Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

On 4/13/2016 at 10:54 AM, FrankNash said:

^^^ UBS tower has new green/blue glass. Also, you will be happy to hear the titans stadium light stanchions are being painted a bright red to match new signage. It looks so much better.

They did an excellent job with the refurbishing. They turned it into a good looking tower.

This would be awesome. The more green the city, the cleaner the air as we all know.  Add to that an observation tower and we're set. I definitely wouldn't mind Nashville taking a page or 2 from Seattle, it's a beautiful city. 

Edit: tried to quote the post on the previous page about Seattle, but wouldn't show up. 

Edited by Tim29tn
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, rookzie said:

^^...and the only other "defect" is in the photo, third from the top:    that tacky rubber-tired "Nashville Trolley"-labeled whatever it is, which indeed is "whatever-ITIS", to an otherwise advancement in maturity. -=:)=-

I actually included the trolley intentionally....yes, I realize it is the beotch rubberized version....but imagine Demonbreun with a streetcar running through that urban scene.;)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

Posted 16 hours ago by rookzie

^^...and the only other "defect" is in the photo, third from the top:    that tacky rubber-tired "Nashville Trolley"-labeled whatever it is, which indeed is "whatever-ITIS", to an otherwise advancement in maturity. -=:)=-

I actually included the trolley intentionally....yes, I realize it is the beotch rubberized version....but imagine Demonbreun with a streetcar running through that urban scene.;)

..In all honesty, though, that b!tched out, tacky-a$$ thing actually does help to fulfill a need quite well ─ far more than does the MTA's current anemic system.  I say this since I'd most like end up doing that very thing, if I were a non-Nashvillian, and wanted to get a guided sampling of the core.  The drivers do announce the approach to landmarks and generally most any points of common interest along the routes, as I used to hear them do from the sidewalk, as they stop and go while sauntering northward along 5th.

While it is not exactly a top priority or of any urgency that the MTA (or any other U.S. city transit agency) provide a seamless manner of cruising through the downtown or other core areas, it does a lousy job even for "natives" whom I seem likely are captive riders and need to transport very young dependents on the bus, to and from medical care, by transfer.  About a month ago, a bus driver, while remaining courteous throughout, simply was unable to provide much needed assistance to a lady trying to make out a route to a particular nursing home.  It was quite apparent that the lady was in dire need to reach the home, perhaps due to a work assignment, and she therefore appeared under a lot of stress.  Had I not overheard and butted into the dialog, then the rider, obviously insecure about how to negotiate the MTA network, likely would have ridden in circles.  I happened to know exactly where she needed to transfer before that point was passed, in order for her to continue the trip.  Now, I admit that in part, my ability to assist at all stemmed from my being half-way old (if not ALL way), since the place she sought was a rather obscure facility built during the mid-'60s in a distant site in the old part of North Nashville (shortly after consolidation).  No one else on the bus seemed to have heard of it.

My only point in attempting to qualify this at all is that, with all the above digression,  a real "trolley" anything ─ bus or car ─ would provide some assistance in the form of permanence to that most densely urbanized scene.  The Nashville Trolley vehicle itself makes it appear natural for any one to hop on something and get to and from somewhere else or locally, while sadly it's not as pretty as the photo makes it appear.  I know you know this, from having attended Hillsboro HS on the bus "many" years ago.  I shouldn't have to go to school to learn how to ride the bus.  Many of us here, even in the forum, might take it for granted that anyone should already know how to ride a bus and if not, they should know how to read the directions on the "can" (peeling the label first).

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

..It has the potential (or COULD have the potential) of being an upscale edition of NOLA's Lee Circle, between Carondelét St. and St. Charles Ave. at Howard Ave., where New Orleans' NORTA St. Charles (Green) Line loops around a monument, where its run splits from a dedicated median into separate eastbound and westbound runs in mixed traffic, to and from downtown.  It's really fun to "squeal" and screech along the rails while lumbering around that old circle, even in old non-AC single cars.  A modern "artic" SC could really set Demonbreun St. and the roundabout "on fire" (no, not literally like the Memphis SC's of recent), with all that "canyonization" underway, and I'd bet it would end up in showcase brochures throughout the hemisphere.

Lee Circle - New Orleans
NOLA_Lee_Circle.JPG

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 3