Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, PruneTracy said:

I can see the TripAdvisor reviews now. "2.5 stars. Walls very thin; could clearly hear wailing of displaced Scandinavian tree spirits. Would not recommend to a friend."

Ha! I was being serious...most GC's (traditionally) will either fly an American flag or place a tree (think cedar at Christmas before it gets cluttered) once a building is officially topped out (you might have known that though). 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CenterHill said:

The drilling at JWM looks more like the excavation crew setting explosives.   Cummins Station should be rattling soon.     

This might be more true than you realize...

I have difficulty telling the difference between a "core" drill and a "blow the effing thing to pieces" drill, but there has definitely been blasting over the past two weeks. In fact, there was a big one just a few moments ago...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

TBT: The old Roundhouse in the Gulch, around 1930. That is Cummins Station in the upper right (painted white), with the Union Station Railroad Shed (may it RIP) just catty-corner to it above/left.  This was before the Demonbreun viaduct was constructed across the railroad tracks. In the lower right corner you can see a portion of Cannery Row. The Roundhouse sat in the notch at the junction of 12th Ave. South and Gleaves, approximately between where The Icon and Velocity condos sit today. 

Roundhouse at Gulch 1940.jpg

Looks like the lefthand side of the Roundhouse is right up against that stone wall that's between Icon and Pine Street Flats - is that right?  I think that wall is one of the only remnants of the era pictured here.  

And thanks for posting old pics like these.  I absolutely love seeing them and learning more about our area's history.

Edited by RonCamp
Added last two sentences.
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, RonCamp said:

Looks like the lefthand side of the Roundhouse is right up against that stone wall that's between Icon and Pine Street Flats - is that right?  I think that wall is one of the only remnants of the era pictured here.  

And thanks for posting old pics like these.  I absolutely love seeing them and learning more about our area's history.

nvestnbna posted this in Jan 2013 (Proj Thread), and I posted this in Apr 2015 and pointed out some remaining details of the vicinity of this view of L&N RR's Kayne Ave Yard

In recap, actually Kayne had been 11th Ave before renaming and it had been realigned to join 12th Ave. at that slant, until recent years when it got converted into the currently (supposedly) more manageable intersection during the last 10 or so years.  The source of the photo says around 1940, whereas a more authoritative (and separate) reference states that it was around 1918 that that roundhouse had been purposely dismantled, due to a then-new replacement one built at Radnor (which remains visible and in full operation as a diesel servicing facility off Trousdale Ave.)   Therefore, the photo most likely was taken sometime between 1920 and 1924, just before the Demonbreun Street viaduct was built, since it is absent from this aerial photo, and would pass immediately the north end of Cummins and the south end

That rectangular (four-square"), hipped-roof building in the lower-mid right of the photo, south of the Cummins Station building (former Keith-Simmons) and just north of what is now the Mercy Lounge at Cannery Row, was the Kayne Ave dispatch tower, that remained in use at least until 1993.  When the CSX moved all dispatch ops to Jacksonville, that tower was razed.  The building on site of former Marshall-Bruce Printing Co. (left-center) is now the current location of Urban Outfitters and Two Old Hippies, southwest corner of 11th and Pine. -==-

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rookzie said:

nvestnbna posted this in Jan 2013 (Proj Thread), and I posted this in Apr 2015 and pointed out some remaining details of the vicinity of this view of L&N RR's Kayne Ave Yard

In recap, actually Kayne had been 11th Ave before renaming and it had been realigned to join 12th Ave. 

Probably a stupid question, but, would this be where Kayne Prime got their name from?

Edited by bhibbs

Just now, bhibbs said:

Probably a stupid question, but, would this be where Kayne Prine got their name from?

Far from being stupid.  The fact that you even picked up on it deserves merit.  @volsfanwill had arrived at a similar conclusion last April.  "Kayne" has become a local buzz term in revival, and as long as you don't piss me off by "mispelling" it as "Kanye" (*ahem-ahem*), then I won't get mad and consider it stupid.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rookzie said:

Far from being stupid.  The fact that you even picked up on it deserves merit.  @volsfanwill had arrived at a similar conclusion last April.  "Kayne" has become a local buzz term in revival, and as long as you don't piss me off by "mispelling" it as "Kanye" (*ahem-ahem*), then I won't get mad and consider it stupid.

Yo...I'm going down to eat at Kanye Prime. :P

• Like 1