Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I'll make this point based on experience and nothing I know as FACT! 

Metropolitan Nashville-Davidson County has appeared to be notoriously derelict in their statistical tracking of permits and other records that would help the entities responsible for addressing growth. To wit: USCB data on NDC over the past 4 decades is never up-to-date. And more specifically, when one looks for data online for housing permits (by project or unit), one has never found any data that reflects recent development.  The net result is there is an undercount (you see this from decade to decade), especially w.r.t. Davidson County.  Speaking on experience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

There was a person on reddit yesterday asking where they could find a house that was around $800 a month in rent and I don't think that's going to happen anywhere in the city without multiple roommates.

Exactly. I have a young friend renting a room in South Nashville for $1,000 per month!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

There was a person on reddit yesterday asking where they could find a house that was around $800 a month in rent and I don't think that's going to happen anywhere in the city without multiple roommates. The missing middle housing is going to hinder Nashville propers growth and increase the growth even farther out, which will lead to a whole host of other problems. 

I don't know if they will find that within 50 miles of Nashville and if they did it will be a dump!

• Like 4

On 6/17/2023 at 8:33 PM, Nathan_in_DC said:

Nashville's sales and rental market has been completely wrecked by the large private investment and real estate firms buying up massive amounts of stock, setting rental prices higher than they should be, and then trying to flip them for a quick profit. Honestly, I don't see how there hasn't been any investigations into price fixing, though our current set of laws doesn't really prevent most of this sort of activity. A few months back the New York Times ran an article on how the influence of private equity and aggressive algorithm-driven automatic real estate purchasing was wreaking havoc on the market in the country and used a neighborhood in La Vergne as a case study (pretty sure I posted it in this thread somewhere). They showed how homes that just a few years back were considered starter homes, going for $200k-300k, had been scooped up by rental management companies. Entire neighborhoods of housing stock were removed from the sales market and, because of the size of the companies involved, they didn't mind if the houses were sitting empty without renters because the rent was too high, they were planning on flipping them in a few years anyway.

The problem is made worse by the fact that it seems like there are only two types of development in town right now: high rise apartments or condos and sprawling sub-divisions. There aren't a lot of $300-400k townhouses, rowhouses, or duplexes being built that would appeal to younger first-time buyers who want a smaller house in a walkable neighborhood. God forbid you want to be a one-car family within walking distance to a grocery store and entertainment!

My gut reaction was "there's no way that big companies can buy enough houses to change the market that much", then found this link, where the Rutherford County property assessor said in 2021 that nearly 10% of homes in that county were investor owned.

Even though investor purchases are down, both in absolute terms, and in % of total home purchases, investors still represent 15% of Nashville area home purchases.

I don't know everything, but seems like a good way to counter investors banking on price growth is to build so many new homes in Nashville that the home price growth in our city slows to be less than the national average. That means less growth in value for current homeowners like myself, but it means that our city doesn't become insanely priced for normal people looking to buy, like Boise or the DC area or the west coast.

• Like 3

On 6/19/2023 at 9:20 AM, andywildman said:

I don't know everything, but seems like a good way to counter investors banking on price growth is to build so many new homes in Nashville that the home price growth in our city slows to be less than the national average. That means less growth in value for current homeowners like myself, but it means that our city doesn't become insanely priced for normal people looking to buy, like Boise or the DC area or the west coast.

I think the problem we have now is defining normal. If a person is already in a home that they bought 'x' years ago and have built up sufficient equity to cover down payment on a new home then I guess that's fine in the current market. Where I'm concerned is for the younger generation, maybe those currently in college or recently graduated within the last 5-10 years who have not yet bought a home. How do they even get into this market? Even if you move outside of the city limits the price of a starter home can be severely limiting for most normal folks in this age range.

I'm not sure how to fix it but am certainly glad it doesn't impact us directly. We were fortunate to build our house in 2012 basically at the end of the bust and at the very beginning of the boom. Our younger family members are not so lucky. Currently renting apartments and I just don't see how they ever scrape up enough cash for a down payment in the current market. Save the cash and hope for a bust might be their only way in at this point.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, glamdring269 said:

I think the problem we have now is defining normal. If a person is already in a home that they bought 'x' years ago and have built up sufficient equity to cover down payment on a new home then I guess that's fine in the current market. Where I'm concerned is for the younger generation, maybe those currently in college or recently graduated within the last 5-10 years who have not yet bought a home. How do they even get into this market? Even if you move outside of the city limits the price of a starter home can be severely limiting for most normal folks in this age range.

I'm not sure how to fix it but am certainly glad it doesn't impact us directly. We were fortunate to build our house in 2012 basically at the end of the bust and at the very beginning of the boom. Our younger family members are not so lucky. Currently renting apartments and I just don't see how they ever scrape up enough cash for a down payment in the current market. Save the cash and hope for a bust might be their only way in at this point.

I agree completely, I didn't buy my first house until I was in my 40's because I lived in Seattle where the prices had become unaffordable.  I was able to transfer to Denver when I bought my first fixer upper house.  I bought and sold homes five more times and because of dumb luck I just happened to be in the right place at the right time and did very well.  Unfortunately I don't see any other alternative if you can't afford a home where you live other than moving to someplace cheaper.  That would be much more difficult if you have a family so it really puts millions of young people in a tough situation but I don't see any other options.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

Although the discussion has been had repeatedly, there should be a stop to allowing so many STRs to be built. 1000s of what could be ownable condos (and homes) are instead allowed to be STRs. Can rules not be put in place that no more than say 30% of any development can be STRs? And stop renewing the STR permits, or issuing new ones, for a time period, not forever. 

It seems like almost all of the new downtown developments are rentals as opposed to condos.  I don't have the expertise on this subject like so many of you guys do but I guess there must be a lot more money to make if you're building rentals.  Is there anything that could be done to make the condo market more desirable to developers?

I can't speak to the practicality of my suggestions to get more condos built but what about - Better loans to developers of condos over rentals. If a property is zoned for 200 living units, tell the developer you can have 200 rentals or we'll up it to 250 units for condos. In the building permit process, fast track condo permits while slow walking rental permits. Rental building permits would require a 90+ day "review process".  You could offer to change zoning to residential of a commercial piece of land only if condos are built (no change for rentals). I'm not against people making money, but if we want more owner occupied housing somethings have to change. 

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 3

It simply gets down to money. If we want faster permitting and faster inspections, then we make the city hire more folks. But it costs, and when budgets are tight - do we not hire police or teachers and hire plans reviewers instead? I've encountered a few cities that hire third party folks for reviews, during busy times, and avoid the costs of full time employees. 

• Like 1

It simply gets down to money. If we want faster permitting and faster inspections, then we make the city hire more folks. But it costs, and when budgets are tight - do we not hire police or teachers and hire plans reviewers instead? I've encountered a few cities that hire third party folks for reviews, during busy times, and avoid the costs of full time employees. 

I would make the argument that diverting 2% of the funds earmarked for the Barnes Affordable Housing Fund toward speeding the construction of more housing would do more for overall housing affordability than the Barnes Fund does itself. The Barnes fund does a great job of producing 350-400 affordable housing units every year, but 99% of Nashville's residents won't every reap those benefits.  We need a solution for housing affordability that touches every corner of the metro area, and the best way to do that is to do everything we can to promote the delivery of additional units.   Obviously, fixing our Codes Department doesn't solve the problem, but it helps. We need to also address the issue through zoning and other avenues as well. 

Housing affordability helps (or hinders) the hiring of those other key employees as well. In my opinion, it's one of those areas that we can spend a little to save a lot. 

Edited by Hey_Hey
  • Like 3

These positions already have money set aside to hire more, but if there is no affordable housing then they will continue to go unfilled.