Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

Thanks, CenterHill.  If indeed the contractor(s) have been unaware of any potential developments crucial and germane to capacity specs (and this is not to say whether it is or is not), then that's yet another telltale "uncovering" (as it were) of planning and engineering disconnection and disengagement among all elements directly at stake.   If this happens to be the case, then It now potentially becomes one of those instances in which an ensuing change in engineering can result ultimately in increased cost to the taxpayer "down the pipe", without necessarily becoming disclosed (or defined) as an oversight, that is, without a bit of data-mining by the conscientious observant.  I would hope (and perhaps hope is about as far as it goes) that significant infrastructure undertakings would have a more defined and enforced interlocking of decision-making.

Infrastructure proposals tend to be "stateless" ─ that is, by the time they are released to the public, they have become static.  They constantly need to be revised to remain amenable to change, at least to an extent, capacity requirements not yet readily projected, particularly with respect to buried utilities (if this hopefully makes some kind of sense).  Even the planning of the connector itself leaves me questioning the decision to proceed with the build, with its current limited extent in scope.  I expect it to fill up soon anyway upon opening, and to rachet into yet another succession of amber- and red-lights.  I embrace the concept of the connector, nevertheless.

Smeags, I've gotten sort of set in the ways, I guess.  I don't seem to contribute at meetings anyway, once I'm there.  I always have enjoyed the discussions and business at the table though.  You mean you didn't see me at the meeting before last? :ph34r:

6 hours ago, CenterHill said:
On 2/25/2016 at 2:21 PM, wreynol4 said:

[with apologies to wreynol4, this is not a reply to his post, but my ipad won't let me remove it and type a "clean" reply]    

Actually a reply to markhollin's post to say good work on the Division connector photos.   Nice of the foreman to let you walk through the construction site.    If the crew was not aware of the potential Crescendo development, I'm sure they're equally unaware of the Preston proposal this week.     8" lines are not going to cut it there either.    With SoBro booming in every direction, why would Metro not build in water and sewer infrastructure with an eye toward future growth?  

8 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Why have you been MIA at the meets Ricky? You are missed my friend.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, titanhog said:

So...the bridge over the tracks now has a big curve in it because of TN Brew Works not selling...correct?  Not saying I blame them...but just shows how the city maybe could have planned this whole thing better and bought up the land a lot earlier.

Good points.  That said, I kind of like the curve.  Adds some flavor.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, titanhog said:

So...the bridge over the tracks now has a big curve in it because of TN Brew Works not selling...correct?  Not saying I blame them...but just shows how the city maybe could have planned this whole thing better and bought up the land a lot earlier.

Timing is everything, right?    TN Brew Works bought a nondescript warehouse in a neglected corner of SoBro (I refuse to say "Pie Town") and invested a substantial sum in improvements before, or just as, Metro's plans came together for the connector.   Early versions of the connector path had it going right through TBW's building.     I don't know what discussions were had about buying them out but it must have been cheaper to buy adjacent land and re-route the connector.    

2 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

Timing is everything, right?    TN Brew Works bought a nondescript warehouse in a neglected corner of SoBro (I refuse to say "Pie Town") and invested a substantial sum in improvements before, or just as, Metro's plans came together for the connector.   Early versions of the connector path had it going right through TBW's building.     I don't know what discussions were had about buying them out but it must have been cheaper to buy adjacent land and re-route the connector.    

Kinda a no-lose situation for a business if they can find out early enough where a new major route will go.  Then...buy land in the ROW and you'll either sell it for more money or have your business right on the edge of a new busy strip.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, titanhog said:

This is without looking at the map, but I think the reason for the curve is because Division and Ash are at differing angles and the curve is to connect them. I am not sure, but I think that end of Ash will cease to be called Ash and just be Division. I think Metro was trying to keep from buying the fewest number of buildings as well.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

After looking at the map, I stand corrected, but if Metro wanted TN Brew works they would have taken it even if they refused to sale. Who knows what the powers that be are thinking when decisions are made

Just to clarify, because a lot of people don't understand this about eminent domain, when a city takes a property by condemnation (eminent domain), they still have to pay for it, and are supposed to pay a fair price.  And as we know from some SoBro examples, if they fail to pay a fair price, a court just may make them pay more.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CenterHill said:

I'm surprised at how long it's taking the Diner to rise, given the steel frame.    And, btw, based on the I-65 billboard, it looks like he's going to call it just "The Diner".   

Given how creative Nashville is with there names it was either "The Diner","6 Stories", "3rd Ave S Diner", or "24 Hour Diner at 3rd Ave/Demonbreun"  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Isn't it a bit premature to erect a billboard for a diner that is, at the very least, months away from opening? it's not like tourists will plan another trip to Nashville because they saw a billboard on the interstate when they were here for  that bachelorette party!

48 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

Does anything this guy does make sense? 

Apparently, the most appealing and marketable project on their resume is one barely more than steel-framed literal hole in the ground.

Edited by Vrtigo
  • Like 1