Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

St Mary of the Seven Sorrows has a very important place in Nashville and Tennessee's history. We have been parishioners since '08 and love the quaintness as compared to Cathedral (still love Cathedral for larger holiday celebrations). Father Baker has done an incredible job of growing the membership and it is at capacity for most Sunday Mass services. It is the oldest standing church in Nashville, 165 years strong.

Thanks for that bit concerning St Mary's, Todd.  I've never known anyone personally to have attended that church until now (that you have relayed this).  I've walked past the entrance at least twice daily for 8 years, and I always have been amazed with the fact that it's presence has remained defiant against the odds.  I also am very happy to hear that the membership has grown appreciably in recent years, because I recall maybe 5 or 6 years ago somewhere ─ perhaps it had been in the now-defunct Nashville City Paper ─ that the church had been suffering from congregational attrition, or at least something of that sort, which made the church's future appear to be uncertain, in consideration of the costs of utilities.

It's also of historic note that St. Mary's is one of the oldest structures remaining by far in most of downtown Nashville ─ not as old as the old (former) and diminutive McCann House and Grocery (now Pub5) sitting just north of the Palm Restaurant on 5th Ave. S, in SoBro, but even older than the State Capitol.  St. Mary's (about 170 years old) has long outlived the former "Colored YMCA" (yes, there actually was one here), Kennedy Cab Co., and "Fourth Ave. Liquors" (all torn down in the 1980s), on the site of the current Citizens' Plaza State Office Bldg.  It's just amazing that St. Mary's therefore has long outlived most other once historic buildings constructed long after St. Mary had already become "old" per se.  Unfortunately, but for an indirect reason, Nashville lost the Adelphi Opera House, also one of Heiman's works, which had been replaced in 1904 with the Bijou Theater, and yet again this was razed in 1958 for urban renewal, making way for the 1961 construction of the Municipal Auditorium (opened late 1962).  St. Mary's still persists, though (surprisingly for being in Nashv'l)

-==-

• Like 2

Fascinating stuff!  Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.  It is unfortunate that it underwent such extensive renovations, but what remains is still quite handsome.

Went and checked the McKendree website, and there's a correction: There have been 4 (not 3) churches on the present location:

screen-shot-2012-06-19-at-9-34-26-pm1.pn

https://civilwarnashville.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/screen-shot-2012-06-19-at-9-34-26-pm1.png?w=529

The first (above) was built in 1833 and seated a whopping 1,500 people (consider Nashville's population at the time was just 6,000 !). It served as a hospital during the Civil War. It served for roughly 43 years until 1876 when the congregation decided to build something newer (and far more spectacular).

The second church on the site was completed in 1879 (and had a huge 230-foot tall central steeple with two lesser 130-feet tall steeples bookending it - which I believe made it the tallest building in the city, eclipsing the Customs House which went up about the same time in 1877 - in fact, the steeple would've been as tall as Tony's Cumberland Apartments next door, also about 230 feet tall). Incredibly, it wasn't even in use for 9 whole months when it went up in flames (so, only existed from Jan-Oct 1879).

The third church went up shortly after the fire and was completed in 1882 (however, it was a more modest and scaled back version of the second church in a Norman-Gothic style). 23 years later on July 4, 1905, it was destroyed by errant fireworks that shot into an open window when the church was undergoing renovations.

The fourth and present church was completed in 1910, but was originally set back from the street (unlike the prior churches). Its alterations began in the 1930s when they added to the rear of the sanctuary and lastly the new front of the building was added to the "old front" in 1965 (hence why it looks modern there -- it is).

It's unfortunate they couldn't restore it back to its 1910 specifications (complete with dome and cupolas).

I adapted this post from this website:

http://www.mckendreetoday.com/#/who-we-are/our-history

Another view of the 1910 version of the present church:

McKendree.jpg

https://i2.wp.com/www.nashvillewebreview.com/automat/nashville/churches/McKendree/McKendree.jpg

I've been trying to find a portrait or photo of the 2nd and 3rd versions, but can't seem to locate them. I have seen them (perhaps in a book) and it was heartbreaking that such a spectacular building was destroyed (in the case of the 2nd) almost right away.

Edited by fieldmarshaldj
  • Like 2

Hmm, I found this rather fantastic aerial shot of downtown while digging for shots of the church.  Supposedly it's from 1880, but that is also the McKendree Church on the right, so the timeline doesn't match up as according to your information the third church would have been under construction?  Perhaps this photo is from earlier and we are looking at the first church?  The steeple doesn't look quite tall enough to be the second church you referenced:

1880-view-of-nashivlle-from-state-capito

• Like 1

I've seen the historical marker for Heiman's house but this is the first photo I've seen of it.  What a shame there aren't still lots of those little gems along that street!

I really cannot believe that it even remains this late in time. but the long vacant house near 1720 Jefferson St is a very similar-looking structure (reminiscent of the Heiman house).  If you "remind" the city of the house, then they'll likely flatten it tomorrow.  In truth, though, I do not know of the owning party, but I recently have heard from local sources native to the district that a former dweller of that home passed away within the last 20 years or less.  I also recall having seen the property actually "maintained" with the lawn manicured regularly.  As is shown in the photo, even much of the iron fence and old concrete base is intact.

1720 Jefferson St. (current vestige)

1720_Jefferson_St_37208%20_zpstg63r1yz.j

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.169716,-86.805639,3a,38.8y,312.12h,84.99t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sYGX80X37Ygl9xX3KF5Faqw!2e0!6m1!1e1

cf. 900 Jefferson St. (from above post on House of architect Adolphus Heiman)

heiman_hse_zpsyqklp0qu.jpg

-==-

Edited by rookzie

Given the height of the steeple, this surely must be a depiction of the second church, albeit from a great distance.  It's location in the skyline would make sense that it (the tall steeple furthest left) is McKendree, given the vantage point of the sketch, which appears to be from Rutledge Hill:

CivilWarNashville_L.jpg

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

Hmm, I found this rather fantastic aerial shot of downtown while digging for shots of the church.  Supposedly it's from 1880, but that is also the McKendree Church on the right, so the timeline doesn't match up as according to your information the third church would have been under construction?  Perhaps this photo is from earlier and we are looking at the first church?  The steeple doesn't look quite tall enough to be the second church you referenced:

1880-view-of-nashivlle-from-state-capito

No, I believe this photo is from the 1860s, taken from Capitol Hill. That is still the first McKendree church on the modern-day property.

Given the height of the steeple, this surely must be a depiction of the second church, albeit from a great distance.  It's location in the skyline would make sense that it (the tall steeple furthest left) is McKendree, given the vantage point of the sketch, which appears to be from Rutledge Hill:

CivilWarNashville_L.jpg

No, you'll note that this was a sketch done also around 1860 (a color lithograph here indicates 1862: http://tnsos.net/capitol/page_gallery/gallery_images/state_cap/Nashville_Harpers1862.jpg ), so again, it features the first church (whose small tower is barely noticeable just 1/2 inch to the left of the Downtown Presbyterian Church). The church with the high steeple further west is eluding me at the moment. I thought it might be First Baptist on Broadway, but that didn't go up until 1886, so this is another one entirely.

**Addendum, the church in question may be the Elm Street Methodist church when it still had a spire on top (long since removed, but the building was converted to use by an architectural firm). I can't locate a decent photo from the era that depicts the steeple/spire. This is a photo, but you can't see the spire clearly:

ElmStMeth.jpg

Edited by fieldmarshaldj
  • Like 1

I sure wish we still had this beauty! Correct me if I'm wrong but I think one or more of the onion domes fell into the sanctuary space during a wind storm.

I wish we still had the Vine Street Temple, too. I don't recall hearing that story, but that doesn't mean it didn't occur. Sadly, when the congregation decided it was more convenient to relocate out West End by the 1950s, they opted not to keep this beautiful building, which stood about where the parking garage is below the current library.

I sure wish we still had this beauty! Correct me if I'm wrong but I think one or more of the onion domes fell into the sanctuary space during a wind storm.

Yes (at teast) one did fall into that sanctuary, during non-service hours, back when I was a child.  I used to wonder why that building was being leveled, as my parents would drive past it (even I had enough "born" sense then to know that some building was "dying").  I believe the account is that the congregation made a decision to move "Westward Ho", (to the West End on Harding Rd as the Temple), and following a lightning strike of one of the domes, sent crashing into the empty synagogue, it was sold and "laid to rest" in 1954-55.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

I really think Stix is going to look quite impressive in person. I think it's a piece that's meant to amaze with it's scale, not necessarily with it's design, which is why it's fairly confusing just to look at as a rendering.

Agreed. I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised.
  • Like 4

Wow... That's crazy. Nashville has GOT to get more medium and tourist level hotels near the CBD.

Yes.  If the prices stay like that, a lot of people who normally attend CMA Fest and other events may decide it's not worth the cost.  We have to have at least a mid-price option close to downtown.  When a place like the Knights Inn can charge $300/night...you know it's gone crazy downtown.

• Like 1

Yes.  If the prices stay like that, a lot of people who normally attend CMA Fest and other events may decide it's not worth the cost.  We have to have at least a mid-price option close to downtown.  When a place like the Knights Inn can charge $300/night...you know it's gone crazy downtown.

In case anyone was worried about a sudden overabundance of hotel space in this city...

• Like 4

It's hard for me to understand someone paying $300-$500 for a room.  I would actually drive an hour out of town just to get something cheaper...but that's just me.  But obviously, there are thousands of people willing to pay that price for CMA Fest.

I pay a premium for location.  Every out of town concert I go to I will pay to be within walking distance of the venue.  Tacking on a two hour round trip to everyday of your vacation?  No thanks.  I'd rather spend that time enjoying myself.

I pay a premium for location.  Every out of town concert I go to I will pay to be within walking distance of the venue.  Tacking on a two hour round trip to everyday of your vacation?  No thanks.  I'd rather spend that time enjoying myself.

Yeah...but isn't there a limit?

I understand if there's a concert and it's just one day...but a lot of these people are here for 5 days.  That would be $1500 for one room.  I could understand paying that for a house with 3-4 beds for a week.

Edited by titanhog

Depends on the type of entertainment purpose, for me anyway.  In this city, If I were to visit, and flew in, either alone or with a friend, and if my intent was to hang at the CMA, and hit the dives throughout the day and night, then I'd almost for certain end up paying the premium for 2 or 3 nights, rather than rent a car and then either pay for hotel parking or thread needles for garage- or lot parking.  I want a total separation of concern from having to deal with a car and all its associated hassle with turning it back in gassed up.  Besides, if I get tired during the action, need a recharge, or just a change of clothes, particularly with all that heat, then I don't want to be having to drive way away and then back.  And as far as late-night hang time is concerned, I don't want to be driving back and forth between DT and a distant hotel-motel anyway, especially when I'm lit (although for me, those years ended quite a few drinks ago), and risk getting pulled over or worse.  And then just this morning, I heard o the news that a festival goer from Hardinsburg, Ky. had been shot eight times in a parking garage on 3rd Ave. late into the night and is listed in critical condition, after reportedly he and a friend had returned to their car, found items to be missing, had encountered the culprit in the act of burglarizing other cars as well.  But while this incident could very well have occurred without any high profile event, car burglary, armed or not, always becomes more of an exploit during such events.  No, I don't need to be dealing with a car, when I want DT entertainment.  Given this region's poor transit options for tourists particularly, and especially with reduced frequencies on weekends, I wouldn't care to be fooling around on the bus around here, except for the DT Green circulators.

If it were with more than one person, then yeah, I would indeed look for cheaper lodging outside the fun zone, to make it more reasonable on the budget for everyone.  That's the preferred choice when a group goes to, say, Kings's Dominion, Kings' Island or Cedar Point, where most of the party wouldn't care whether or not lodging weren't nearby.  This also would be the case with the Bonnaroo festival.  But, I agree with the Grilled-Cheese, when it comes to stuff like the CMA "pilgrimage".  And if I'm alone or with only one other person, then I also might prefer to test out a particular hotel downtown, just for the sake of trying it out.

-==-

Edited by rookzie

I understand how those hotel room figures can come across as shocking to us locals, but it's not all that surprising to me honestly. Hell, I've paid that in a few other places (Boston, Waikiki) and just chalk it up as the price of convenience. Sure, there are cheaper options further away, but as others have said, it's just not as convenient.

I would be very shocked if that were the going rate on a random Tuesday night, but during CMA Fest, I totally understand it. And we can build 50k hotel rooms and those prices are unlikely to drop during this particular weekend.

Side note; One of my great friends is a bartender at one of the biggest honky tonks on lower Broadway. She walked away from a double shift on Friday with $2200! She's likely to clear $5k over the weekend. That's simply incredible, but just goes to show how much money is pumping through downtown this weekend.

• Like 1

Nashville has a reputation... one that most other American cities would love to have. 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/usa-long-haul/nashville-americas-new-party-town-5867974

Great article.  Nashville truly is a global city in terms of name recognition.  How Raleigh has flights to London and Nashville doesn't just blows my mind, unless it's just a leftover from when Raleigh was an AA hub. 

• Like 2