Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

On 8/2/2018 at 11:16 PM, PaulChinetti said:

This is floating around out there. Can’t verify if it’s true. Have only seen it in one location. 

A27F9727-B034-4D27-92E7-DF572C377517.jpeg

If a group like SMI is genuinely interested in working with the speedway the city would be crazy not to at least consider it. While this would not garner the attention of the top two series in Nascar, it would not be out of this world to consider the modifieds, home tracks or even the truck series (think Eldora, but without the dirt). As stated there would need to be obvious improvements to the infrastructure around the track and the facilities, but look at what Tony Stewart did with Eldora. SMI is a money machine and it may be a good investment to try and replicate what Tony did there. 

If it is true that SMI would what the city to pick up the tab for many of the improvements, the city is smart to walk away. But after seeing what SMI did to New Hampshire Motor Speedway when they bought that from the Bahre family (granted at the time NHMS had 2 top level events, now down to one), it has been an impressive transformation.

The biggest concern again becomes the parking. I still believe when they build the new fairground buildings it should include AT LEAST four or five levels of underground parking under the entirety of the new expo buildings. I have no idea what that would equate to in terms of spots, but it would help tremendously (granted getting them out of there would be a fun engineering nightmare lol). 

https://www.nashville.gov/Metro-Clerk/Legislative/Resolutions/Details/2f6c8a64-93c7-44e1-a50d-bfdfe2e21166/2015-2019/RS2018-1356.aspx

Council person Glover at it again. This is in committee tonight. All his other resolutions have died there, so hopefully this one will too.

Meeting tonight for anyone who wants to attend. 6:30pm at the Metro Courthouse. 

[email protected] if your interested in emailing you support. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nashwatcher said:

You might want to write the soccer group as well if you have their info. They need to be made aware that people are lying to citizens to get them to show up in red shirts. Dishonest about what's actually happening.

They know, they have mobilized quite well for the past couple of meetings.

• Like 2

1.6 million people!!!! The horror!!!!!  Imagine the debauchery!!!  This is an outrage!  Think of the children, people, I beg you!

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

They know, they have mobilized quite well for the past couple of meetings.

Yeah, I have seen post on FB from the Roadies and the Nashville MLS group for support.

Edited by timmay143
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, timmay143 said:

1.6 million people!!!! The horror!!!!!  Imagine the debauchery!!!  This is an outrage!  Think of the children, people, I beg you!

Yeah, I have seen post on FB from the Roadies and the Nashville MLS group for support.

And they've been hitting up the local soccer clubs too.  I get emails through TSC (Tennessee Soccer Club) a lot with the updates.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Glover's bill not approved (4 votes in favor of Glover's bill to 5 against it). 

Small victory. 

5 to 4 sounds too close for comfort. Man, Glover has treated killing MLS like its a full time job the last six months. Uncomfortably obsessed.

Edited by DDIG
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

The soccer supporters appear to largely outnumber the anti mls from looking on TV. 

Can anyone confirm? 

Out in the hallways it’s all red shirts. 

I just spoke with Shane Smiley for 10 minutes. I can break his argument down to two points. And he represents  the Flea Market vendors so it’s his job. 

1. We aren’t going to have enough parking. 
2. We think it’s going to destroy the flea market.