Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

2 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

I can't find the video but NC5 had video of the Smiley character talking about this and he was literally shaking.  Dude is so triggered lol.

Also, congrats @PaulChinetti, when you Google image search Shane Smiley Nashville your avatar shows up in the third row.

Oh my, that's quite the association. 

He got gaveled last night by the chairman. After the public comment section was done and the commissioners were asking questions. One of them asked about the 2011 referendum  and the Metro charter and the commission's legal counsel and a Metro lawyer were telling them that it was ok by the charter and by the referendum.

The lawyers were describing how it was legal, he kept raising his hand and the chairman would just shake his head and he would put his hand down. Then they said it was completely legal and he started talking/yelling at the legal council and the commissioners and the chairman gaveled him to be quiet. 

He also got 5 minutes of talk time instead of 2 like everyone else because he applied for it beforehand.

Hi, I just wondered if anyone has ever thought of the safety concerns?  900 apartments, with many low or marginal, income, there will be over 1,000  residents living in a small space will bring drug use and crime. Add 200 hotel rooms, at least 150  residents and you increase crime potential. Add a bar and you are asking for even more crime.. Add soccer stadium and you add 10,000's more to a small area. Add beer sales at stadium and you get more risk of drunk driving . Add 10,000 cars trying to get to stadium and you get traffic nightmare. Add 7,000 cars ( Only planned parking for 7,000 cars. ) trying to leave fairgrounds with several traffic lights,  trains and local traffic and it will take many hours just to leave fairgrounds. Then think about young guys watching the girls playing soccer in the new soccer fields. What do you think will happen after they have had a few beers ? You will get harassment, intimidation or worse. What will the average fairground visitor think about safety when they hear of countless police visits to fairgrounds?  Would you take your children to fairground activity seeing 100's of people wandering around ?  Maybe people should think of fairground as a place to take their family and not as a CASH COW FOR THE RICH   

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Randi said:

Hi, I just wondered if anyone has ever thought of the safety concerns?  900 apartments, with many low or marginal, income, there will be over 1,000  residents living in a small space will bring drug use and crime. Add 200 hotel rooms, at least 150  residents and you increase crime potential. Add a bar and you are asking for even more crime.. Add soccer stadium and you add 10,000's more to a small area. Add beer sales at stadium and you get more risk of drunk driving . Add 10,000 cars trying to get to stadium and you get traffic nightmare. Add 7,000 cars ( Only planned parking for 7,000 cars. ) trying to leave fairgrounds with several traffic lights,  trains and local traffic and it will take many hours just to leave fairgrounds. Then think about young guys watching the girls playing soccer in the new soccer fields. What do you think will happen after they have had a few beers ? You will get harassment, intimidation or worse. What will the average fairground visitor think about safety when they hear of countless police visits to fairgrounds?  Would you take your children to fairground activity seeing 100's of people wandering around ?  Maybe people should think of fairground as a place to take their family and not as a CASH COW FOR THE RICH   

Welcome to life in a CITAY.  Sounds like you are better suited for living in the wilderness far from civilization where no one can hurt you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Randi said:

Extremely stupid post. Welcome to the forum! Lol

It's possible. A fair amount of the anti crowd gave their address as places outside of Davidson county but are connected to the Fairgrounds in other ways be it vendors/racing/christmas village etc, etc.

Shane Smiley represents some of the Fairgrounds vendors. I'm not sure what his official title is.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

It's possible. A fair amount of the anti crowd gave their address as places outside of Davidson county but are connected to the Fairgrounds in other ways be it vendors/racing/christmas village etc, etc.

Shane Smiley represents some of the Fairgrounds vendors. I'm not sure what his official title is.

President of the Flea Market Vendors. 

• Like 2

Just for the State Fair alone, does anyone have any hard attendance figures? I tried to find them via Google but just got two differing numbers on Wikipedia, I know not a completely reliable source. The figures were 200,000 and 105,000. Those seem small to me as the figures I found for the Wilson County fair were almost 500,000. If the numbers are close to accurate, even on the high end that means that for the 11 days of the fair it averages less than 20,000 people in attendance daily. Not very many for something that is supposed to be so vitally important to the framework of Nashville. 

Now I know there are other events there, I am just trying to find justification in the fairs attendance numbers to try and stop something that if it goes as planned would bring between 1.5 or up to 3 times the number of people to events there. (Stadium seating at 30,500 x 17 games).  Not the best scientific research methodology, but good enough for arguments sake. Thanks, and I will hang up and listen to your answers.

Oh a good point that the legal council brought up. The State Fair’s contract is done after this year (2018). Then the Fairgrounds only has to by law hold a “divisional fair” (not sure what that means). 

So technically this could be the last year for the State Fair at the Fairgrounds 

• Like 2

Randi found us. Keep it nice,and back up your position with facts. I think you will have a hard time finding the facts as the average hotel daily rate is pretty high and these people will be spending big bucks to stay at those hotels.

Dont throw out a blanket statement on this board that is false because you will get corrected in a NY minute.

Also the apartments are affordable and not low income I do believe. Someone correct me if I am mistaken on that. The definition of Affordable housing is below.

Affordable housing is housing which is deemed affordable to those with a median household income as rated by the national government or a local government by a recognized housing affordability index. ... Housing choice is a response to an extremely complex set of economic, social, and psychological impulses.

No hotel company will invest in a hotel in this area unless there is a good payoff for them. The rates will probably be around 180 to 200  dollars a night, so no druggies or drug dealers will be hanging here. We will leave that for the flea bag hotels over in E. Nashville Dickerson Rd area or down on Murfreesboro Pike.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Oh a good point that the legal council brought up. The State Fair’s contract is done after this year (2018). Then the Fairgrounds only has to by law hold a “divisional fair” (not sure what that means). 

So technically this could be the last year for the State Fair at the Fairgrounds 

divisional, like the 3 grand divisions of TN.  like how knoxville has the TN Valley Fair that is like the state fair but for all of east TN

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Randi said:

You ever go to a Titans game? It's nothing but a demolition derby of drunk drivers, pedophiles and rapists out to get everyone's families. I mean, they have all the symptoms, just on a larger scale. 67k people crammed into an area? Check. Beer sales? Check. Women allowed out in public? *shudder* Check. You're completely on target in your assessment of what is going to happen. Just be glad that Ikea isn't coming into town, I've heard they aren't from America...

idjut.gif

Edited by satalac
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1