Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

I'll be going. 

I'm ready for it to be a crap show of epic proportions.

1. Fist fights, possibly?
  2. Unnecessary screaming and cursing, for sure!
  3. People telling everyone how long they/their family have lived in Nashville before going off onto some tangent that barley touches on the Fairgrounds, you betcha!!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

ha,  I am pro MLS and the stadium deal, but....how is the world do you discern 'racism' from this ill-informed statement? 

3 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

"1,000 people, mostly low income, will be residing on 10 acres. Included in these residents will most likely be drug dealers and prostitutes. (Known fact in large cities.)"

I mean this isn't even low-key racism, it's full blown. 

At first, he was making inferences about the ramifications of the demography of that part of the city.  What sold the racism to me is when he writes, "Putting so many people, of mixed means and mentality, in a small area invites those who could prey on children..." 

Yeah, all right bud. We all see your true colors. As if pedophilia happens exclusively in large cities in diverse or ethnic neighborhoods.

@nashville_bound I also dislike our knee-jerk "race card" pulling these days, but in this instance, it's pretty obvious what this guy is trying to say. I agree with @PaulChinetti that this is as racist as it is irrational.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, nativetenn said:

@nashville_bound I also dislike our knee-jerk "race card" pulling these days, but in this instance, it's pretty obvious what this guy is trying to say. I agree with @PaulChinetti that this is as racist as it is irrational.

I’m not throwing it around lightly. This seems pretty obvious to me. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Public comment section now. A lot of people that live in the neighborhood, including one guy who’s backyard would literally be the stadium and the CEO of Dick’s Sporting Goods in favor. 

It’s hard to tell. I’m thinking it’s leaning pro but I am biased  I spoke in favor.

Councilperson Glover told them to vote for it. So the council could decide, in a super condescending way, like the committee doesn’t know their jobs. 

My comments. 

- My wife and I live within a mile of the fairgrounds and I would love to have MLS in our neighborhood 

- I didn’t grow up playing soccer but have fallen in love with Nashville soccer and what the proposed plan will do for the walkability of our community that my wife and I are so proud to be a part of.

- I believe the Metro planning committee has done everything in their power to accommodate everyone who has a stake in the fairgrounds to improve it and their facilities. 

- As someone who lives and works in the area I whole heartedly approve this planned rezoning. 

Well done.

• Like 4

Smiley is talking. 

- This proposal kills off the uses from the referendum. 

- In 2011 71% of Nashvillians vote in favor. Then he said that was 43,000 people. 43,000... 

- He’s now asking for a one month deferral. 

Good lord man. I know this guy is super passionate about the Fairgrounds and I can dig that but some of the things he says are so bad/wrong/incorrect. 

He talked for 5 minutes and didn’t say much except talking about the referendum. 

Gruhn is up now. He’s against it obviously. 1.5 million people a year use the fairgrounds. Said it’s more than Bridgestone Arena. 

I’m not sure that their plan to use the 2011 referendum is going to work. Seems like Ingram and his lawyers would have poured over that referendum. 

The chairperson just has to tell an old lady to be professional. 

A lot less people standing to speak against. But it’s an older crowd so they might just be sitting until it’s their turn. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

what does "approve with conditions and disapprove without all conditions subject to approval of the associated plan amendment" mean? 

1 hour ago, Rockatansky said:

As I understand it, it means #1b only receives staff approval if #1a passes first (un-amended). 

There are two parts to that.  

The first thing that has to happen is for the community plan to be altered. This is the "subject to approval of the associated plan amendment." The plan amendment is amending the Nashville Next plan that was finalized in 2015 or so. It is a less specific guiding document and is not zoning. However, in order for the city to implement any zoning it has to be consistent with the overarching community plan. There are six basic categories of the community plan (T1-T6 ranging from natural, no development to downtown) and they are having to alter part of the plan to allow for what's a called T4 urban plan. If they pass the community plan amendment, THEN they can consider the zoning change. 

The second part is "approve with conditions and disapprove without all conditions."  All this is is technical requirements (although important) that planning staff places on the plan.  They are recommending that council pass the amendment for a zoning change as long as all of the recommended conditions are kept in the amendment. For example, stormwater management might have conditions that need to be completed. The same thing goes for other departments like public works, parking/traffic, fire marshal, etc. This is stuff that never really matters when it comes to whether a project passes or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Now someone saying this is a gross violation of the Metro charter. 

He also said he would bring a lawsuit against this, and had 60 days to prepare it. 

This is fun, isn’t it Paul? 

Haven't they already sued Metro and had it tossed out?

Public comments are always crazy.  Just for fun, I was reviewing the public comments that are accessible online through the planning commission's website.  I just had to include this to show how ridiculous some comments are. I will leave his name off of it, although it is public record. This is a letter:

-------------------------------------------------------

Hi Planning commissioners,

You are about to vote on mixed use zoning at Nashville Fairgrounds.
If you vote for mixed use,900 apartments, 200 hotel rooms, soccer stadium and serving drinks you are going to destroy everything good at the fairgrounds. I will list all the negative events that will happen. CAN YOU GIVE ME ANY POSITIVE EVENTS ? I WILL BE WAITING.

1. 1,000 people, mostly low income, will be residing on 10 acres. Included in these residents will most likely be drug dealers and prostitutes. ( Known fact in large cities.)
2. 200 hotel rooms will be ideal place to order drugs and night company.

3. Adding a bar will be ideal meeting place for above businesses.

4. Add soccer stadium and you get a great increase for drug buys and night company.

5. With soccer stadium, you may get a great amount of drugs coming in to Nashville.

OK Lets forget the drug trade and go on.

1. Can you show any study a soccer stadium has helped local business ?
    Most studies show it destroys local business. ( Look at what football stadium did to local Memphis business.}

2. How are 10,000 -12,000 cars supposed to get to fairgrounds in timely manner ?

3. Where are 10,000 - 12,000 soccer fans supposed to park ? You already have around 900

parking spaces for apartment and hotel and bar use ?

4. Do a traffic study and see how long it will take, only 6,000 cars to leave fairgrounds.

Remember there are several traffic lights, train tracks and local traffic. If you had 3 exits and light traffic from other directions, it would take around 10 minutes for 100 cars to leave fairgrounds. 1,000 cars would be 1 and half hours. 4,000 cars would be 6 hours. Imagine having 6 beers and waiting only 2 hours to leave fairgrounds ?

OK lets forget about the soccer stadium and go on

10. You approve mixed use zoning and have a bar serving who knows what kind of residents at apartments or hotel. You will have intoxicated patrons.

THIS IS STILL CITY PROPERTY AND THE CITY COULD BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR KNOWINGLY APPROVING A CONDITION THAT COULD RESULT IN:

A. The main entrance to fairground is in front of school. Regardless of where soccer stadium or bar is located, there is a exit in front of school!
SCHOOL CHILDREN COULD BE KILLED BY DRUNK DRIVER !

B. Putting so many people, of mixed means and mentality, in a small area invites those who could prey on children. How many girls could be watched while they are playing soccer at the million dollar soccer fields also on the fairgrounds?
GIRLS COULD BE ABDUCTED AND KILLED BY FAIRGROUND RESIDENTS!

IF A CHILD IS KILLED BY DRUNK DRIVER LEAVING FAIRGROUND OR ABDUCTED AT SOCCER FIELD THE CITY OF NASHVILLE COULD BE HELD RESPONSIBLE!

MEMBERS OF VARIOUS COMMITTEES COULD ALSO BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR PASSING LAWS THAT MADE THIS CONDITION POSSIBLE!

HOW WOULD YOU FEEL KNOWING A CHILD WAS KILLED BECAUSE YOU PASSED MIXED USE ZONING AT FAIRGROUNDS?

WOULD YOU LET YOUR CHILDREN GO TO FAIRGROUND SOCCER WITH WHO KNOWS WHO IS WATCHING AND KNOWING A DRUNK COULD CREATE A RISK TO THEIR WELL BEING ?

I WILL BE WAITING FOR A REASON FOR MIXED USE ZONING.