Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

11 hours ago, go_outside said:

Of course, we'll need to carefully vet our suppliers to avoid the massive, premature light failures that have plagued Detroit.

Great point! I replaced just about all the lights in my home with LEDs from what I thought was a reputable brand to save electricity (which they have), and now about 3 years later, maybe a third of them have problems with flickering or not working at all. They're a good idea but absolutely the suppliers need to be thoroughly vetted. I have some good LEDs that have lasted well over a decade.

Also agree on the colors and would add that their brightness needs to be carefully calibrated. I feel like there are so many bright porch LEDs in some residential areas now that it's almost blinding at night (certainly bad for wildlife as well). I liked leaving blinds open a little to be awakened by natural sunlight, but have had to start closing the blinds tightly to block out all the light.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

Can this be because of the “ Great divide “ that is taking place in our country? Whereas all those above mentioned cities trend more towards the right and cities such as Nashville and most Northern and California cities trend towards the left. Causing a shift and migration for those seeking a more comfortable political environment , based on their beliefs. ie: those who believe that places such as California have become to left leaning for them , but still want city life. And places such as Nashville appealing for those that want a warmer climate but don’t wish to live in red rural Tennessee. Just a thought, not a opinion and not singling out any particular group 

For myself it definitely was, and it was a major factor in choosing Nashville as opposed to other cities in the South.  However I do think that I'd put Austin in the same category as Nashville in terms of political leanings, it's very different from Dallas.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

Can this be because of the “ Great divide “ that is taking place in our country? Whereas all those above mentioned cities trend more towards the right and cities such as Nashville and most Northern and California cities trend towards the left. Causing a shift and migration for those seeking a more comfortable political environment , based on their beliefs. ie: those who believe that places such as California have become to left leaning for them , but still want city life. And places such as Nashville appealing for those that want a warmer climate but don’t wish to live in red rural Tennessee. Just a thought, not a opinion and not singling out any particular group 

image.png.59354bc5c01f2359c199a87d4af15e1d.png

I talk to a lot of people moving here from California and west in general but they are saying they moving here for  the convenience of Nashville but wanting to live in the red counties.  This 2022 growth map sort of supports that as you see close to 35,000 moving to the red counties around Nashville and just under 5k actually moving into blue Davidson county.

• Like 4

I agree with the above, it's not really a "blue/red" issue and more bang for the buck and space outside of Davidson County, school districts, etc. 

Recently drove through the Chapel Hill area in northern Marshall County and you're starting to see some spillage down into there as the sprawl and mindset of "open space" goes farther out. 

• Like 3

what does this bring the consolidated statistical area population for Nashville? 

For example Charlotte's CSA is now 3.33 Million including Charlotte MSA 2.920 M which did not change but with the addition of Hickory metro area immediately adjacent to the northwest of 368,xxx people and another small micropolitan area.    

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Part of these CSA designations is that some smaller percentage of people do commute to the core metro this case being Nashville.  I can see people driving 30 or 40 miles out not necessarily to downtown but suburbs to work.   The pay is just much higher in cities and their metros then in the smaller towns.  I know this is the case in the Charlotte area as we have a lot of super commuters 50 plus miles in the core metro.  And with work from home and a few days in the office this makes this even more popular and probable.   For example Nashville has a fairly sizable employment hub in and around the airport drive 30-40 miles out from there and there will be some of your workers.   Dittos from the south and southeast into Williamson County and Mufreesboro. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

Of note: Dayton and Brownsville are no longer micropolitan areas, but now Fayetteville is  -- and as jmtuna mentioned -- Winchester split from Tullahoma. 

Also, Sparta is no longer a micropolitan as White County has been absorbed into Cookeville's micropolitan area (this from @jmtunafishas well but from elsewhere).

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 1