Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

35 minutes ago, 1020AM said:

lol at all the coded language in this thread. just say what you want to say.  most of you commenting now just don't feel safe when white people aren't the vast majority whether something happens or not.  i wonder what those kids on the bikes looked like? (this is part of the "culture" y'all scream about on here) I wonder why southpark and southend make you feel safer? i live uptown and my family has for over 20 years and it's no more or less any safer than any other part town. 

uptown is perfectly fine all the time, but you're using this one incident to go off on safety, fear and low key bigoted rants. this is America. anything can happen anyplace at any time. humans are dangerous period. 

Poppycock. 

Edited by RANYC
  • Thanks 3

59 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

A lot of it is the surge of homelessness in Charlotte. I tend to walk the full length of the train line uptown every time I ride, vs wait, so I always end up at 9th St Station, and last night getting out of the government center the amount of unhoused folks using the Rail Trail was a little unnerving, just because mental health issues and desperation seem to permeate through the unhoused population which has people of all ages, colors, shapes and sizes. Things have definitely changed, and I think a lot of it has to do with the amount of empty space left by the city, county and Levine Properties. The lack of people in those areas, makes it feel marketably less safe. That said 120,000 people still come uptown for work from Tuesday to Thursday, and around 70,000 on Monday and 50,000 on Friday. I will note that we were up to 160,000 PreCovid, so obviously this is a fairly large drop off. That said there are still quite a bit of people coming uptown, so I'm not sure why @RANYC is acting like uptown is a Ghost Town.

Cultural and Educational Institutions are thriving. 

For Instance: 
The Mint Museum set a record in FY22 for Visitation, and in FY23 surpassed that record by 75K people. 

@RANYC has no clue what you’re talking about since @RANYC didn’t allege it’s a ghost town.  In fact, had uptown been a ghost town on the 4th, the people who were exposed to the hooliganism wouldn’t have been.  Instead of going in on me like you’re confounded by my words, let me get you back to my point of my frustrations about high-profile gatherings turning into uptown “incidents” which serve to hurt its perceptions.  

Chief Jennings said as much that they don’t want a small group undermining the city’s attempts at successful civic gatherings.  I applaud the PD’s efforts at stopping the incident before it spiraled out of control.  There were no deaths.  And even some parents were cited for failure to supervise.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, RANYC said:

@RANYC has no clue what you’re talking about since @RANYC didn’t allege it’s a ghost town.  In fact, had uptown been a ghost town on the 4th, the people who were exposed to the hooliganism wouldn’t have been.  Instead of going in on me like you’re confounded by my words, let me get you back to my point of my frustrations about high-profile gatherings turning into uptown “incidents” which serve to hurt its perceptions.  

Chief Jennings said as much that they don’t want a small group undermining the city’s attempts at successful civic gatherings.  I applaud the PD’s efforts at stopping the incident before it spiraled out of control.  There were no deaths.  And even some parents were cited for failure to supervise.

I honestly and am amazed at how much more brazen people have become in large groups. 

• Like 1

Different paragraph...

Just as the Commercial RE market appears to be cratering, massive amounts of data-driven research are flowing in showing that remote work is significantly less productive than in office work. Most of these studies show hybrid work to not share the same productivity issues.

The elephant in the room with this debate is commute time -- workers feel like they are more productive at home becuase they don't have to commute. But employeers see commute time as a worker responsibility and are not gemerally interested in its impact on workers.  It also appears that employers who increasingly prefer to be in central and interesting (meaning expensive) locations in order to have offices that are attractive to hybrid workers. Workers are moving away from the city, firms are moving towards it, nobody is talking about this mismatch which is fundamental to urban form.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2023/07/06/state-farm-office-space-loan-deadline-vacancy.html

https://fortune.com/2023/07/06/remote-workers-less-productive-wfh-research/

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, kermit said:

Different paragraph...

Just as the Commercial RE market appears to be cratering, massive amounts of data-driven research are flowing in showing that remote work is significantly less productive than in office work. Most of these studies show hybrid work to not share the same productivity issues.

The elephant in the room with this debate is commute time -- workers really want to be compensated for it, this has not yet occurred to employers who increasingly prefer to be in central and interesting (meaning expensive) locations to bring in the hybrid workers. Workers are moving away from the city, firms are moving towards it.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2023/07/06/state-farm-office-space-loan-deadline-vacancy.html

https://fortune.com/2023/07/06/remote-workers-less-productive-wfh-research/

I’ve read that a factor in much of Europe’s generally faster return to the office has been relative ease of commute and transit accessibility & usability.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RANYC said:

I’ve read that a factor in much of Europe’s generally faster return to the office has been relative ease of commute and transit accessibility & usability.

I have heard that as well -- along with the relative absence of single-use office districts in most European cities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Yup^. Meant to post this yesterday but the IPA got in the way lol. LU should have took notes and flanked the plaza with retail. 
IMG_4108.thumb.jpeg.426f85147787f89c48e5e6328cb92a12.jpeg

What's changing here?  There were places to sit before, yes?  A modernization of seats and new finishes?

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

this is good news for 7th St Market.

""Resident Culture Brewing Co. has expansion on tap. The brewery has snagged space at The Market at 7th Street in uptown Charlotte.

It will have a 300-square-foot bar with 12 beers on tap as well as cans-to-go when it opens in August. The market is at 224 E. 7th St.

Expansion is already planned there. Resident Culture plans to move into a 1,200-square-foot space, including a patio, in late 2024.

“We believe in the revitalization and comeback of uptown, and want to do our part to help make it happen,” says Philip McLamb, co-owner.

He says that the market’s mission aligns with Resident Culture’s core values — to promote small-business diversity with women- and minority-owned ventures as well as supporting growth for the uptown community.

The market features 12 Charlotte businesses, including Not Just Coffee, Orrman’s Cheese Shop, Assorted Table Wine & Shop and Jimmy Pearls — a restaurant Resident Culture has collaborated with on beer-pairing dinners.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/07/17/resident-culture-uptown-brewery-market-at-7th.html

Is it planning on moving into the old Queen City Q location? Have been waiting for something to move in there and the old Brixx location. 

1 hour ago, DMann said:

I think the former Queen City Q's address is 6th street.  Same as the old Brixx site.

Yes, but I think QCQ backs up to 7 st market. Always wish the market would knock that wall and expand into that space. Additional food stalls or bring a permanent farmers market style place there with fresh fruits/vegetables and meats. 7th street used to have a little meat market I think where the Italian place is. 

• Like 2