Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

^^If NASCAR keeps taking a dip (a little at a time)...is there any chance of ever getting a big race back here and turning that track into something more akin to Bristol?  I mean...you want to talk about a traffic nightmare...and it would take a huge upgrade to the facilities...but from what I understand, Nashville's track was one of the most renowned at one time.

6 hours ago, titanhog said:

^^If NASCAR keeps taking a dip (a little at a time)...is there any chance of ever getting a big race back here and turning that track into something more akin to Bristol?  I mean...you want to talk about a traffic nightmare...and it would take a huge upgrade to the facilities...but from what I understand, Nashville's track was one of the most renowned at one time.

from what I’ve been reading, a lot of nascar fans don’t like the large tracks and prefer the smaller tracks like Nashville speedway. The only comparison I could think of (and probably not a good comparison) is baseball fans preferring smaller historic fields like Fenway as opposed to huge new stadiums that are too big. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

This is floating around out there. Can’t verify if it’s true. Have only seen it in one location. 

A27F9727-B034-4D27-92E7-DF572C377517.jpeg

Shane smiley started a petition from one of his Facebook pages that has garnered over 1,000 signatures. All of the comments appear to think the racetrack is being replaced with soccer. Shane will use scare tactics to get signatures. 

• Sad 3

55 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Shane smiley started a petition from one of his Facebook pages that has garnered over 1,000 signatures. All of the comments appear to think the racetrack is being replaced with soccer. Shane will use scare tactics to get signatures. 

Are council members aware that such tactics are being used to get signatures? If so they should be.

5 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

SMI can pound sand unless they're willing to give up a three-race weekend at one of their existing tracks.

who is SMI?

@PaulChinetti Thanks for the list! I have been following some council members and the below I think need to be contacted directly. Please forward to your friends and family:

Emphasize that Nashville Soccer Holdings is now paying rent for the 10 acres and will generate nearly $2.4MM in NEW real estate tax money per year, half of which goes to the Fairgrounds and the other 50% goes to Metro General Fund

Bob Mendes [email protected]
Tanaka Vercher 
tanaka.vercher@nashville.gov
Scott Davis [email protected]
Sharon Hurt [email protected]
John Hall [email protected]
Erica Gilmore [email protected]
DeCosta Hastings [email protected]
Brenda Haywood [email protected]
Robert Swope  [email protected]
Mike Freeman [email protected]
Feddie O'Connell freddie.o'[email protected]
Mary Carolyn Roberts [email protected]
Ed Kindall [email protected]
Angie Henderson [email protected]

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

This is floating around out there. Can’t verify if it’s true. Have only seen it in one location. 

A27F9727-B034-4D27-92E7-DF572C377517.jpeg

When they were taking proposals to manage the track Speedway Motorsports put in a proposal and pledged to pour money into the track and bring NASCAR back. I don't think the Barry admin had any interest in doing that and they re-selected the mom and pop status quo dude who has been running it.

See: https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2017/08/30/bristol-motor-speedway-owner-makes-play-run-nashville-fairgrounds-racetrack/617621001/

Edited by DDIG
  • Like 2

@PaulChinetti Thank you for all your hard work.  You and  everyone else on this board have worked meticulously to keep this alive. I'm a college student and Williamson Co. resident  who has been itching for this to happen. Since I'm outside Davidson there is little I can do, so thank you for speaking for all of us. A lot of my fellow students both inside and outside of Davidson Co. are very excited to see this happen. Sure, it's not one of the "Big 4" franchises, but witnessing a major professional sports league establish an expansion team in your hometown is awesome. We were babies when Nashville got the Titans and the Predators, so something like this is not in our memories.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @nativetenn I'm the same, I vaguely remember the Titans and Preds coming but don't remember any of the inner workings and such. 

It still can't hurt to email ya know, the more support the council hears the better.. Having people from all over the metro area express their support is great. We always talk big about the surrounding contributing to Davidson counties traffic but without the surrounding counties the Titans and Preds wouldn't be filling their stadiums/arenas.

I have a buddy that lives in Atlanta and he said it's almost a SEC football game atmosphere down there for the Atlanta United games. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nativetenn said:

@PaulChinetti Thank you for all your hard work.  You and  everyone else on this board have worked meticulously to keep this alive. I'm a college student and Williamson Co. resident  who has been itching for this to happen. Since I'm outside Davidson there is little I can do, so thank you for speaking for all of us. A lot of my fellow students both inside and outside of Davidson Co. are very excited to see this happen. Sure, it's not one of the "Big 4" franchises, but witnessing a major professional sports league establish an expansion team in your hometown is awesome. We were babies when Nashville got the Titans and the Predators, so something like this is not in our memories.

@nativetennplease email all the council members individually. There is no need to tell them you don't live in Davidson County. I promise you the anti MLS people don't all live in Davidson County but are still emailing CMs.

Tell your friends in Williamson County to also email council members. 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FWIW Marcus Smith at Speedway Motorsports was the somewhat controversial leader of the failed Charlotte MLS bid.  He has been replaced by David  Tepper (new Panthers owner) as the most likely owner of any future MLS team in the Carolinas.  He is clearly a big soccer fan but it seems like this letter was more from the racing side.  

47 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

I think that Speedway Motorsports wanted Metro to be responsible for all capital improvements, which metro did not want to do. 

Ah that's possible. I thought they pledged to put the money in for improvements but may be remembering. 

Colby Sledge

12:57 PM (17 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to bcc: me

Hi all,

First, I want to give a major, major thank-you to everyone who wrote in and showed up for the Planning Commission meeting. Both pieces of legislation received 6-0 votes, meaning Fairgrounds improvements have now gone through five Metro boards and commissions with unanimous votes. That's pretty amazing, and it's because you're making your voices heard. I saw multiple comments afterward from people online saying that neighbor support made the difference.

So now, we're on to the final round: Metro Council. You're going to be seeing a lot more from me in the next few weeks about legislation, but I want to put two dates on your calendar right now:

1) Monday, Aug. 13 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., the Nashville Soccer Holdings (MLS) team will be hosting a rally at Diskin Cider (1235 Martin St.) to get people excited about critical upcoming votes. (This is a special event, since the cidery's usually closed for production on Mondays, so you get the chance to join neighbors and drink cider three days earlier than usual.)
2) Monday, Aug. 27 at 6 p.m. at the Courthouse (1 Public Square). This is the Public Hearing for all things stadium/fairgrounds-related, and the building needs to be packed.

You'll be seeing more about these dates, but you're among the first to know about the rally. Feel free to invite friends, of course!

Again, thanks for all you're doing for our neighborhoods. I hope you have an awesome weekend.
  • Like 1

I actually think if SMI could get involved on the racing side, you'd suddenly see that whole soccer / racing situation be even better.  If they could give the track a little of help from the Bristol side, that can't be a bad thing.  Plus...they could probably get much bigger races there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Thanks @nativetenn I'm the same, I vaguely remember the Titans and Preds coming but don't remember any of the inner workings and such. 

It still can't hurt to email ya know, the more support the council hears the better.. Having people from all over the metro area express their support is great. We always talk big about the surrounding contributing to Davidson counties traffic but without the surrounding counties the Titans and Preds wouldn't be filling their stadiums/arenas.

I have a buddy that lives in Atlanta and he said it's almost a SEC football game atmosphere down there for the Atlanta United games. 

Just tell the council that you are looking foward to spending your Williamson county money in Davidson county.

On a separate issue,  it's funny hearing someone who is a flee market proponent saying they are scared of the people that MLS is going to attract. 

Edited by japan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Only watched pieces and parts. But sounds pretty good lots of questions. The council person from East Nashville asked about noise. He said because even across the river from Ascend, my residents have strong opinions about the noise. HA!

If you mean Brett Withers, he posts here as @bwithers1.