listing agent for Buena Vista Place at Cheatham & 11th, another one of the units is under contract.  He sent me a teaser PDF he is using for his marketing and some floor plan pics from RealTracs.  

FFBsvkl.jpg

hr1551269-8.jpg

hr1551269-10.jpg

hr1551269-9.jpg

hr1551269-12.jpg

Edited by HGMIII
  • Like 1