Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

That’s what scares me. Very notax4trax. 

I wish I would have made the point that the fairgrounds is within the 440 circle. It’s not a suburb. It’s within  2 miles of the inner core. 

Now a woman is saying there are two toxic waste dumps on the Fairgrounds site.

The anti crowd really hates that any plans change once they are set. It’s a freaking city, this city is wildly different than it was in 2011. 

One guy just straight up lied and said he was late to a previous community meeting because he got stuck at the train on 4th Ave S and Hart St. I know he was there from the beginning because he was there yelling at one of the city planners. 

The anti crowd really hates that any plans change once they are set. It’s a freaking city, this city is wildly different than it was in 2011. 

One guy just straight up lied and said he was late to a previous community meeting because he got stuck at the train on 4th Ave S and Hart St. I know he was there from the beginning because he was there yelling at one of the city planners. 

• Like 4

Obviously your right to call him whatever, but i tend to hold back on labeling people racist unless there is actual evidence of racism....it is that old saying. "If everyone is a racist, then no one is a racist".

Regardless, Go NSC!

16 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

I’m not throwing it around lightly. This seems pretty obvious to me. 

Edited by Guest

Planning Commission Signs Off

Nashville planning commission signs off on rezoning for MLS stadium plan at fairgrounds

Joey Garrison, Nashville TennesseanPublished 7:10 p.m. CT Aug. 1, 2018

636632587425958218-mls2.jpgBuy Photo

(Photo: Joseph Garrison / The Tennessean)

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

After getting an earful from Nashvillians, the Metro Planning Commission voted Wednesday to recommend rezoning a portion of the city's fairgrounds for a new Major League Soccer stadium and surrounding mixed-use development.

A pair of unanimous 6-0 votes on two zone changes came after a passionate public hearing where scores of soccer fans and fairgrounds advocates debated the future of the site. 

It was a split crowd, one divided between a younger group of Nashvillians backing the project — some newer residents of the city — and an older generation with long ties to the fairgrounds.  

After three hours of combined public hearing and debate, planning commissioners ultimately sided with a plan pushed by Mayor David Briley and supported by the planning department's staff and the area's Councilman Colby Sledge.

"This is the right project at the right time," commissioner Jeff Haynes said. 

The vote clears the proposal for the Metro Council, which will take up the rezoning and three other pieces of legislation related to the stadium this month. 

Two changes backed by commission 

The planning commission endorsed two changes. 

One change would be a new Specific Plan, a type of zoning district, for the fairgrounds that would allow mixed-use development, enabling Nashville's MLS ownership group led by billionaire businessman John Ingram to build a private development with housing, retail, office and a hotel on 10 acres next to the stadium.

The land is currently zoned for warehousing, wholesaling, and bulk distribution. 

The new Specific Plan would allow up to 900 units of housing, buildings that are five stories tall and 350,000 square feet of retail, office and other non-residential uses. The 30,500-seat stadium would be built on the highest-elevation, west side of the property.

In addition, the plan calls for a reworked road network in and around the 117-acre fairgrounds property, including a Wedgewood Avenue extension from Rains Avenue to intersect with Craighead Street. Benton Avenue and Rains avenues would also be extended near where the new private development would go.

Separately, the commission voted to recommend that the council amend the South Nashville Community Plan from an open space category to a community center. 

A 'pass-through' to a destination, backers say

During the public hearing, proponents touted the opportunity to activate the fairgrounds site, which is often empty when flea markets or auto-racing events aren't taking place. They included soccer enthusiasts, immigrants advocates, business owners and neighbors.

Jason Howes, a fairgrounds neighbor who supports the stadium project, said he's excited to be able to walk his child to a revamped fairgrounds. 

"Right now, there's a fence that surrounds it," he said. "It's great at keeping people out. It’s not good for letting people in.”

Kyle Mountsier, a soccer fan from Madison, said, "For most people everyday, the fairgrounds is a pass-through or pass-around,

"What I see in this plan is a place where instead of driving through, I get to stop and I get to be a part of the community of Wedgewood-Houston." 

Opponents slam 'land grab'

But opponents of the project said the stadium and mixed-use development would violate the spirt of a 2011 Metro charter amendment approved by voters to preserve the status quo at the fairgrounds. 

Shane Smiley, head of the Nashville Flea Market Vendors Association, said he and others have collected more than 3,000 signatures in opposition of the stadium plan at the fairgrounds.

"This proposal that's before you acts in absolute opposite of what the voters said they wanted done for this property," he said, also questioning the project's plan for parking. 

George Gruhn, a longtime fairgrounds supporter rand owner of Gruhn Guitars, disputed the suggestion that the fairgrounds is underutilized in its current form. 

"The fairgrounds has managed despite virtual total lack of support from Metro," he said. "This is a land grab and it is opposed to the referendum of 2011."

Gicolay Lane, another opponent, said the neighborhood has suffered enough from gentrification, and this plan would exacerbate it further. 

"I'm opposed to this plan because it reeks of privilege," Lane said. 

Community benefit agreement key for many 

Even some lined up to speak in favor of the project warned that they will only support thee project if team ownership signs on to a community benefits agreement. The plan would commit the team's owners to things like affordable housing and ensure wages are a certain level for workers. 

"We have to think about the people who are going to be working in this stadium and the ones who are going to help construct the stadium," said Odessa Kelly of Stand Up Nashville, a union-aligned group negotiating the community benefits agreement with the team. "They can't afford to live in Wedgewood-Houston. 

"Is it so wrong for us to have standards for those people who are the working class of this city?" she said. "Yes, we want soccer, but at what cost? 

Votes ahead for Metro Council 

As part of the stadium plan, the existing expo center buildings where flea markets and other events are held would be torn down and rebuilt near Walsh Road and Craighead Street, the lowest-elevated part of the property.

Last month, the Metro Board of Fair Commissioners and Nashville Sports Authority voted to entered into a ground lease for the stadium to be built on the site. 

The council last November voted 31-6 to approve a preliminary plan to authorize $225 million in bonds for the stadium project. It was a key step before MLS weeks later awarded Nashville an expansion franchise.

But the bonds are contingent on the council clearing several proposals in the coming weeks: the rezoning, an additional $50 million in general obligation bonds, a ground lease between the city and ownership for the private development, the demolition of existing fairgrounds buildings and the adoption of a ticket tax for the stadium.

1 minute ago, titanhog said:

It still surprises me how much emotion surrounds the Fairgrounds.  Heck...Music Row being taken apart piece by piece doesn't seem to provoke this kind of emotion...and we live in MUSIC CITY, for cryin' out loud! 

And what exactly are the pro fairgrounds people upset about? They still get the fairgrounds. Are they upset the dingy parking lot full of parked school buses is going away? "Don't you dare improve this space!!!!"

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, satalac said:

And what exactly are the pro fairgrounds people upset about? They still get the fairgrounds. Are they upset the dingy parking lot full of parked school buses is going away? "Don't you dare improve this space!!!!"

It’s crazy. Read some of my posts. They are all over the place. 

• Like 1

At times like this I wish I still lived in Davidson Co. I did so when the vote was taken on the Titans stadium. That was an easy yes vote. This deal is, it seems to me, much better for the city financially. I just do not understand the mentality of the people opposed to this deal. Do they think that the necessary improvements are going to be made to that place? I find that very unlikely. But for now, I will just have to support NSC by going to the games at the lovely new stadium.

• Like 3

Some things are a coin flip when it comes to whether or not the announced plan is what is best for the city (kinda like the recent mass transit proposal).  But this is so obviously a great thing for the city and the fairgrounds that it really is stunning to me that there is an outcry at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

I didn’t but pink shirt guy walked pasted me mumble shouting “That’s why we are the 3rd most corrupt city in the nation!”

Where do the get this stuff from??  Do they literally just make it up, or is it crap thrown around on local talk radio or something?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1