Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Most of the articles I have read have pointed to the mixed use residential buildings being built by the Sounds Organization. So maybe that was the agreement made with the Sounds and the private developers?

From the article:

http://archive.tennessean.com/article/20131111/NEWS/311110057/Mayor-wants-city-pay-65M-new-Nashville-Sounds-stadium

"The proposal, which includes deals between Metro and the Triple-A baseball franchise, the state and a private developer, calls for a $50 million private investment by the Sounds organization for a new mixed-use and retail development to anchor the facility. Sounds owner Frank Ward, a longtime developer in his native New York, said his team’s construction of its mixed-use component is “only a question of when” — not if — adding that it wouldn’t have bought the land if it didn’t plan to follow through."

The 2 buildings below are to be developed by the Sounds and look to have retail on the bottom.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

3096125_G.jpg

As a resident of Germantown, I'm happy to see the stadium built in the area, but I'm not at all disappointed that there is another purely residential buffer between my neighborhood and the baseball stadium. I'm also not at all worried that there will be adequate stadium related amenities to enhance the game day experience. There are currently 5-6 existing restaurants and at least a half a dozen more bar/restaurants announced or under construction in Germantown alone. The "ballpark neighborhood" needs a community to support it 365 days a year, not just on the 80 or so game days. It needs to be attractive to both visiting ticket holders and neighborhood residents. I suspect a sports bar or two will pop up in the Sulphur Dell neighborhood closer to the stadium over the next year or so but I'm not exactly sure what else is required. Incidentally, according to the First Tennessee Park promotional video, there appears to be a large tailgating area planned along 5th avenue with outdoor tents and lawn space that looks very inviting to the public not at all private. There is plenty of additional "game day experience" inside the stadium.

You make some good points from the Germantown perspective.  Germantown folks may actually prefer to keep a quiet residential buffer between themselves and the ballpark, and to direct the gameday activities westward toward Bicentennial Mall, where there is more open air space to accomodate the crowds and more green space to soak up the noise. That perspective makes a lot of sense.

All I am saying is that the omission of any kind of restaurant/bar on the Emery property seems like a missed opportunity.  Would not something akin to Silo, Red Bicycle, or 312 Pizza occupying a corner of the building be supported by those residents 365/year, with lines out the door on game/event nights?  It would seem that the commercial lease would be a cash cow for the HOA/management company to offset costs or to reinvest in other amenities for the Emery project residents.

From a connectivity perspective, I am concerned that Jefferson is an arterial street and there so very little commercial space fronting it at the moment.  It is as though Jefferson Street will remain nothing more than a large cut-through street for cars unless something pretty spectacular comes online at the Geist Blacksmith Shop or another space.   We will have to see.

Edited by bwithers1

From a connectivity perspective, I am concerned that Jefferson is an arterial street and there so very little commercial space fronting it at the moment.  It is as though Jefferson Street will remain nothing more than a large cut-through street for cars unless something pretty spectacular comes online at the Geist Blacksmith Shop or another space.   We will have to see.

DSCN1776_zpsbafc524c.jpg

Speaking of which, there was a crew apparently washing down the facade of the building today while I was snapping ballpark construction pictures (in the ballpark thread). What is the speculation regarding Geist?

DSCN1776_zpsbafc524c.jpg

Speaking of which, there was a crew apparently washing down the facade of the building today while I was snapping ballpark construction pictures (in the ballpark thread). What is the speculation regarding Geist?

Restaurant and retail of some sort: http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/10/13/restaurants-retail-use-eyed-geist-site-germantown-area/17215767/

It's good news that another potential hotel is in the works, but Hyatt Regency has some pretty bland and uninspiring designs as far as hotels go. Definitely not expecting anything great with this one, but I hope I'm wrong. Almost every one I've seen (even the newer ones) look like they were designed straight out of the 80's. 

I'd love to see a good sports bar or restaurant like a Sam's or Toot's go in there.

Whoever puts in a good sports bar on the north side of town is going to make a fortune.  I really would like to see new construction on Jefferson street to jump start the commercial/retail revival.