Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

6 hours ago, markhollin said:

TBT: West End Avenue at 20th Avenue, around 1910:

West End Ave. at 20th, 1905.jpg

And here it is today... at least the Cathedral of the Incarnation parsonage(?) building on the right is still there. Everything else is pretty much gone. :-(

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1511515,-86.7997818,3a,66.8y,63.05h,94.33t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sJ6MPA8-cVpKyR6JdlIwNng!2e0?hl=en

6 minutes ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

And here it is today... at least the Cathedral of the Incarnation parsonage(?) building on the right is still there. Everything else is pretty much gone. :-(

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1511515,-86.7997818,3a,66.8y,63.05h,94.33t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sJ6MPA8-cVpKyR6JdlIwNng!2e0?hl=en

It makes me want to throw up looking at the clusterf*** of throw-away trash that faces this timeless and stunningly beautiful structure just across the street.  Where did we go so wrong??

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

What should be Nashville's premier thoroughfare, West End, is an embarrassment.  

You mean you don't love the selection of McDonald's, Pizza Hut, and various interstate exit style motels? What's not to love? There's plenty of parking!

EDIT: For those of you with a broken sarcasm meter...that was sarcastic.

Edited by Nathan_in_DC
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, titanhog said:

I'll never fully forgive Palmer for knocking this down and building a hole in its place

http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/nr/id/1035/rec/1

a>

Timeout. That was the building that was on the West End lot that is now a big hole in the ground??? That's really too bad. Old churches are really beautiful. I think those with architectural beauty should be preserved and reused for other functions if possible (work environments, cafes, etc)

• Like 3

15 hours ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

Take a look at Monument Avenue in Richmond, Virginia. That's what West End should've been today.

the first time I drove down this road I was so amazed that a city would take the time to save that much history....its so beautiful.
if I ever move from the Nashville area that will be one of the first places I look.

Edited by bhibbs
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2016 at 8:18 AM, MLBrumby said:

It's not hideous!   Thanks for posting. 

Still wondering if some here have heard if Parallon and/or SCRI have longer term plans to put up another tower.  Reason I ask is they indicated back when they were dancing with Alex Palmer that they would be needing an increase of space over time.  So how does the square footage of this single building compare with the amount of space proposed in the WES office tower?  I seem to recall that these two entities were growing quite fast at the time and there was a assumption that they would have room to grow.  So does that exist in this building?  Or does anyone suppose (or has actually heard) that there will be another building coming after this one? 

I was just talking to some of my bosses here at HCA about this building, apparently the entire building is spoken for. Meaning they already have hit capacity for the number of parrallon and Sarah cannon employees planning to move there. They were saying they are actually already looking at auxiliary office space within a few blocks to be able to keep some teams within close proximity of the building. We also discussed the possibility of building another tower and they didn't have much info on that. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Woodgrannymont said:

looks like HCA pulled an Omni and went too modest on projections. No?

That seems to be the case with many of the locally based companies and local developers. In the Omni's case I think they totally misjudge the potential of Nashville like many over the past few years.

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to more post. What part of town are you located in?

1 hour ago, Woodgrannymont said:

looks like HCA pulled an Omni and went too modest on projections. No?

Yea it appears that way, I know a lot of the HCA folks that work down in the Maryland Farms area are all moving to what was previously the AIG building, before we bought it down there in Brentwood. They are doing a bunch of remodeling to the building now before people start migrating there. 

I work at the corporate offices on Park Ave across from centennial park and I can tell you that space and parking is always an issue here. Got news about us building a parking garage behind our buildings on the other side of the train tracks. It will be several stories, have a glass enclosed walk way over the tracks, elevators, and what have you. 

2 hours ago, Andrew_3289 said:

I was just talking to some of my bosses here at HCA about this building, apparently the entire building is spoken for. Meaning they already have hit capacity for the number of parrallon and Sarah cannon employees planning to move there. They were saying they are actually already looking at auxiliary office space within a few blocks to be able to keep some teams within close proximity of the building. We also discussed the possibility of building another tower and they didn't have much info on that. 

It would be neat if HCA could move all of their corporate employees warranting downtown, high-rise office space into the North Gulch, either across 11th from the new tower or in the NES service lots. They are one of the few companies here that have the capability to develop a single-tenant campus with some serious density.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, titanhog said:

I'll never fully forgive Palmer for knocking this down and building a hole in its place

http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/nr/id/1035/rec/1

a>

You'd partly forgive him? That relic should still be standing, there's not any tower I can conceive of that I'd prefer replace it.

• Like 4

^^I see lots of parking lots in that photo just begging for a 500 footer. ;)

2 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

You'd partly forgive him? That relic should still be standing, there's not any tower I can conceive of that I'd prefer replace it.

I would partly forgive him if he built something on that land that was worthy of Nashville...which is highly unlikely.

• Like 1