Nashville food and beverage scene

smeagolsfree

Well, maybe i'm wrong about Gerst being a "contract". Maybe Yazoo has just revived it as one of their own. But yes, Yazoo brews it, but i had thought the recipe was owned by the Gerst descendants, which is what i meant by contract. I think they "contract" the Jubilee for someone in Kentucky. I could be wrong though.

But, i know what you mean. It's one thing for a true brewer like Yazoo to say "hey, that's a great recipe, let's partner up", but it's another for a "brewery" to sell their "craft" that is produced in another region of the country.

Edit for correction;

From Jubilee's website;

"In March of 2010, the first batch of Jubilee Nut Brown Ale hit the shelves in Middle Tennessee, thanks to the good folks at Bluegrass Brewing Company.  In January of 2013, Jubilee brought production closer to home, partnering with Mayday Brewery in Murfreesboro TN to release Randy’s IPA."

I'm not sure if that's what we would call "contract", but i like their beer and it's for a good cause.

From Yazoo's website;

"Check out a piece of Nashville brewing history! Gerst Brewery was the original Nashville brewery, but never recovered after prohibition. We are excited to partner with the Chandler Family, owners of the Gerst Haus Restaurant, to bring this beer back right where it belongs - Nashville, Tennessee."

Edit/edit;

​Well, obviously i've mucked up my whole side of this argument, but i guess that my point is that i don't see contract brewing as inherently "bad". True, i love a good craftsman and love to see their work first hand. But just like if i were doing a kitchen remodel and wanted hand made cabinets either someone builds them onsite, or buys them pre-made from another craftsman and installs them with precision. Either one can be a good result, as long as both parties are good at their craft. But there can certainly be a weak link in that equation.

If I'm not mistaken, He'Brew was for a very long time a contract brewer, and they have always had some very good craft brews. I don't think anyone questions their craft-credentials.

Well, I grabbed a sixer of the Tailgate IPA to give it a shot. Meh. Not very hoppy and kinda has a "light beer" nose to it. I'm not really a fan. It would probably make a decent "introductory" beer if you were trying to convert a Bud light drinker to a more hoppy palette, similar to Blue Moon for wheats. But I doubt many craft enthusiasts will really like it.

Interesting note. Their can states "brewed and canned by Tailgate Beer. Nashville, TN". It says nothing about any third party. So far, I've only heard "through the grapevine" that they contract, so I'd like to get the real scoop on that if someone has a source.

Has anyone tried any of the new places that have opened recently like: Hurry Back, Sinema, The Flipside, Acme Feed & Seed

Went to Hurry Back a week or so ago. Nice little beer joint, with an emphasis on craft brew. Not much in the way of food, likely just substantive enough to pass the beer board.

I've been to several of the new restaurants. Sinema is a beautiful restoration of the old Melrose Theater and I was there only about a week after the opening. The food was very uneven but has major potential once they have the opening kinks out. The major concern is the prices, most entrees are in excess of $30 and appetizers north of $14. One of the most impressive of,the new is Jonathan Waxman's Adeles's in the Gulch. Food is really good and a very relaxed casual atmosphere and reasonable prices.

Went to Hurry Back before an Exit/In show a few weeks ago.  Stood at the bar and made eye contact with the bartender a few times while she was doing other stuff.  Stood there way too long without being served.  Walked out.

Stepped into Acme after last weeks Dancin' In The District, didn't stay but the room is huge and looks really great.

The restaurant space in the 5th and Main ground floor is cursed.  Since 2011 it's gone from being Allium, Germantown Cafe East, and most recently Antica. . . which has now also folded to make way for a sports bar.  http://nashville.eater.com/archives/2014/07/30/5th-mains-antica-closes-fieldhouse-sports-bar-to-take-its-place.php#more

Edited by Bezoar

The restaurant space in the 5th and Main ground floor is cursed.  Since 2011 it's gone from being Allium, Germantown Cafe East, and most recently Antica. . . which has now also folded to make way for a sports bar.  http://nashville.eater.com/archives/2014/07/30/5th-mains-antica-closes-fieldhouse-sports-bar-to-take-its-place.php#more

Ugh. As a resident of this development, I'm not excited about the influx of "bros" that are sure to come along with anything sports-related. Last thing we need is a last call at 3:00 AM and tons of noise in the courtyard while I'm trying to sleep.

Ugh. As a resident of this development, I'm not excited about the influx of "bros" that are sure to come along with anything sports-related. Last thing we need is a last call at 3:00 AM and tons of noise in the courtyard while I'm trying to sleep.

You get used to it.

There's already a bar in the building, right?  

Actually, to clarify about the 5th & Main spots (I double-checked this on Google maps) ...

Antica was the smaller bar in the center of those street-level spots. It was formerly a chicken place, then Myridia.

Feast (now closed) is that big corner restaurant spot with the view of downtown. It was formerly Germantown East and then Allium. That spot has been empty for a while now.

But suffice it to say, both spots have been very hard sells to the public. Best of luck to them.

Edited by Jamie Hall

Stout Burgers and Beers Looks to Be Headed to Town

http://nashville.eater.com/archives/2014/07/31/stout-burgers-and-beers-looks-to-be-headed-to-town.php

Stout Burgers and Beers out of Los Angeles plans to open up their first location outside of California in Brentwood.

The Flipside, 12 South's new chicken-centric eatery

http://nashville.eater.com/archives/2014/07/18/take-a-look-inside-the-flipside-now-open-in-12-south.php

This Place looks super cool....gonna have to try it out.

^ I went to the Flipside on 12th last Saturday night around 7:30pm. It's very loud and you almost have to yell to talk to someone. Drinks are good, the food is decent, but I could've just ordered the wrong thing. I made mention of the noise level to our waiter, and he recommended coming back during the week in the afternoon. Not sure I'll be back anytime soon though...

My opinion, FWIW.

^ I went to the Flipside on 12th last Saturday night around 7:30pm. It's very loud and you almost have to yell to talk to someone. Drinks are good, the food is decent, but I could've just ordered the wrong thing. I made mention of the noise level to our waiter, and he recommended coming back during the week in the afternoon. Not sure I'll be back anytime soon though...

My opinion, FWIW.

That's unfortunate, because there are a couple things on the menu I'd be interested in trying.

It always baffles me as to why everyone wants loud music at an eating establishment. That was one of the complaints I had with the TGIF on West End. I do not like to yell when trying to  have a conversation at dinner. My other gripe is dark lighting. I am to the point I can't see bat S*** without my glasses and in the dark, so reading a menu is out of the question.

• Like 1

I have to wonder if the loud music is an effort by some establishments to turn over tables more frequently, by making the atmosphere less "comfortable" with the volume.  There have been some studies floating around lately (just how credible they are is questionable) indicating that diners are lingering to such an extent as to drive down profit margins in lots of restaurants. (due to lots of time spent on cell phones and taking those "foodie photos.")  I DO know that some tourist area restaurants (back in the 80s) would use that technique when there was a line of hungry patrons at the door!

Chicago went through a similar phase when I was living there in the '90s and the Aughts.  All of those restaurant spaces had nothing but competing hard, shiny surfaces and you had to scream even at lunchtime.  I often thought at the time that all of those restaurant interiors were designed by architects, not interior designers.  I still kind of think that. 

Yes... and turning the air conditioning down to make things a bit warmer for people in that section.  My family rented a section of a well-known restaurant in town for about four hours... and after three and a half hours, the temperature in the section rose significantly in just a few minutes.  They were ready to get us out of there.