Nashville food and beverage scene

smeagolsfree

^Oh no! Another chain restaurant!? This will totally destroy the character of the tourist district downtown, and turn Nashville into anytown USA. They better be selling boots and cowboy hats in there too, or else they'll be hearing from Butch Spyridon... :rolleyes:

Edited by mirydi
  • Like 2

Helen's Hot Chicken Opening Location on Jefferson Street

http://www.nashvillescene.com/bites/archives/2014/10/23/helens-hot-chicken-opening-location-on-jefferson-street

I like their Slogan.... "It's Hella Hot"

I've been to their current trailer. . . it's not bad, but for my money I'd still rank it below Prince's, Hattie's, or 400 Degree's quality.  Better than Party Fowl, though.  

Just curious... I've had Prince's and Hattie's... but none of the rest.  How would you rank the Hot Chickens in town?

Personal list:

1. Prince's

2. Hattie B's

3. 400 Degrees

4. Bolton's

5. Helen's

6. Party Fowl

I've never been to Pepperfire, but I need to go for the sake of completion.  

• Like 1

It's all a matter of personal taste, mine would be:

1-Hattie B's

2-Boltons

3-Princes

4-Pepperfire

5-400 deg's

6-Helen's

7-Party Fowl

As a side note, my girlfriend and I went to The Standard tonight for date night and the inside was as beautiful as I had imagined. I'm glad they were able to save that civil war era townhome and turn it into an amazing restaurant. I def recommend it, the food and staff were great and they even gave her and I a tour of the house afterwards.

• Like 2

Josh Smith (my former neighbor) and his family have done a wonderful job with the standard. They have invested much more $$ that I ever would have rehabbing that old mansion. The restaurant serves the private club upstairs and private functions. Josh has been waiting 10 years of the announced federal courthouse to help drive business.

Sam's Sushi

For the fans who know he is now in the ACME building: I stopped by Friday night. Sam was there. So were four others making sushi and a waitress. $5 for a salmon roll and $8.5 for a yellowtail roll. Both rolls could almost fit in my hand. But it was good.

BTW, Sam has earplugs because the noise is too loud. And he is still spreadin' the gospel  -  hahahaha!!!!!!!

My wife and I dinned out at Sinema last night and had mixed results. The ambiance is great, the service professional and the drinks strong. Unfortunately the steaks were more charred that cooked.... similar to Morton's. I much prefer Ruth's Chris or Kayne Prime or Jimmy Kelly for steaks. I would give it a 7.5 of 10.

Steakhouse Texas de Brazil Is Taking Over the Former Sardinia Space on West End

http://nashville.eater.com/2014/10/27/7079423/steakhouse-texas-de-brazil-is-taking-over-the-former-sardinia-space-on-west-end

This will provide some competition to Rodizio Grill on 2nd Ave in the Brazilian Steakhouse category.  If I recall correctly, there used to be another Brazilian steakhouse in Hillsboro Village or something like that, but it closed a while back.  But seeing how many of these populate other cities' restaurant collections, I'm confident that Nashville can support a second Brazilian steakhouse.

The Cook Out in East Nashville is now open.

I went last night. To quote 'Pulp Fiction', "That is one tasty burger"!

Honestly, it's pretty good for fast food. It's no Pharmacy burger or anything, but its leagues above your typical Burger King, etc. The interior decor is a little kitschy, but whatever.

I will say this, you always hear people try to measure a place against In-N-Out. Well, it's certainly not the same, but it's style of burger is very similar. It's probably the closest thing I've tasted to In-N-Out outside of California.

I went last night. To quote 'Pulp Fiction', "That is one tasty burger"!

Honestly, it's pretty good for fast food. It's no Pharmacy burger or anything, but its leagues above your typical Burger King, etc. The interior decor is a little kitschy, but whatever. I'll certainly be going back and I look forward to trying a shake.

I will say this, you always hear people try to measure a place against In-N-Out. Well, it's certainly not the same, but it's style of burger is very similar. It's probably the closest thing I've tasted to In-N-Out outside of California.

As a huge fan of Indian cuisine, I want to try this sometime... Chauhan Ale Masala House ...   http://www.tennessean.com/story/life/food/2014/11/04/chauhan-ale-masala-house-much-anticipated-opening/18492081/

I love Indian food too.  It's right up there with Moroccan and Ethiopian for me as far as my favorite cuisines are concerned.  Lucky for me, I'm dating a Hindu girl originally from Mumbai so I get more than my fill of it!  haha

Have you ever been to Woodland's?  It's near Vandy.  Last time I was in Nashville I dined there, and really liked it.  It's mainly vegetarian from what I recall (I think it's Sikh owned) but it would be right at home in Little Bombay here in Chicago in terms of quality and selection.  If you haven't been there, I definitely recommend it!!

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

Unfortunately, I have not had any Indian food in Nashville in years...and I am trying to remember the name of that place on 21st (India House?).  It was my first experience (LOL)... and stuck with me. That's been almost 25 years ago. 

With a growing Indian population here in Chattanooga, we do have adequate places for Indian fare, but I'll have to branch out to Nashville sometime soon.

• Like 1