Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Nashville has the largest average lot size of any of the top 50 cities according to StorageCafe.  The south has 7 of the top 10 most spacious living according to this study. 

https://www.storagecafe.com/blog/best-cities-for-lot-and-home-sizes/   Your average lot size is .27 acres.  Average home size is 1830 sq ft.  The average size of the average Nashville home is smaller than other southern cities but the lot size is the biggest in the south and the top 50 cities in the country.  But notice the largest Texas cities have smaller lot sizes than most southeastern cities.  

Another southern hotspot, Nashville, TN, ranks fifth overall for home space. Boasting the largest median lot size among the country’s 50 biggest cities – roughly 11,813 square feet – Music City is great not only for live entertainment but for backyard fun as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, dragonfly said:

1950's: 1
1960's: 1   <-- was there twice in the '60's, yours truly. National Life topped out summer '68, finished '69

Hmmmm....every source I find says that National Life (now the Snodgrass Tower) opened in 1970.  So that's the one that I list for the 70s.  

https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/building/william-r-snodgrass-tennessee-tower/11560

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

Hmmmm....every source I find says that National Life (now the Snodgrass Tower) opened in 1970.  So that's the one that I list for the 70s.  

https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/building/william-r-snodgrass-tennessee-tower/11560

The Snodgrass building is not the L&C building. Although I’m no help on when these babies were built. Here is a pic of the snodgrass tower

IMG_6581.jpeg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, markhollin said:

The Snodgrass Tower was originally called the National Life Insurance Tower...not to be confused with the L&C (Life & Casualty) Tower.

National Life and Accident Insurance Tower, until it was bought out by American General in 1982. The other poster was correct in that it was topped out and finished in 1969, although its official "opening" might've been early in 1970.

This photo from September 1968 shows it was fairly far along by then:

Facebook

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dragonfly said:

Well I don't know how to prove it except to say that 1968 being a crucial year for me and a lot of my generation because of cultural shifting to make the head swim. You know, Jumpin Jack Flash style. My dad took a job in Park Ridge IL in the spring of '68. I graduated MBA in '68. Our family moved to IL that summer with me knowing that finally Nashville had a new skyscraper designed by a world renowned Chicago firm (not knowing that then). I was up there during the riots at the Democratic convention and learning who Richard Daley was and how his police reacted. Come fall I started freshman year to UT Chattanooga and that fall made a trip to Nashville and one of my friends told me about the new skyscraper downtown and I thought he was forgetting that I saw it 3 or 4 months prior.  I transferred to VU electrical engineering fall of '69 and a guy on my floor of McGill Hall from Birmingham told me he had new respect for Nashville having a building surpassing anything in Birmingham. He said this at night, fall 1969 as we were standing in view of the building all lit up and obviously occupied. I'm not going to confuse these years, they were key years coming of age obviously. Remember me mentioning on here a couple of years ago the two almost indentical Shell buildings in Houston and N.O. which were the next level vesions of the building at 49 and 50 stories. So since a building right here where I am, having this Nashville pedigree is one of those kinda minor themes you come across moving through life. Another one is that American General who bought National Life, was in a 50 story tower in the Houston Montrose section where I lived, visible from the bedroom, about 1 mile away. Am Gen is now AIG.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Shell_Plaza   image.png.5c330b936432bc55225fd75d0802ae29.png

I copied the old Emporis info, and it says 1970 as well.

• Thanks 2