Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

4 hours ago, FromParkAveToTN said:

Do people still go to flea markets these days? Why not just order from Amazon and save yourself some time? With online shopping, it seems logical to get rid of it altogether and utilize that land for higher tax revenue businesses and venues. 

Guess we can just get rid of Barney's and Saks too, then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Three-fourths of the Metro Council signed and submitted a letter Tuesday seeking a "strong, inclusive, equitable" community benefits agreement for Nashville's proposed Major League Soccer stadium at the city's fairgrounds.

It's an indication that the agreement is likely to be a major factor on whether Nashville's MLS stadium is approved in the coming weeks.

Organizers of the union-aligned Stand Up Nashville, which for weeks has been negotiating the agreement with Nashville's MLS ownership group led by John Ingram, held a news conference ahead of Tuesday's council meeting to rally support for the benefits agreement.

The letter, signed by 30 council members, was sent to the Ingram-led ownership group. 

Supporters want the agreement to ensure things like affordable housing on a future mixed-use development next to the stadium and living wages for stadium workers — but a deal still isn't in place. 

Also: The council voted unanimously early Wednesday morning, without discussion, to procedurally advance three separate ordinances related to the stadium project. One would rezone 10 acres of fairgrounds property for a mixed-use development next to the stadium. Another would demolish existing buildings on the site. A third would approve a ground lease for the team's private development.  

Each will come up for a second of three votes on Aug. 21, marking the true test for the project. 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/08/08/nashville-council-majority-seeks-community-benefits-agreement-mls-stadium/923946002/
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Three-fourths of the Metro Council signed and submitted a letter Tuesday seeking a "strong, inclusive, equitable" community benefits agreement for Nashville's proposed Major League Soccer stadium at the city's fairgrounds.

It's an indication that the agreement is likely to be a major factor on whether Nashville's MLS stadium is approved in the coming weeks.

Organizers of the union-aligned Stand Up Nashville, which for weeks has been negotiating the agreement with Nashville's MLS ownership group led by John Ingram, held a news conference ahead of Tuesday's council meeting to rally support for the benefits agreement.

The letter, signed by 30 council members, was sent to the Ingram-led ownership group. 

Supporters want the agreement to ensure things like affordable housing on a future mixed-use development next to the stadium and living wages for stadium workers — but a deal still isn't in place. 

Also: The council voted unanimously early Wednesday morning, without discussion, to procedurally advance three separate ordinances related to the stadium project. One would rezone 10 acres of fairgrounds property for a mixed-use development next to the stadium. Another would demolish existing buildings on the site. A third would approve a ground lease for the team's private development.  

Each will come up for a second of three votes on Aug. 21, marking the true test for the project. 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/08/08/nashville-council-majority-seeks-community-benefits-agreement-mls-stadium/923946002/

Certainly all that sounds nice if negotiations are in good faith. I do wonder about "living wages" for stadium workers and what exactly that means since most of those are very part-time seasonal jobs.

19 minutes ago, DDIG said:

Certainly all that sounds nice if negotiations are in good faith. I do wonder about "living wages" for stadium workers and what exactly that means since most of those are very part-time seasonal jobs.

I know there was a lot of talk about the CBA in the last public hearing, lots of talk about wage theft, just generally crooked contractors treating their workers like crap. Also a lot about hiring local workers. 

23 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I know there was a lot of talk about the CBA in the last public hearing, lots of talk about wage theft, just generally crooked contractors treating their workers like crap. Also a lot about hiring local workers. 

I see. The local workers concept is nice but it is hard in this market currently. Construction and hospitality are at war for workers.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, FromParkAveToTN said:

Do people still go to flea markets these days? Why not just order from Amazon and save yourself some time? With online shopping, it seems logical to get rid of it altogether and utilize that land for higher tax revenue businesses and venues. 

Flea markets would no longer exist if people no longer attended them.  They are popular with enough people that they remain open.  They have the right to associate and trade as they see fit.  Liberty - it's a beautiful thing for all of us.

Personally, I've been to the flea market a couple of times and found some unique items created by local arts and crafts vendors.  These items are not available online anywhere.  Also, some of the vendors take orders to create custom products.  The two times I went, there were a LOT of people there!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

Why is the 2nd vote of three the true test for the project? I thought the third vote would be the one that mattered most. 

21 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Why is the 2nd vote of three the true test for the project? I thought the third vote would be the one that mattered most. 

Sort of traditional as to how Metro Council works. The second vote is always where the war is. Once you vote the second time that's your decision and most people abide by it the rest of the way. The third vote could be looked at as an emergency window if some major condition changed there's still time to change it, but if you pass second then third is virtually always a given. However, Glover is such a nut about this you know he won't stop his shenanigans till the bitter end.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

Flea markets would no longer exist if people no longer attended them.  They are popular with enough people that they remain open.  They have the right to associate and trade as they see fit.  Liberty - it's a beautiful thing for all of us.

Personally, I've been to the flea market a couple of times and found some unique items created by local arts and crafts vendors.  These items are not available online anywhere.  Also, some of the vendors take orders to create custom products.  The two times I went, there were a LOT of people there! 

But isn't this flea market propped up by the government?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, e-dub said:

Can you really find those there, @TheRaglander?!

Yeah.  When my son was really young we went there and got some action figures pretty cheap.  They all broke.  All were just different enough from the actual toy.  Superman was "Power Man", etc. 
It's worth going to check out all the knock-offs.

1 hour ago, TheRaglander said:

Yes.  They are the only places you can get these exclusive "Sense of Right Alliance" toys.  These must have been the Infinity War version because half of them fell apart before I got home.

sense-of-right-alliance-590x443.jpg

Sense of Right Alliance is so good. I laughed out loud. I now believe knock off product marketer has to be best job in America.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nashvillwill said:

I support the proposal. I do not understand irrational fear, “fake news” and flat out lying. But I can also respect that there is some good use coming out of the flea market.

Exactly, I don't want anything that's there to go away, it all has it's place and it's all great in it's own right. 

The fear mongering is the worst part. 

When I talked to Smiley the other day I asked him why that's the way they were going, complaining about Megan Barry and the deal like it was some backroom shadiness. He didn't answer me but it's the oldest trick in the book, it's easy to be against something and rally people with fear. 

• Like 3