Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

4 hours ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

Could be elevated, like Phoenix Plaza in Pontiac. Put it atop a parking garage with BOH access to the VAA and you got something. 

The interwebs show the capacity of that one at only 3500. I think they're talking more like 10,000 capacity venue. 

I think a great place for it might be the North end of Belknap Park. It already has a built-in hill to it and it already hosts a couple of concerts. 

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

The interwebs show the capacity of that one at only 3500. I think they're talking more like 10,000 capacity venue. 

I think a great place for it might be the North end of Belknap Park. It already has a built-in hill to it and it already hosts a couple of concerts. 

That's small, sure. But it's an example that it can be done.

Shouldn't this have it's own thread? This is a great topic. 

22 hours ago, kwl said:

Could you feasibly tear out the south, unfinished portion of VAA to allow somewhat of a stage setup that could be used internally or externally?

Although I agree, especially after seeing the 20-30 semi trucks that are staged behind the arena for the Eric Church show this weekend, it would be a very tight fit. 

I was just going to say that after seeing what they needed for that concert today, the back of the VAA is more needed for touring acts to have a staging area than any other use

Agreed. To me the best use would be a parking ramp with liner buildings around it. The first floor could be used for load in load out only. 

I don’t like the idea of an amphitheater there (kind of like the ballpark idea). I’d hate to see something inactive for so much of the year. I think it could work in other areas of the city, but I’d like to see more density, not a 2 season concert venue. 

Actually, if built right, part of the Market Street lot (which seems to have gone nowhere), might be a good spot. Especially if they could incorporate it into the riverfront. 

Joe

• Like 4

Merged. :)

So I was looking at at few amphitheaters around the country and thought of a somewhat radical (?) idea (or everyone's doing it and I'm just behind). 

Grand Rapids has talked about removing flood walls for "flood protection systems". Basically, a stepped approach that allows the river to swell and recede, while allowing people to interact with the river. I wonder if it would be possible to build an amphitheater along the river that could serve as a flood protection system. Basically, build it in a way that would allow the seating areas to flood (if necessary in the spring) while building the stage to a level that wouldn't flood. 

I started looking at Amphitheaters, the the Bayfront Park Amphitheater in Miami is pretty interesting. It seats 10,000:

The Klipsch Amphitheater at Bayfront Park has a capacity of has a seating capacity of 10,000 people: 2,672 fixed benches and 7,328 in the lawn. The best seats are of course the fixed benches but due to the angle, the lawn will also give unprecedented views.

Here's some photo's:

bayfront1.png

bayfront-2.jpg

bayfront-3.jpg

I looked at the area around market street, and it would squeeze in pretty well, with additional room for development along Market, and to the south. This might also work on the property the County put up for sale recently on Front street, but I don't know if it would have the appeal / infrastructure in place to handle the traffic (but it could serve the same purpose. A eco/river friendly amphitheater that seats 10,000 on the banks of the Grand River. Here's how that sized amphitheater would fit on the Market lots:

market-street2.png

market-street1.png

Thoughts?

Joe

• Like 1

That is literally the most perfect place for one.

I think it may be the ONLY place in Grand Rapids for one.

A central city location that isnt going to impact a residential neighborhood with concert noise, and that will bring people to a mostly desolate location, and will spark spin-off projects.

Also, this could be something that GR/Kent Co. can do right now with a little tossed in by generous benefactors, while perhaps making the leftover property the city wants to sell more doable for a developer because it will not be as large and will have this major attraction next door with all of the infrastructure improvements that will go with it.

It would also be pretty cool if they put a projection screen on the other side facing the river that you can anchor you boat in front of, and watch the concert for free in the river.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Merged. :)

So I was looking at at few amphitheaters around the country and thought of a somewhat radical (?) idea (or everyone's doing it and I'm just behind). 

Grand Rapids has talked about removing flood walls for "flood protection systems". Basically, a stepped approach that allows the river to swell and recede, while allowing people to interact with the river. I wonder if it would be possible to build an amphitheater along the river that could serve as a flood protection system. Basically, build it in a way that would allow the seating areas to flood (if necessary in the spring) while building the stage to a level that wouldn't flood. 

I started looking at Amphitheaters, the the Bayfront Park Amphitheater in Miami is pretty interesting. It seats 10,000:

The Klipsch Amphitheater at Bayfront Park has a capacity of has a seating capacity of 10,000 people: 2,672 fixed benches and 7,328 in the lawn. The best seats are of course the fixed benches but due to the angle, the lawn will also give unprecedented views.

Here's some photo's:

bayfront1.png

bayfront-2.jpg

bayfront-3.jpg

I looked at the area around market street, and it would squeeze in pretty well, with additional room for development along Market, and to the south. This might also work on the property the County put up for sale recently on Front street, but I don't know if it would have the appeal / infrastructure in place to handle the traffic (but it could serve the same purpose. A eco/river friendly amphitheater that seats 10,000 on the banks of the Grand River. Here's how that sized amphitheater would fit on the Market lots:

market-street2.png

market-street1.png

Thoughts?

Joe

What about noise from 131? I thought that was one of the reasons they thought about putting it near Millenium Park.

I have no acoustics engineering background, but I’d think dealing with expressway noise (which might not be terribly bad since concerts typically occur on nights (past rush hour) and weekendS. Also, might be easier to deal with than trying to contain the sound from residential neighbors. The Pritzker pavilion in Chicago is right next to lake shore drive and a bunch of city streets and doesn’t seem to be an issue. 

I think the front street lot might have a lot more issues with noise (very close to the expressway with no buffer. 

Joe

6 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I have no acoustics engineering background, but I’d think dealing with expressway noise (which might not be terribly bad since concerts typically occur on nights (past rush hour) and weekendS. Also, might be easier to deal with than trying to contain the sound from residential neighbors. The Pritzker pavilion in Chicago is right next to lake shore drive and a bunch of city streets and doesn’t seem to be an issue. 

I think the front street lot might have a lot more issues with noise (very close to the expressway with no buffer. 

Joe

Agreed, I don't think highway noise would be a problem, other than semi's doing that engine-braking (which they could prohibit in that area easily). Concerts usually start when rush hour traffic is over anyway. 

And thanks for merging Joe!

On 10/6/2019 at 12:59 PM, joeDowntown said:

Joe

Pritzker is a whole block away from Lake Shore Dr. It's also buffered by surface-level roads by a triple tree line, which with 131 being elevated would require some larger older growth trees to serve as a suitable sound barrier.

• Like 1

An amphitheater behind the arena sounds completely ridiculous to me.  Even one downtown seems like kind of a waste of space, unless it's on something like the butterworth dump or old gypsum mines, which will probably never happen.  Does it have to be in Grand Rapids proper?  Both Tinley Park and DTE are 45+minutes outside of Chicago and Detroit.  Put it out by the airport or 10 mile and 131 or 100th and 131.

1 hour ago, Floyd_Z said:

An amphitheater behind the arena sounds completely ridiculous to me.  Even one downtown seems like kind of a waste of space, unless it's on something like the butterworth dump or old gypsum mines, which will probably never happen.  Does it have to be in Grand Rapids proper?  Both Tinley Park and DTE are 45+minutes outside of Chicago and Detroit.  Put it out by the airport or 10 mile and 131 or 100th and 131.

Where are the old gypsum mines?

1 hour ago, RegalTDP said:

Ottawa County-based Pux Cider is opening up a tasting room on Fuller, next to The Cheese Lady: https://mibiz.com/sections/food-agribusiness/pux-cider-plans-grand-rapids-tasting-room

That'll be a great addition to the neighborhood. Chris and Andy's family has owned apple farms in Conklin for over a century I believe, they definitely know what they are doing when it comes to growing them.

On 10/6/2019 at 7:08 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Agreed, I don't think highway noise would be a problem, other than semi's doing that engine-braking (which they could prohibit in that area easily). Concerts usually start when rush hour traffic is over anyway. 

And thanks for merging Joe!

Nashville has one pretty close to a highway. I wonder if they have sound issues.

9F1C3D27-5707-4F9A-BEDC-F68398DD926A.jpeg

• Like 1

I walked around that one in Nashville last summer. It’s super nice and right on the outskirts of DT. I don’t recall a lot of traffic noise, but i was there for the venue and to spy on a sound check for Needtobreathe, not to enjoy a concert. The sound did travel behind it quite a ways. I could pretty clearly hear from that bridge on the right side of the above picture. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

That'll be a great addition to the neighborhood. Chris and Andy's family has owned apple farms in Conklin for over a century I believe, they definitely know what they are doing when it comes to growing them.

How will that go over with Unlimited Alternatives next door?