Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

Call me unimaginative, but I wouldn't be completely opposed to a (well kept) mostly grassy and subtly landscaped roundabout space. I've always wondered about the combination of drivers not knowing how to navigate a roundabout (however simple they may be) and intricate art/fountains/etc. in the middle. I know I've been distracted trying to figure out the Styx while driving through.

I think a simple green space would contrast well with the hustle and bustle of the surrounding urban fabric. That said, I can't wait to see the Music Row roundabout get the fountain treatment.

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Always love walking around Fisk University's historic architecture.  Some classics we as Nashvillians should be proud of:

Fisk Memorial Chapel, 1892:

Fisk University, Fisk Memorial Chapel 2, 1892, April 2016.jpg

I see that tree in the Chapel south chimney has grown a bit since I first spotted it there around 2004 ─ not a lot but a bit bigger.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

Always love walking around Fisk University's historic architecture.  Some classics we as Nashvillians should be proud of:

Jubilee Hall, 1876:

Fisk University Jubilee Hall, 1876, April 2016.jpg

Just imagine, if Jubilee Hall sat in the CBD, it would have been demolished by the 1950s or '60s. It remains one of Nashville's architectural gems.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

Cravath Hall, 1926:

Fisk University, Cravath Hall, 1926, April 2016.jpg

My father worked directly across the street from Cravath Hall at Meharry (in the Hulda Margaret Lyttle Hall) in the '70s and '80s, so I used to stare out the windows at this building a lot. I always thought it was mysterious looking with the ziggurat style. Still a beauty, though.

I would really hate for all of us to lose these gems.  They tell such a rich history of the African-American community right after the Civil War.  Fisk in an important bit of architectural beauty that deserves saving.  I really wish the alumni could find a way to raise funds to get this wonderful institution back on track, not only as a university of learning...but to protect these structures.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, rookzie said:

Let's put it this way.

ALL are, to be sadly blunt.  Probably the one in best shape would be the Carl Van Vechten Art Gallery, and that only would be because the Walton family, discussion of which you and several others enjoined over a year ago on the Waltons' shared ownership of Fisk's donated Georgia O'Keeffe / Alfred Stieglitz art collection, graciously footed the bill for a massive renovation a couple years ago or so, as a security measure for alternate hosting of the collection.  This entailed replacing the entire slate roof with the slate in kind, along with the addition of a standby power generator, and most likely other provisions..

The most recent massive renovation prior to that probably was Cravath Hall, during 2002-2003 with a huge grant from the US Dept. of the Interior and the National Trust (NTHP).  Sadly soon after reopening, institutional lack of oversight led to premature damage to the interior of Cravath Hall, including a then-recently restored Art-Deco mural by Aaron Douglas, and caused by defective roof and/or masonry repair by the general contractor.  The fact is, Fisk has been unable to adequately and timely maintain any given structure, once it has undergone restoration or a reno-, and the practice of deferred maintenance usually has been the norm, until something nearly catastrophic has defaulted or which has resulted in insurance underwriters refusal to guarantee indemnity.  Even then, repairs typically have been minimal, while disregarding cosmetics.  Several structures on campus have been determined to have undergone structural deterioration, not readily apparent.  Jubilee Hall is one of these.

EDIT:  Not only does it require sizable financial resources to maintain the structural and aesthetic integrity of the physical plant, even one of the relatively small size of Fisk, but it also requires a person delegated as a "point" man (or woman) in charge ─ one who is scrupulous for detail and who is sensitively perceptive and consciously responds to minute indications of evolving conditions, such as evidence of bird-nesting, mold-slime from dripping wall hydrants, dislocated downspouts, and crumbling parking curbs and masonry or dry-stacked retaining walls.  Fisk simply does not and seems to not have given weighted attention to such an administrative need, at least for over a half century.  It could be considered bordering on disgusting that Fisk has permitted the loss due to neglect and external damage of at least 40 percent of the historic stone retaining wall along the north and northwestern boundaries of the campus, as well the complete loss of several stonewall gate pillars, with once-fancy finial crowns struck by automobiles and left fallen nearby.  Over the last 50 years, several pairs of these once beautiful ornaments have been damaged, destroyed (beyond evidence), or replaced with plain concrete.  Most if not all of this is the direct result of management apathy, from one "shortened" administration to the next, rather than being due to lack of funding priority alone (leadership and stewardship).

Excellent points, Ricky. It's so unfortunate that such a renowned institution has been subjected to years of mismanagement. It's strange though, I know that Fisk's financial woes are well known and have been made conspiciously public, but very little appears to have been said about the management (or apparent lack thereof) of the school. Why hasn't anyone apparently been taken to task over this?

15 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Land continues to be cleared on the massive TopGolf property on the east bank.

I don't have any problem with TopGolf, I think quite a good time can be had there, but I do feel this is a MASSIVE underutilization of that site. In 10-20 years, we'll be wishing that it had been built in Bellevue.

Wow!  Midtown is getting a skyline!  Would never believe that that is the small southern city where I first arrived to attend college back in fall 1988.  Would love to see someone go to the Fern Street overpass (over I-24/I-65) to get a nice skyline shot of downtown and midtown after the Skyhouse is topped out.  Really curious to see if it stretches the skyline to the west. 

So eager to see the last two shots in panorama with B'stone and M-Residences and Buckingham Gulch and JW Marriott and W hotel finished. Don't expect that the box on box 222 and Sobro will be visible from that angle after the B'stone goes up.  Cambria and Joseph hotels might be barely visible. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

Excellent points, Ricky. It's so unfortunate that such a renowned institution has been subjected to years of mismanagement. It's strange though, I know that Fisk's financial woes are well known and have been made conspiciously public, but very little appears to have been said about the management (or apparent lack thereof) of the school. Why hasn't anyone apparently been taken to task over this?

Nathan, thanks for the insight on this long recognized issue.  In the seemingly unending mire of struggling to keep its doors open, when an institution has sought financial rescue several times in the past from the community, it becomes no different from panhandling , when benefactors see the same subject of solicitation extending the hand , over and over.

The fact that the Fisk ─ or rather, its then-appointed president ─ persisted in the strategy of selling an interest in its art collection, rather than developing a capital campaign, appeared to have shifted any purported focus on dedicated fund-raising activities.  It has been stated that the normal way of managing an institution is to have developed and implemented a plan for substantial fund-raising to build an endowment, and the university has literally siphoned off all previously existing endowment resources not constrained to specific program targets.  I know as a matter of fact, during the court battle to sell part interest in the O’Keeffe art collection, that the then-current administration had engaged in polling all departmental heads for estimated assets and assumed worth.  This is no different from one trying to keep from freezing to death, by using the home furnishings for firewood, and then, when that source has been consumed, expending some of the actual house framing.  It amounts to a moribund existence.

Foundations who give serious money don't give it to poorly managed institutions ─ not to say outright that Fisk is currently poorly managed, but if the institution continuously has not been able to make itself sustainable with solvency over some long period of time, then that raises flags, which effectively creates a vicious circle of diminishing equilibrium.  Donors are frightened off by an institution’s decades of financial problems, and people who give money traditionally for conceived projects of value and who have given money to Fisk in the past, have concluded that the underlying problems of struggle have not necessarily been addressed.  In turn, these donors become just plain “sick and tired” of reaching out, so they naturally become convicted.  In the seemingly unending mire of struggling to keep its doors open, when an institution has sought financial rescue several times in the past from the community, it becomes no different from panhandling, when benefactors see the same subject of solicitation extending the hand over and over.

Sadly, an understood, silent majority ─ those who either have, who are, or who would become stakeholders in the concern ─ have quietly turned they eyes on the competence of the board of trustees themselves as ultimately accountable for the repeated shortfall of any previous administration.   Not many years in the past, there had been preliminary plans by one administration to construct a new natural science building, and more recently the last outgoing president had aspired to build a new residence hall.  The silent consensus had been that this proposal was rather grandiose at best, given the bottom line that almost all of the university’s assets are mortgaged.   There seems to have been a perpetual tendency by the Board selections committee to appoint “leaders” misaligned with reality, as harsh and opinionated as this may sound. -=:unsure:=-

• Like 3

^ ^ ^ One has to wonder what Westin may have up it's sleeve for the remainder of their property that is just south of the massive blank wall.  It is the construction office at this moment. Perhaps they will build a large restaurant or something that will better address the curve of the roundabout.  For that matter, it will be curious to see what Tony G. is putting together for the thin-slice curved lot immediately to the south (currently he has made it a Premier parking lot). Maybe he is working on buying the land directly to the west (a parking lot) and northwest (314 9th Avenue South) that would give him a decent slice of land large enough for a tower that would, hopefully, address the roundabout.  You can see all of this laid-out in this screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent Nashville Development Map:

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 3.14.21 PM.png

Here is the imposing blank cinder-block on the south edge of the Westin development from a month ago that Vrtigo is talking about:

Westin blank wall, April 2016.jpg

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 1