Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I heard the Taylor Swift Sunday show got significantly delayed due to rain. Didn’t start until 10pm or so and still did her entire set.

This made me wonder if there isn’t a noise ordinance restriction that applies to the stadium. I know (or thought I knew) that Ascend has to stop by a certain time. I was actually at a music festival in Atlanta over the weekend and they turned the sound off their Fri night headliner right at 11pm.

Not a big deal just curious and I’m glad that those who have been pumped for that show got to see it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, glamdring269 said:

This made me wonder if there isn’t a noise ordinance restriction that applies to the stadium.

From what I've read, noise curfews don't apply to Nissan Stadium? The concert ended at 1:35 AM. Ascend has an 11 PM end time, but I think that only applies to Ascend specifically. Correct me if I'm wrong!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, glamdring269 said:

I heard the Taylor Swift Sunday show got significantly delayed due to rain. Didn’t start until 10pm or so and still did her entire set.

This made me wonder if there isn’t a noise ordinance restriction that applies to the stadium. I know (or thought I knew) that Ascend has to stop by a certain time. I was actually at a music festival in Atlanta over the weekend and they turned the sound off their Fri night headliner right at 11pm.

Not a big deal just curious and I’m glad that those who have been pumped for that show got to see it.

Doubt it. Nashville doesn't turn into a ghost town at night like Atlanta.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Argo said:

Doubt it. Nashville doesn't turn into a ghost town at night like Atlanta.

Certainly different but we also know that Ascend has to shutdown by a certain time. I was just basically trying to understand the difference in why Ascend has to shut off but Nissan Stadium does not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, natethegreat said:

Gotta respect her for playing until 2am. My friends who were there appreciated it.

Definitely, I was afraid they might have to cancel it.  My next door neighbors had a few teenage girls who are relatives stay at their place so they could see the show and they were super excited about it.  They'll probably remember this the way that I remember seeing Jimi Hendrix when I was young, it was a very big deal for them!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I will bet the price for the Hendrix concert was only about 5 bucks though.

Yes it was!  And I remember seeing an all day concert in Seattle during that era that had Led Zeppelin, The Doors, and a bunch of other top bands for about ten bucks!   Edit:  I just looked up the price for the tickets, it was $15 for all three days and $6 for one day.  I was just there for the last day so it was $6.  I couldn't find the price for the Hendrix concert but I'd say five bucks top!

Edited by MontanaGuy
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

TN inVB where do you get these models of buildings? They are cool, and I would love to get some . Thanks for sharing. 

Luvemtall I get them from Etsy and other sites online. The Batman building was purchased on Etsy from a shop out of Philadelphia  called StarsoftheCity. The CN Tower was from a shop on Etsy called 7WondersStore which is out of Manitoba, CA. They offer a variety of high quality 3D printed architectural models. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

NBJ panel discussion of ways to solve Nashville's affordable. housing issues:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2023/05/09/growth-panel-affordable.html

Overall an interesting article but a I did takeaway two tidbits that I think hurts the panel

• Arnold Homes talking about affordable housing and government giving away land for affordable housing when their website shows million dollar single family homes. No offense (or maybe a little), but if you are in the game of building low density, million dollar homes I don't think you have a good sense of what affordable housing is.
  • Someone referenced the "Live Local Act" in Florida and I had to go look it up because I remember reading it felt like a bait and switch kinda. Basically the Live Local Act pumps 100's of millions of dollars into affordable housing funds, BUT pulls most of the local government's authority over such developments out from under them. 
    • Prohibits local governments from imposing rent controls
    • Pre-empts local government rules on zoning, density and building heights in some cases
    • Requires local governments to OK multifamily and mixed-use residential developments in any area zoned for commercial, industrial, or mixed-use as long as at least 40% of the rental units will be affordable for at least 30 years; for mixed-use projects, at least 65% of the total square footage will have to be used for residential purposes
    • Prohibits local governments from requiring developers of proposed multifamily developments from obtaining a zoning or land use change, special exception, conditional use approval, variance, or comprehensive plan amendment for the building height, zoning, and density.
    • Prohibits local governments from restricting the height of a new development below the highest limit allowed for a commercial or residential building located within one mile of the new structure.

While I get we need to build housing, State governments have very little understanding of what local jurisdictions need. Zoning laws (I know some here will say they all need to be thrown out) are more thoughtful today and getting a zoning change is not really that hard. While the process could and should be improved, it is not THAT bad. By not requiring a zoning change as the second to last bullet point states, that means no public meetings are required which means community members can no longer stay informed.  

If the State wanted to implement a law that would improve affordability I would look to the 40B law in MA (personal experience). The 40B law sets a threshold for how much affordable housing is in your community, if you are below that threshold then the Live Local Act parameters for developers kick in. This gives the authority to the local jurisdiction to get affordable housing built. Granted you need a state willing to play ball with on getting that kind of housing built. If you outlaw jurisdictions from incentivizing affordable housing - like our state government has done - then this is mute because enacting a 40B style law while also outlawing inclusionary zoning is contradictory to one another.

• Like 3

Bos2Nash, I find myself to have similar feelings and views on many topics as you do. I was wondering could it be possible, it’s because apparently you spent time in the Northeast? I was born and raised in Connecticut, and still have family there that I visit often. It’s just different there, not to say anything negative or bad about living here In Tennessee, been here 17 years now. Just that some things that were just common experience or thinking, seem to be hard to explain or convey to people here. Like Mass transit, housing, etc. not sure but just thought I would say. Thanks again for all your information and insight on many subjects . 

• Like 2

On 5/8/2023 at 11:47 AM, glamdring269 said:

Certainly different but we also know that Ascend has to shutdown by a certain time. I was just basically trying to understand the difference in why Ascend has to shut off but Nissan Stadium does not.

I think I remember reading, it was part of the deal to put Ascend there that they have to turn it off by 11pm because you have condos and hotels so close.  Nissan, while you can hear it, is much further away from most residences and can be tuned out with a fan or somthing like chc3 said.  La Quinta might say different, but they came after the stadium.  The hotels and condo's were there before Ascend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

Yeah you know how you get more affordable housing. You keep building dense multi -family housing everywhere. Stop kowtowing to neighborhoods especially in the inner two loops that have SFH zoning. You are that close to downtown, density is the name of the game. 

I’m looking at you, Germantown, Hillsboro Village, Wedgwood to an extent. 

100%. While I think we still need to be aware of existing built environment, building density is key. Not to say that everything should be protected, but some neighborhoods within the loop (or just outside) have a certain character that if wiped away would be a detriment to the city. I'm thinking about Germantown and Edgefield specifically, but if we really densify along the edges of those neighborhoods (I always reference Kevin Lynch's "The Image of the City" when I look at a planning idea), the edges can begin to make up for the lack of density while maintaining the character of it. 

1 hour ago, Luvemtall said:

Bos2Nash, I find myself to have similar feelings and views on many topics as you do. I was wondering could it be possible, it’s because apparently you spent time in the Northeast? I was born and raised in Connecticut, and still have family there that I visit often. It’s just different there, not to say anything negative or bad about living here In Tennessee, been here 17 years now. Just that some things that were just common experience or thinking, seem to be hard to explain or convey to people here. Like Mass transit, housing, etc. not sure but just thought I would say. Thanks again for all your information and insight on many subjects . 

Wearing the "Damn Yankee" label with some pride haha. I'm originally from central MA and spent the last 10 years of living up there in Boston and Providence. I agree though, there is just a different thought process up in the Northeast. It is a very dense part of the nation that had to figure some of these things out versus the bigger, less populated states that have more space to play with. Happy to be a resource.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

How do we feel about vacancy taxes? For land and for buildings. 

I guess that starts getting into the land value tax area. 

Yes and no. I think there is a fine line when levying taxes like this. I think if a space (commercial or housing) is sitting empty and has been for either a) less than X amount of days a year or b) consecutive years this could provide a bit of incentive to owners. Vancouver implemented and "Empty House Tax" that will go up to 5% this year, but even the city themselves says can only correlate to the 36% decrease in vacancies and not prove that it is a direct result. 

On the other side of the arguement there is the chance that maybe renting a space is harder than it seems. There is the corner slot in the Eastside Heights building and supposedly that rent is so high, nothing can last in there. Recently a "super food" cafe tried to go in there and was out of business within a couple months. I think that slot fails 1) because the rent is so high to make it pencil and 2) that street corner is awful and getting any form of traffic in the space is difficult. 

I'm not totally against the idea of vacancy taxes, but it would need to be based on appraised value and not a subjective number of potential value or revenue.

For folks that are interested, here are a couple links I was reading to help understand Vacancy Taxes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Maybe I'm not thinking it through, but would the TN legislature "allow" a vacancy tax to be implemented? I also question any push by the city government to place dense public housing into any neighborhood that would object to it (and most would). We can't get the needed buy in from the state on even the rudimentary mass transit plans that we need. The state tends to push back on anything that they can be deemed to help the financially challenged.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1