Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

I was at the race Saturday night with a bunch of neighbors. The “No MLS” folks were trying to get everyone walking by to sign the petition. I told them we supported the soccer stadium coming in the neighborhood. They also grabbed a mic to rally the crowd between races. I’m sure there were some drunken emails sent to the council.  

It’s good, cheap entertainment that can coexist with soccer. Also, they better hope the ABC doesn’t come through. They didn’t check anyone’s ID, and you could buy as many beers as you wanted. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Randi said:

Hi,  Guess you guys have no children. Would you want your children living next to a bar ? 25 single parents rent apartments.  Where are 50 - 100 school children supposed to play ? Where are busses supposed to go ?  Is this being racist ? I am still waiting for anyone to find national report saying any sport stadium is good, not harmful to local economy.  Tell me what happens when you have different religions, different races, different nationalities and different incomes mixed into 10 acres with a bar ? Guess you readers do not care if your taxes are raised big time. ( Of course billionaire owners will not pay property taxes.)  TRUTH Nashville fairgrounds makes more money, and is occupied more days, than any other city owned stadium, convention center and other entertainment venues. Nashville Fairgrounds had millions of dollars syphoned away by Karl Dean who's main goal was to destroy fairgrounds. Fairgrounds has 10 million dollars for improvements they can not spend as stadium is in way.  Karl Dean and John Ingram close friends. I am still waiting to hear some intelligent responses not silly nonsense. COME ON PEOPLE GIVE ME FACTS TO SUPPORT YOUR LAND GIVE AWAY AND STADIUM.  WHAT IS WRONG WITH METRO CENTER ? DOWE HAVE ANY INTELLIGENT PEOPLE TO RESPOND WITH FACTS ? 

Hi, I just wondered if anyone has ever thought of the safety concerns?  900 apartments, with many low or marginal, income, there will be over 1,000  residents living in a small space will bring drug use and crime. Add 200 hotel rooms, at least 150  residents and you increase crime potential. Add a bar and you are asking for even more crime.. Add soccer stadium and you add 10,000's more to a small area. Add beer sales at stadium and you get more risk of drunk driving . Add 10,000 cars trying to get to stadium and you get traffic nightmare. Add 7,000 cars ( Only planned parking for 7,000 cars. ) trying to leave fairgrounds with several traffic lights,  trains and local traffic and it will take many hours just to leave fairgrounds. Then think about young guys watching the girls playing soccer in the new soccer fields. What do you think will happen after they have had a few beers ? You will get harassment, intimidation or worse. What will the average fairground visitor think about safety when they hear of countless police visits to fairgrounds?  Would you take your children to fairground activity seeing 100's of people wandering around ?  Maybe people should think of fairground as a place to take their family and not as a CASH COW FOR THE RICH   

Why don't you do yourself a favor and lock yourself in a doomsday bunker?  Sorry, Randi... I know, you live your life in constant terror completely formulated in your own head, but unfortunately for you, you are in the minority on that.  You're so concerned about drunk people, but here you are incoherently ranting and raving to total strangers about boogeymen you literally just made up.   Go home Randi... you're drunk.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulChinetti said:

I guess possibly, depending on how big it is, what's the structure. Something very similar to the Titans bubble and outdoor practice field. 

They could just share the Titans' bubble.  Football on one end...and Futball on the other.   What could go wrong? :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

That guy in front of Jim Shulman has to be the child Dan Marino and David Hasselhoff.

Interesting that they are considering using the actual track for parking. I have been on that track for bicycle races and with the banking being so bad on the corners you really would only have the side by the finish line. I wouldn't think that would provide enough additional capacity to justify the risk of having vehicles on the track, not to mention how narrow the entrance to the track is.  

I haven't been paying much attention at all to the behind the scenes, so lots of the video sounds like a foreign language to me. But is that Mendes guy anti-MLS? He just rubbed me the wrong way from the start. 

40 minutes ago, titanhog said:

They could just share the Titans' bubble.  Football on one end...and Futball on the other.   What could go wrong? :rolleyes:

FIFA stands for Fédération Internationale de Football Association.   The entire English-speaking world outside of North America calls it football.  Actually, the only language where soccer is called futball is Hungarian.  I do have a colleague from Hungary but I don't think there's much of a Hungarian community in Nashville.  Sorry for being a jerk.

https://www.indifferentlanguages.com/words/soccer

Seems like you could fit quite a few cars on the infield, even without the track. I would think it would come with some capital improvements to the infield. But who knows, the Fairgrounds is good as it is, right? So they probably wouldn’t want any money for the track. 

BAB8576A-4BB6-4929-94C1-F6CEF401957C.jpeg

• Like 1

Yeah you can fit a good amount in the infield, They had just mentioned putting some on the track itself in the video, which seemed weird. On the cycling nights we easily have 150 vehicles inside and that is without touching the section at the top of the pic. 

15 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Seems like you could fit quite a few cars on the infield, even without the track. I would think it would come with some capital improvements to the infield. But who knows, the Fairgrounds is good as it is, right? So they probably wouldn’t want any money for the track. 

Maybe the additional ~$35MM in revenue coming to the Fairgrounds over the next 30 years via Nashville Soccer Holdings' rent and 50% of RET from private acre developments could go towards these improvements. 

Edited by nashvylle

Training facilities used by pro soccer teams aren't necessarily closed, stand-alone facilities. They tend to include several fields and host academy teams (as well, at times, as tournaments or other events), so there does need to be some level of access to the facility, and site selection is dependent on the market, especially youth participation. Think like Ford Ice Center as well as the new Predators rink in Bellevue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

FIFA stands for Fédération Internationale de Football Association.   The entire English-speaking world outside of North America calls it football.  Actually, the only language where soccer is called futball is Hungarian.  I do have a colleague from Hungary but I don't think there's much of a Hungarian community in Nashville.  Sorry for being a jerk.

https://www.indifferentlanguages.com/words/soccer

Ummm...the only reason I called it "Futball" was to distinguish it from American football.  Not meant as a slight to all of the world's "football" fans or FIFA supporters.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

Population density doesn’t necessarily increase crime. The presence of bars doesn’t necessarily increase crime, besides the occasional public intox or DUI. Hotels don’t necessarily increase crime, besides the occasional noise violation. I just don’t buy the “increases crime” reason behind opposition to fairgrounds development. A certain amount of these apartments being listed as “workforce housing” or “income-adjusted” doesn’t mean that they’re building projects. 

The whole “outraged” schtick is tiring, by the way. Cities change, it’s just the way it’s always been. If something doesn’t have historic value, change is basically inevitable. 

Well said.  Me thinks Randi got his 'population density increases crime' idea not from actual crime statistics, but from watching too many big city crime dramas on TV.   If there were actually a correlation between population density and increased crime then Nashville wouldn't be 15th in the country in violent crime rate well above places like New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, and yes... Chicago.  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1