Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

35 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

Maybe I'm not thinking it through, but would the TN legislature "allow" a vacancy tax to be implemented? I also question any push by the city government to place dense public housing into any neighborhood that would object to it (and most would). We can't get the needed buy in from the state on even the rudimentary mass transit plans that we need. The state tends to push back on anything that they can be deemed to help the financially challenged.

Oh yeah I think there is ZERO chance the state legislature would let that happen.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

Maybe I'm not thinking it through, but would the TN legislature "allow" a vacancy tax to be implemented? I also question any push by the city government to place dense public housing into any neighborhood that would object to it (and most would). We can't get the needed buy in from the state on even the rudimentary mass transit plans that we need. The state tends to push back on anything that they can be deemed to help the financially challenged.

Zero chance, like Paul said. But I also wouldn't put it past our State legislature to pull a stunt like the Florida law that pumps oodles of money into affordable housing with one hand, while giving the middle finger to neighborhood residents and cities like Memphis and Nashville with the other hand.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Zero chance, like Paul said. But I also wouldn't put it past our State legislature to pull a stunt like the Florida law that pumps oodles of money into affordable housing with one hand, while giving the middle finger to neighborhood residents and cities like Memphis and Nashville with the other hand.

I'd bet we're at least a decade away from TN legislature looking at funding affordable housing.

The majority of Tennessee's R legislators represent either mid-income suburbs (who don't want to fund affordable housing) and low cost-of-living rural and micropolitan areas (who don't need their state to fund affordable housing).

• Like 2

for those graduating in 2023 Nashville is in the top 12 best large cities along Raleigh #10 Charlotte being #11 and Nashville #12.   #1 you ask?  Atlanta

Durham and Cary both in the top 10 midsized cities in the same survey and both in the Raleigh Durham area.  

https://www.coworkingcafe.com/blog/the-best-cities-for-the-class-of-23/

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Sorry guys! I didn't mean to throw any flames at the end of a tough day for me. I think my sarcastic post should be explained a bit. First, lists in general are OK if they have meaning to them, and that includes factual/statistical comparative (objective) metrics. My comment was to the plethora of subjective "rankings" by the seemingly endless upstart online "publications" that are merely (obviously to many) marketing their recycled content to what they hope will be new audiences. That particular pub was yet another new one to me (I admit I'm not familiar with most NEW media).  IMHO, these lists have just gotten tediously out-of-hand and seem to be a tentacle of social media coopted by traditional media. A week doesn't pass now when I don't see someone on FB linked a "Chattanooga in a list" or Tennessee or Georgia.  I see this in the revolving usual suspects cities in all of them, with the only difference being the order in which they appear. I don't even like the "readers' votes" compilations some pubs do, but at least they presumably contain some quantitive elements (albeit opinions). Those subjective fluffy clickbait "lists" strike me as filler assigned to some novice writer, and they're usually riddled with cliches and poorly written.  OK... carry on friends. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

The May 5-7 weekend that featured Taylor Swift, Janet Jackson, Oprah Winfrey (TSU Graduation speaker), and more generated $37.34 million in hotel rents. There was 97.3% downtown hotel occupancy that weekend with an average of $570 per room.  Across the larger Nashville region, 94.2% rooms were filled with bookings for an average of $318 per night.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/industries/music/2023/05/23/taylor-swift-janet-jackson-oprah-big-names-draw-big-sales-nashville-bridgestone-ryman-nissan-titans/70228538007/

The bolded is still so insane to me. I thought more inventory would help but prices seem to be going in the opposite direction.

Edited by glamdring269
  • Like 3

On 5/24/2023 at 8:04 AM, markhollin said:

The Metropolitan Historical Commission handed out its 2023 Preservation Awards for proects and developments around town:

Can someone explain what those properties that are "Infill .." what does the infill mean? I love looking at those cute buildings, especially being here in Houston where they are being knocked down as the city goes more vertical. The nicest ones having been in Montrose where the 1905 2 story frame house I lived in for 12 years just bit the dust. Maybe the last 2 story framehouse I can think of in that district.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, dragonfly said:

Can someone explain what those properties that are "Infill .." what does the infill mean? I love looking at those cute buildings, especially being here in Houston where they are being knocked down as the city goes more vertical. The nicest ones having been in Montrose where the 1905 2 story frame house I lived in for 12 years just bit the dust. Maybe the last 2 story framehouse I can think of in that district.

I suppose it just is a reference to structures that are generally less significant overall but do a good job of filling in the urban fabric between larger developments.  But I agree that there is something about the term "infill" that sounds inherently a bit condescending and dismissive.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2