Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Nice shot that does not get seen much.  

Not to detract from your photo because yours is better, I just had to post this one because it is (apparently) a photo with certain buildings drawn-in to an old aerial of downtown. I'm especially puzzled by the misplacement of what appears to be a mock-up of the Buckingham Gulch tower.  Anyway, this is from the Online Tennessean, and attached to an article about the Nashville Civic Design Center. http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/tnfit/2016/04/12/tnfit-gary-gaston-civic-design-center/82518458/

The Nashville Civic Design Center has received a grant

Am I losing my mind, or is that some sort of park built on top of a (submerged?) I-40? That would be amazing. I'm sure I've missed something.

3 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Not to detract from your photo because yours is better, I just had to post this one because it is (apparently) a photo with certain buildings drawn-in to an old aerial of downtown. I'm especially puzzled by the misplacement of what appears to be a mock-up of the Buckingham Gulch tower.  Anyway, this is from the Online Tennessean, and attached to an article about the Nashville Civic Design Center. http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/tnfit/2016/04/12/tnfit-gary-gaston-civic-design-center/82518458/

Noticed they've capped I-40 between Division and Church St.  I like that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

That is basically my dream Nashville project.  I want a cap over that section of 440 even more than I want light rail.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bigeasy said:

Can we cap the rail yard while we are at it?

I know you guys are dreaming, but we'll all be deep-six'd before CSX agrees to sell air rights to cover up their Kayne, and maybe even what remains of the gulch, period.  Rights to bridges, and maybe even rights for air space limited to s few aerial structures, as they have done with Chicago's north approach to Union Station, and a little earlier with Randolph St Metra-South Shore station.  It even got done to Chicago's U-Sta. back in the mid-'60s with Mercantile Bank.

The reason NYC  has a few miles of tunneled track for Penn Sta. and Grand Central, is that these were done almost a century ago, are totally electrified (no diesel-electric), and are not freight yards.  The only way CSX might give in would be if Metro paid to reroute that vital link (NOT), or if Canadian Pacific revives its bid to take over CSX (now that it finally has backed down from a takeover of Norfolk Southern), and then CP might shut it down (NOT).

They need to wait and see if they can do volsfanwill's commuter rail concept for a reclaimed Union Station.  That too is a pipe dream, but I believe that a bit of creative repurposing would be long overdue.  Capping off the inner loop west would be premature, as it would further limit choice of few assets that now remain.  Capping is a good idea, but it's pipe.

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, rookzie said:

I know you guys are dreaming, but we'll all be deep-six'd before CSX agrees to sell air rights to cover up there Kayne, and maybe even what remains of the gulch, period.  Rights to bridges, and maybe even rights for air space limited to s few aerial structures, as they have done with Chicago's north approach to Union Station, and a little earlier with Randolph St Metra-South Shore station.  It even got done to Chicago's U-Sta. back in the mid-'60s with Mercantile Bank.

The reason NYC  has a few miles of tunneled track for Penn Sta. and Grand Central, is that these were done almost a century ago, are totally electrified (no diesel-electric), and are not freight yards.  The only way CSX might give in would be if Metro paid to reroute that vital link (NOT), or if Canadian Pacific revives its bid to take over CSX (now that it finally has backed down from a takeover of Norfolk Southern), and then CP might shut it down (NOT).

They need to wait and see if they can do volsfanwill's commuter rail concept for a reclaimed Union Station.  That too is a pipe dream, but I believe that a bit of creative repurposing would be long overdue.  Capping off the inner loop west would be premature, as it would further limit choice of few assets that now remain.  Capping is a good idea, but it's pipe.

Station

Don't crush our rainbow, Rookzie! :(:P

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Don't crush our rainbow, Rookzie! :(:P

You're right.  I need to learn to not get so serious sometimes.  Must be these damn meds makin' me rabid, of even like the Smeags and his Linda-Blair syndrome.  UTgrad already flaunted off his fantastic capping rendering last year or so. To be honest, some major capping should be formally discussed snd proposed.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, rookzie said:

You're right.  I need to learn to not get so serious sometimes.  Must be these damn meds makin' me rabid, of even like the Smeags and his Linda-Blair syndrome.  UTgrad already flaunted off his fantastic capping rendering last year or so. To be honest, some major capping should be formally discussed snd proposed.

I can't read the word "capping" without hearing some odd movie voice quote in my head saying "I'm gonna bust a cap in your _ _ _." ;)

1 hour ago, rookzie said:

Let's be honest, my rendering was very crude...but I would like to think the idea was fantastic. 

For those that didn't see it, imagine the same sort of cap in this latest rendering,  but with a Boulevard stretching from 12th Ave to Jefferson St. All of the interstate ramps were eliminated in favor of exits on each end of the cap. The roads would be 3-4 lanes, perhaps with a dedicated bus lane, and would be heavily landscaped or tree lined.

There would also be a mini-cap on the north end approaching Jefferson St.

• Like 3

Progress along Jefferson Street corridor:

10th and Jefferson Apartments, looking west along Jefferson:

10th & Jefferson Apts 1, April, 2016.jpg

10th and Jefferson Apartments looking southwest from Jefferson:

10th & Jefferson Apts 2, April, 2016.jpg

10th and Jefferson Apartments looking east from 10th and alley:

10th & Jefferson Apts 3, April, 2016.jpg

Glanton Law Offices building completed last year.  South side of Jefferson Street between 9th and 10th.

Glanton Law Office Jefferson St 2, April 2016.jpg

Glanton Law Offices building along Jefferson.  I like the curvature of the second and third floors.:

Glanton Law Office, Jeffferson St 1, April 2016.jpg

1821 Jefferson Street Apartments land prep.  South side of Jefferson near 12th Avenue. Meharry Hospital in the background to the south:

1821 Jefferson Apts, April 2016.jpg

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 3