Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

4 minutes ago, samsonh said:

These are incredibly incorrect numbers.  Please see this tweet for correct numbers. 

Always be careful when a data source is a doomer account selling something. 

On the other hand, Jamie Lane works for a consultancy firm for people investing in vacation rentals, and pulls his data from that firm. Neither are exactly what I'd call objective third-party assessments, though I'm inclined to believe that STRs are in more trouble than his firm would like their customers to believe.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, samsonh said:

And he shows numbers down slightly, which makes sense. It makes zero sense for Nashville's numbers to be down 39% when airport passengers are at an all time high and the economy is incredibly good. Does not pass the sniff test. 

Not only that, but the "collapse" data doesn't make sense within the context of ABNB corporate revenue growth in the NA region and forward earnings guidance. -45% revenue collapses in major U.S. markets would be akin to another pandemic-level catastrophe for them. Based on ABNB's own reporting, a slight drop in per-listing revenue makes sense, with new listing growth slightly outpacing revenue growth in the U.S. 

Edited by SoundScan
  • Like 3

In Europe, Airbnb is a much better deal. I’ve stayed in major cities like Lisbon for $100 per night, all in. I never check bags so I need a washer when I’m gone for weeks. In the USA, I agree they’re often a ripoff.

68566283391__CE8F0DF4-938B-42DC-B3D7-1521EA0DFE13.jpeg

68566278403__631E1750-9E9C-4165-ADFA-6805758E53C3.jpeg

• Like 3

For those mentioning that AirBnB still seems to be growing, that could be the case and still have RevPAL drop. If available units free by 25% but demand only grew 10% the. RevPAL would drop.

This could also be a platform specific problem. We have converted back to hotels for most of our stays unless we’re going to the beach. What I’ve found is that it is much cheaper to find the property on Airbnb and then rent it on the management company website. They avoid AirBNB fees that way and pass that along. The fees getting tacked into AirBNB and VRBO are crazy. The cleaning fee is especially painful. 

my suspicion is that there’s a correction coming and those people who thought they would make a killing are going to be under water since they paid so much for the unit in the first place. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Hey_Hey said:

For those mentioning that AirBnB still seems to be growing, that could be the case and still have RevPAL drop. If available units free by 25% but demand only grew 10% the. RevPAL would drop.

This could also be a platform specific problem. We have converted back to hotels for most of our stays unless we’re going to the beach. What I’ve found is that it is much cheaper to find the property on Airbnb and then rent it on the management company website. They avoid AirBNB fees that way and pass that along. The fees getting tacked into AirBNB and VRBO are crazy. The cleaning fee is especially painful. 

my suspicion is that there’s a correction coming and those people who thought they would make a killing are going to be under water since they paid so much for the unit in the first place. 

for short stays I agree with you hotels are usually cheaper except in high cost areas (like what I have found in south Florida in the winter) and direct bookings are growing.  These are people who may rent once through airbnb and get to the owner or manager and rent directly through them.  I have people who do that and others who would rather work through a platform like Airbnb. 

for vacation homes and rentals for short term this has always been true:  short term rentals may cash flow but it is unlikely they make money. If you buy a short term rental you better be prepared to pay the costs without any income.  If you can and many can then you are okay.   The costs of keeping them up is too high especially with a fully furnished place.  I know people in my resort who have sold after a year because they had grandiose ideas of making big money.  

But for places like Nashville it is just so much supply causing revenue to drop by rental but your hotel rates are fairly high much higher than Atlanta or Charlotte for example.   Just as there can be an oversupply of hotel rooms there can be too many short term rentals.    Looks like Nashville has 7000 or so permitted short term rentals.

https://wpln.org/post/episodes/checking-in-on-nashvilles-short-term-rental-industry-and-regulations/

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, nashville born said:

I know it isn't as newsworthy as we'd like.  Just sharing because some of us like to see updated views of the skyline and this show uses many of them.

Oh I know. It isn't the skyline views that I dislike, it's more the HGTV shows that I really don't like. The HGTV effect is very real and to me has caused alot of problems within the housing the market/residential professional services world.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

The surprising news on these lists is that Charlotte is not on the largest CMBS Markets but are in the middle of the pack as far as distressed markets go. The same goes for Phily, Columbus, Portland, and no surprise Detroit with a few others thrown in there.

We already had a 23 story 1990s office building uptown go into default.  Why?  the owners then Dillweg bought it at a good price then put even more debt on it and then walked away when one tenant left.  It is like over mortgaging your house then saying you can't make the payments.  They did this in suburban Raleigh office building too.  That tower uptown was about 70% full.  But of course there are some office buildings in worse shape and just depends on how they can refinance.  This is a nationwide problem with buildings selling at high values, cheap debt maturing and now higher interest rates.    This one line explains it from CLT Biz Journal:  "" Dilweg purchased the 23-story, 476,393-square-foot building in 2017 for $79 million, according to previous CBJ reporting. About $120 million is owed on the loan, Dilweg said.""   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2