Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

12 hours ago, go_vertical said:

That's crazy that none of the organizations they reached out to wanted it, but I imagine reassembly somewhere else is gonna cost a pretty penny.  I'm fairly confident this will be preserved though since it is an iconic piece of Charlotte.

Yeah, like the iconic Eastland mall sign that everyone gets to see when they get a free tree at Trees Charlotte. hahaha

• Like 3

On 10/23/2023 at 8:55 PM, KJHburg said:

from the Ledger this morning the lighted artwork on the side of the old Duke Energy fortress buildings on S Church is FREE to anyone who will take it.

@CLT Development you got a place for it???   @jtmonk any place up your way?  

from the Charlotte Ledger:

Sometime next weekend, workers will remove a massive 40-foot-by-40-foot multimedia light sculpture that for 27 years has illuminated the corner of South Church Street from the side of the former Duke Energy building near Bank of America Stadium.

The art piece, called “Quadrille,” is a Charlotte landmark whose future is hanging in the balance. The former Duke Energy building is on the cusp of being redeveloped by its new owners, and Duke Energy is asking Ledger readers for help.

Company officials have reached out to a multitude of local organizations and businesses, offering the artwork for free, but so far there have been no takers, said Madison McDonald, a Duke Energy spokesperson. 

So they’re appealing to the public, starting with Ledger readers, who as we know are creative, curious and well-connected. Those with leads can email them to Duke Energy at [email protected] . (Duke Energy officials note that they’ve already engaged with Foundation for the Carolinas, the Arts & Science Council and Charlotte Center City Partners, so don’t bother suggesting those organizations.)

“I think our hope is just to see this live on somewhere, ideally in the Charlotte area,” McDonald said, adding that the company would be OK with it going outside of Charlotte, as long as it can continue to be enjoyed by the public. 

Last December, the building “Quadrille” decorates was sold to Washington, D.C.-based MRP Realty for $35M. MRP Realty plans to convert the 13-story office building into 450 apartments with ground-floor retail, the company told the Charlotte Business Journal last year.

Moving “Quadrille” to Duke Energy’s new headquarters on South Tryon Street isn’t an option because the tower’s glass sides can’t accommodate the 15,000 lb. weight of the piece, McDonald said. 

It will likely need some refurbishment, and it will come off the former Duke Energy building in four quadrants. It’ll come complete with blueprint information for a new owner who might need guidance on reassembly, or to make electrical fixes to get it shining in its new location. 

Debut timed for kickoff: “Quadrille” was unveiled on Aug. 31, 1996, just in time for the Carolina Panthers’ first regular season game in what was then Ericsson Stadium, according to Charlotte Observer archives.

It was created by California artist Michael Hayden, who’s best known for the light display called “Sky’s The Limit” he designed along a walkway in Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport. (If you’ve been through O’Hare, you can surely picture it.)

Unfortunatetly its larger than any single flat surface on the Mint Museum, so sadly we have to Pass.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CLT Development said:

Unfortunatetly its larger than any single flat surface on the Mint Museum, so sadly we have to Pass.

That is WILD. I never noticed how large of an art piece it is. I wonder if it is larger than the blank wall on the new Duke building? 

• Like 1

Paper Skyscraper doing a trial run pop up for the holidays to see if they should do a permanent store Uptown. Hopefully the community shows up to show that we want soft goods like this in Uptown! Could be good momentum to diversify beyond food and beverage.

https://charlotte.axios.com/342712/paper-skyscraper-is-expanding-into-uptown/

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Paper Skyscraper doing a trial run pop up for the holidays to see if they should do a permanent store Uptown. Hopefully the community shows up to show that we want soft goods like this in Uptown! Could be good momentum to diversify beyond food and beverage.

https://charlotte.axios.com/342712/paper-skyscraper-is-expanding-into-uptown/

I predict failure.  Hope I'm wrong but I doubt I will be.  Why not have a store right off the street and along the sidewalk with sidewalk-fronting signage and all that.  Someone should be able to walk the sidewalks and streetscapes of Uptown and be beckoned into retail from transparent window frontages.  Why is Uptown Charlotte so obsessed with these interior mall and food court space concepts.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RANYC said:

I predict failure.  Hope I'm wrong but I doubt I will be.  Why not have a store right off the street and along the sidewalk with sidewalk-fronting signage and all that.  Someone should be able to walk the sidewalks and streetscapes of Uptown and be beckoned into retail from transparent window frontages.  Why is Uptown Charlotte so obsessed with these interior mall and food court space concepts.

Not many places like that left.  One pretty awesome spot, if it's still there, would be that small street-front store front at the base of the Carolina Theater facing East 6th.  In the 60s, there used to be a really cute hippy bookstore there.  

• Like 1

That hippie bookstore was Crazy Horse Books about which I mentioned quite some time ago here. Operated by members of the Red Hornet  Mayday tribe it had anti war literature, some draft counseling options during Vietnam, some Gay literature and such. Most famously it was shot up one night by CMP officers looking for sport (or something). 

https://law.resource.org/pub/us/case/reporter/F2/500/500.F2d.36.73-2175.html

Very little extant on the internet from an event of such distance in time. On the vanilla ice cream of Charlotte of that time The Tribe had a major impact then and at several other high profile events. I could regale you but not here and not now.

edit: Put "red hornet" (with quotes) in the search bar and you will see my post from 2015 which has just a bit more detail.

Edited by videtur quam contuor
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, videtur quam contuor said:

That hippie bookstore was Crazy Horse Books about which I mentioned quite some time ago here. Operated by members of the Red Hornet  Mayday tribe it had anti war literature, some draft counseling options during Vietnam, some Gay literature and such. Most famously it was shot up one night by CMP officers looking for sport (or something). 

https://law.resource.org/pub/us/case/reporter/F2/500/500.F2d.36.73-2175.html

Very little extant on the internet from an event of such distance in time. On the vanilla ice cream of Charlotte of that time The Tribe had a major impact then and at several other high profile events. I could regale you but not here and not now.

edit: Put "red hornet" (with quotes) in the search bar and you will see my post from 2015 which has just a bit more detail.

Thanks for the information. I vaguely remember reading about the tribe. I was in 5-6th grade then.  My 5th grade teacher at First Ward Elementary used to drop me and a couple of other students off at the public library in the morning  and pick us up in the afternoon. We were all supposed to be working on research papers.  Imagine that today, a 5th grade teacher dropping students off at the public library uptown for hours. ( At least I know my way around the card catalog now, and if you want to know about Francis Marion, The Swamp Fox, I'm your guy )  I remember being terrified of the 'homeless' guys in the bathroom.  We used to call them bums.  When we'd wait for the teacher we'd sit out on the curb.  I wanted so badly to walk over to that bookstore.  

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/27/2023 at 9:54 PM, RANYC said:

The Mint's gift store does very well and doubled revenue in FY23. Which reminds me, I will need to ramp up marketing of the store to compete against Paper Skyscraper

Edited by CLT Development
  • Like 2

On 10/27/2023 at 9:54 PM, RANYC said:

Other than than wasteland that is Legacy Union, I can't think of many vacancies right off the sidewalk. They may end up in a new permanent location if it tests well, but the proof of concept is in a former gift shop space  (the Beehive) so it is easier to do a Pop Up concept since the space is already ready for a retail store (flooring, lighting, cash register area, et.) and they can minimize capital to move into the space temporarily.  

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1