Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I agree with everything here--specifically that he should have his day in court and that potential abuses of power should be investigated thoroughly.  Let's not forget, however, that this case has already given us a proven abuse of power within the judicial system (in Chase's favor) when the judge exempted him from the legally mandated cooling-off period after the alleged domestic assault.  I'd bet that what Mr. Chase perceives as abuse and victimization at the hands of the legal system is actually just him experiencing diminished favoritism within that system proportional to the diminished weight his name/prestige carry as a result of his actions and continuing refusal to account for them.  

...and since you mention this egregious violation of trust in the local judicial system, Chase himself, whom many may have assumed to at least have remained obliged with that judge's exception granted on Chase's behalf, probably has any personal capacity for such responsiveness overridden with constant perception of persecution, and in introspect he may identify any externally wielded discipline as an outrage.

With this then, he very well could attempt to exploit his release from the mandatory cooling-off period as contributory to an unlawful misdeed, and with the aid of a crooked attorney (a tautology here?) he may target that authoritative arbitrary action action as an exploitable inconsistency.  All this may or may not have negligible effect on D.F. Chase Inc., but it is a distraction nevertheless.

-==-

Edited by rookzie

Wasn't a neighbor witness to the (alleged) crime?

In any case, I agree he should have his day in court, and hopefully justice is served when the facts are revealed, whatever they may be.

Considering his history, though, I can't say I'm ready to buy his version of the events. If he did, in fact, violently assault his girlfriend, I can't say it would be completely unjust if the cops roughed him up a bit.

Don't remind me about Stix...blah.  :sick:

Stix or whatever might as well go over there.  We don't really need any historic statue placed over there, only for some deadbeat, lit driver to go careening over the roundabout core and crashing into it.  If it can happen, then rest assured it will.  Luckily I hasn't happened to the Muses (yet).

-==-

The pedestrian bridge will increase foot traffic dramatically... 

That reminds me - The stairway at Gulch Crossings up to the Demonbreum viaduct is open, I noticed today.  Not quite the same as a pedestrian bridge, but something to tide us over. . . 

• Like 3

That reminds me - The stairway at Gulch Crossings up to the Demonbreum viaduct is open, I noticed today.  Not quite the same as a pedestrian bridge, but something to tide us over. . . 

I have not the slightest idea, when the current bridge's or the replaced bridge's stairs had been closed, but IMO they should have been left passable for quite a while (if not indefinitely), rather than be closed for the sake of so-called safety or crime-reduction.  Given the fact that anyone up to no good and in flight could elude without the aid of bridge stairs, Public Works could have installed lighting (if not already in place), although given their track record, the lights would have been long burned out.

Back in the 1970s and at least into the early '80s, those stairs of the previous viaduct always had been left open, particularly as aid to RR crews, who needed a reasonably decent path to get to the strips and honkytonks during layovers between trains, without having to get a taxi or walk way around to 12th to ascend to street the level above.

Remember now, strips were common on 8th Ave S., until more recent decades, and these did well to provision RR crews up from the gulch.

-==-

The subject of historic churches in Nashville came up in another forum, so I will post this in this forum to avoid going too far off topic there. A brief listing.

Historic%20Churches_zpsxalchyqh.jpg

I took the pictures from Google Earth, so they are not the best.

And here is a link to what we have and what is lost. 

• Like 3

I really think Stix is going to look quite impressive in person.  I think it's a piece that's meant to amaze with it's scale, not necessarily with it's design, which is why it's fairly confusing just to look at as a rendering.

A lot will depend on how this looks in the evening hours. I have heard conflicting reports as to how it will be lit.  One said that the posts will each be illuminated from within.  Another said there will be LED elements from below that will have the posts changing hues. Another said that they will simply be painted various colors and have rather standard night-time lighting.  Anyone know for sure?

• Like 1

A lot will depend on how this looks in the evening hours. I have heard conflicting reports as to how it will be lit.  One said that the posts will each be illuminated from within.  Another said there will be LED elements from below that will have the posts changing hues. Another said that they will simply be painted various colors and have rather standard night-time lighting.  Anyone know for sure?

Hmmm, yes I was under the assumption that there would be some sort of LED lighting.  I agree that if it's merely standard lighting that it won't look nearly as interesting as it could.

The subject of historic churches in Nashville came up in another forum, so I will post this in this forum to avoid going too far off topic there. A brief listing.

Thanks for the compilation.  I really like Nashville's diverse mix of religious architecture.  It's tough to swallow some of the losses included in that link, like this one for example.  McKendree Methodist:

McKendree1915.jpg

Who in their right mind would demolish a structure so grand?!  What a loss.

EDIT:  I realize now that the owners of the church itself demolished it and rebuilt the McKendree pictured in the compilation on the site, so that softens the blow significantly knowing that a lovely church building replaced it that exists to this day, and not a parking lot.  But still, what a structure!

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

A couple other that could be added are: Holy Trinity Episcopal at Lafayette and Sixth, and Ocean Way Recorders at corner of 17th and Edgehill from a repurposed sanctuary built in the late 1800's.

The Vine Street Temple Synagogue was really gorgeous.  Was the only Jewish fellowship in Nashville from 1877 until 1955.  The nine Byzantine turrets were incredibly unique for this area.  Sure wish someone would've had the vision to keep it.  See it here:

http://www.nashvillewebreview.com/automat/nashville/churches/synagog/VineStreet2.htm

• Like 1

A couple other that could be added are: Holy Trinity Episcopal at Lafayette and Sixth, and Ocean Way Recorders at corner of 17th and Edgehill from a repurposed sanctuary built in the late 1800's.

The Vine Street Temple Synagogue was really gorgeous.  Was the only Jewish fellowship in Nashville from 1877 until 1955.  The nine Byzantine turrets were incredibly unique for this area.  Sure wish someone would've had the vision to keep it.  See it here:

http://www.nashvillewebreview.com/automat/nashville/churches/synagog/VineStreet2.htm

The church where Ocean Way is now used to be Tony Alamo's cult/church. I worked in the travel agency behind it at the corner of 16th and Edgehill.

I'll never forget the day the federal agents swooped down on that place.. the area was afloat in big, black SUVs and there were dark-sunglass-wearing suits all over the place, talking into their cuffs, before they went in and took over. I don't think they found Tony's dead wife that day - maybe she had already been resurrected?

That was an exiting day, for sure!

:shades:

• Like 1

Thanks, for the graphic briefing.  Even though it's not pictured, about 10 years ago I started paying more attention to St. Mary of the Seven Sorrows Church at 5th and Charlotte.  While it's not the most beautiful or elaborate church in downtown, what holds my interest is the fact that it was designed by Adolphus Heiman, who also had done the former Children's Museum (Lindsley Hall of Peabody Normal College; UofNshvl Literary Dept; Hospital for Federal Officers), and the Belmont Mansion, among many other structures which remain extant.  Unfortunately, his house at 900 Jefferson Street is long gone, although his namesake city street (Heiman St.) remains intact, except for what the interstate took away.

House of architect Adolphus Heiman - 900 Jefferson St. (city)

heiman_hse_zpsyqklp0qu.jpg

-==-

• Like 3

St Mary of the Seven Sorrows has a very important place in Nashville and Tennessee's history. We have been parishioners since '08 and love the quaintness as compared to Cathedral (still love Cathedral for larger holiday celebrations). Father Baker has done an incredible job of growing the membership and it is at capacity for most Sunday Mass services. It is the oldest standing church in Nashville, 165 years strong.

From the site - 

St. Mary of the Seven Sorrows is a Nashville landmark and one of the first Catholic Church buildings constructed in Tennessee. The church served as the second Cathedral of the Diocese of Nashville from 1847-1914. The oldest extant church building in downtown Nashville, St. Mary's dates to 1844-47. Its architect was Adolphus Heiman, a German immigrant who designed several major Nashville buildings, including the State Asylum, during the late antebellum era. Heiman chose a Greek Revival temple style for St. Mary's, which features a gable front entrance of two fluted Ionic columns supporting a classical pediment.   Richard Pius Miles, O.P. (1791-1860), the first Catholic Bishop of Nashville, is primarily responsible for the construction of St. Mary's. Consecrated bishop at Bardstown, Kentucky in 1838, Miles arrived in Nashville that same year and was the only Catholic priest in the state of Tennessee. He led the state’s growing Catholic population until his death in 1860, when he was buried beneath the cathedral.

In 1926 the Nashville firm of Asmus & Clark renovated both the exterior and interior of St. Mary's, finishing the west facade in local limestone and altering the original octagonal belfry. In 1972 the congregation moved the cast iron casket of Bishop Miles to a small chapel in the church's northwest corner. St. Mary's celebrated its 165th anniversary in 2012.

Thanks, for the graphic briefing.  Even though it's not pictured, about 10 years ago I started paying more attention to St. Mary of the Seven Sorrows Church at 5th and Charlotte.  While it's not the most beautiful or elaborate church in downtown, what holds my interest is the fact that it was designed by Adolphus Heiman, who also had done the former Children's Museum (Lindsley Hall of Peabody Normal College; UofNshvl Literary Dept; Hospital for Federal Officers), and the Belmont Mansion, among many other structures which remain extant.  Unfortunately, his house at 900 Jefferson Street is long gone, although his namesake city street (Heiman St.) remains intact, except for what the interstate took away.

-==-

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the compilation.  I really like Nashville's diverse mix of religious architecture.  It's tough to swallow some of the losses included in that link, like this one for example.  McKendree Methodist:

McKendree1915.jpg

Who in their right mind would demolish a structure so grand?!  What a loss.

EDIT:  I realize now that the owners of the church itself demolished it and rebuilt the McKendree pictured in the compilation on the site, so that softens the blow significantly knowing that a lovely church building replaced it that exists to this day, and not a parking lot.  But still, what a structure!

McKendree, I believe, has had 3 churches at this location. Its oldest incarnation in the 19th century and it was replaced with a second beautiful structure that was almost up against the street (I'm not sure where I can find the photo), but the 2nd one burned almost right after it was constructed, which was a terrible loss. I believe this postcard you have actually is of the current one before extensive renovation and additions were made filling in the front lawn. The dome and cupolas were removed, but you can still see the twin square towers (although both will be difficult to see once Tony's garage and tower go up) in the middle of the current edifice:

https://www.google.com/maps/mms?ll=36.162798,-86.77968&spn=0.000002,0.001321&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=36.162798,-86.779936&panoid=rbTAEgD-e8UZVsPlJZpTTQ&cbp=12,242.3,,1,-4.19

• Like 2

-==-

I've seen the historical marker for Heiman's house but this is the first photo I've seen of it.  What a shame there aren't still lots of those little gems along that street!

McKendree, I believe, has had 3 churches at this location. Its oldest incarnation in the 19th century and it was replaced with a second beautiful structure that was almost up against the street (I'm not sure where I can find the photo), but the 2nd one burned almost right after it was constructed, which was a terrible loss. I believe this postcard you have actually is of the current one before extensive renovation and additions were made filling in the front lawn. The dome and cupolas were removed, but you can still see the twin square towers (although both will be difficult to see once Tony's garage and tower go up) in the middle of the current edifice:

https://www.google.com/maps/mms?ll=36.162798,-86.77968&spn=0.000002,0.001321&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=36.162798,-86.779936&panoid=rbTAEgD-e8UZVsPlJZpTTQ&cbp=12,242.3,,1,-4.19

Fascinating stuff!  Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.  It is unfortunate that it underwent such extensive renovations, but what remains is still quite handsome.