Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

23 hours ago, atlrvr said:

201 S College (Charlotte Plaza) ...  [is] a bit of a challenge, and will have to compete on price (which is really tough now, as the companies that would used to be "value" space tenants are now the ones pretending to care about employee flexibility and go as remote as possible)

Rumor has it that the Charlotte Plaza landlord is playing hardball on lease renewals for their "renovated" "Class A" office space. I can tell you their renovations are mostly light-touch  and gilded at best. If you scratch the surface even a little, you see a 42-year-old building in all its late 70's glory and feel every bit of it in ways that the 10 year newer BAC Corporate Center doesn't feel as tired in relative terms (as a point of comparison).

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

the  historic Johnston Building which would be a great apartment tower in a historic setting.  

20230914_094821.jpg

20230914_095231.jpg

I would contemplate buying a unit in this building if conversion ever were to take place. It would be good if they could negotiate with the 230 South Tryon Condos for use of their pool.

Edited by davidclt
Grammar

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet. First Hearst/Truist and now the Power Tower/Martini Glass... is nothing sacred?? 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/09/27/wells-fargo-duke-energy-tower-signs-bank-uptown.html

Wells Fargo seeks city's OK to add signage at top of former Duke Energy tower in uptown Charlotte

image.png.570f0a632437961aa369e62a9c4561f4.png

Edited by CLT704
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet. First Heart/Truist and now the Power Tower/Martini Glass... is nothing sacred?? 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/09/27/wells-fargo-duke-energy-tower-signs-bank-uptown.html

Wells Fargo seeks city's OK to add signage at top of former Duke Energy tower in uptown Charlotte

I just came here to post the same thing. Awful. Absolutely awful.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet. First Heart/Truist and now the Power Tower/Martini Glass... is nothing sacred?? 

Hopefully there can be some negotiation here… We’ll let you add your awful signage if you’ll hide the window washing crane once and for all! 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, RANYC said:

City can't really deny this given its approval of the Truist signage.  I also saw and see so much of this in Manhattan that I find myself not really caring.  I happen to be more concerned with what's going on on the ground, and less concerned about 500 or 600 feet up.  And given where commercial real estate appears to be headed in so many cities across the country, perhaps the more signs, the less reason to believe our CBD is full of ghost buildings feeding into catastrophic vacancy rates.  I'd like to see this building add vertical marquee signs closer to the ground level to advertise a tenant for the ground-floor retail space(s) at the corner of Church and Brooklyn Village Ave.   

Sure it can. Truist only passed by a 4-3 vote. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CLT Development said:

already have two votes against, including my own.

Reason?

Honeywell Ally Duke Deloitte BofA all have their names on building within a block of Wells. 

I am not sure city council is going try and piss off one of their largest employers because they went to put a sign on a building they own when other companies have their names on buildings.  

• Like 3

City council doesn’t decide, the planning commission does. And they aren’t deciding to not allow it, but to allow it. Buildings are now often built with the intention of signage and get that approved before completion. Existing buildings having different standards makes sense to me, especially those built during the period where architecture defined recognition, not a label. We have never seen this building except unadorned, the BOAT for example was always meant to have signage. I think governing body’s should be allowed to learn from a decision (Truist) and make a different one.

21 minutes ago, MothBeast said:

City council doesn’t decide, the planning commission does. And they aren’t deciding to not allow it, but to allow it. Buildings are now often built with the intention of signage and get that approved before completion. Existing buildings having different standards makes sense to me, especially those built during the period where architecture defined recognition, not a label. We have never seen this building except unadorned, the BOAT for example was always meant to have signage. I think governing body’s should be allowed to learn from a decision (Truist) and make a different one.

Unless I am missing something, Planning Commission votes whether to make the recommendation to City Council and City Council votes on the actual rezoning.  The planning committee could vote against it and still have it passed by city council.

• Thanks 2

Literally, there’s nothing NIMBY about opposing a giant sign on something super, super prominent in a city or town. It’s not like anyone is suggesting someone who wants to build a big tower infront of it can’t…I don’t think Wells Fargo would retaliate at all - their HQ is still in San Francisco, so I think Charlotte can at least be able to consider… not allowing signage or approving a final design. 

This building isn’t Legacy Union or Regions, it’s practically a landmark and just the handle itself is just iconic. I think it’s reasonable to expect some may have objections, some may not. Not all signs look appropriate on all buildings.

Bad:

IMG_1726.thumb.jpeg.62daf0b75918469ebd723bb59d665291.jpeg

Good.

IMG_1727.jpeg.b35f885b0d009da5f5abccbae79400f2.jpeg

I think the signage could look good. It could also look bad so I’ll reserve personal judgement but it’s not surprising people feel strongly about it. I mean people still refuse to call Willis Tower anything but Sears Tower in Chicago so… In any event, Charlotte leaders deserve to scrutinize. It’s a landmark now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RANYC said:

Requests are reviewed by Planning followed by a public hearing and RECOMMENDATION from the Planning Commission.  City council hears and ultimately decides fate of all requests for rezoning.

I’m laughing here because I’ve no idea why  @CLTDevelopment feels any reason to show his hand so early and in this thread given he’s got to go through public hearing and is probably expected to factor that into his final input into recommendation.

I support the sign because it’ll probably fool a number of visitors into thinking Wells might actually be headquartered here given the prominence of what it’s affixed to.

Before too much indignation, just recall Chicago’s Trump Tower.  Imagine this: Tepper Tower!

There probably will be a Tepper tower here in the next round of real estate boom once rates are down in a year or two

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

This is a company that is trying to bring its employees back into uptown to fill vacancies, and working to transform one of its old buildings into residential rather than leave it empty. The employee 30k people with high wages in Charlotte, and are first thought is immediately no? To a building they have owned for close to 20 years? 

this is some NIMBY crap in a different form. I love you all but you should do some self reflection 

The same company that’s exiting three towers to push everyone to University City?

28 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

The same company that’s exiting three towers to push everyone to University City?

Three towers, that’s news to me, since I work for that company in uptown with them… 

they exited 1 Wells and 2 wells, and went into their new 600,000 sqft in Duke Energy. They still have 3 wells which they have spent a bunch to renovate the interior, and 550 brevard, which is very nice. 

Edited by Blue_Devil
  • Like 4

Uptown WF workers went to renovated Class A space that they rent or Class A that they own that is newer.  I have a friend that works for Duke and one that works at a law firm and both companies got the boot from Wells buildings.  Plus Two Wells is a poor use of that block, so they did CLT a favor.  Not to mention they have spent 500 Mil on renovations to Uptown and University area facilities.

Edited by DonkeyKong
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I personally don't mind Wells putting their name on a building they own and like others say employ 30,000 people in this metro.  With the exception of 300 South Brevard which they lease the whole building they own their other 2 towers the 550 South Tryon aka DEC and the 3 Wells Fargo.   Putting the name on the jug handle of this tower is okay and fine with me and much better suited than Truist nameplate.  

Truist as awful as its sign is, at least didn’t make it purple. They tried to blend it in. I’m worried that the wells red is gonna look bad assuming that’s the template they use. 

IMG_4558.jpeg

edit to add: perhaps if they use the yellow lettering on a white background it won’t look as extreme 

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Haha 1