Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

3 hours ago, CarolinaCrown said:

Anyone got some updates this week on the Lovin Life setup?  It'll be interesting to see how this "festival" shapes up.  Looks like Friday will be the hottest of day with showers and a high around 80 for Saturday. 

There's a stage about half the height of the UNCC building that has been erected, its a pretty large presence. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, videtur quam contuor said:

And the glorious lobby of the building must remain.

most likely it will as will the 2 tenants Chopt and Starbucks as they were put in after this LLC from DC bought this building and could be seen as amenities for the hotel guests especially the Starbucks.  

From the post from CLT Development

Historic building in Uptown will be converted to a hotel🏨🚨

@cltdevelopment and I have learned the historic Johnston Building in Uptown will be converted to a hotel…THIS IS AWESOME

This building was completed in 1924 and has some pretty amazing history behind it. Here’s the quick wiki summary

- 212 S Tryon
- 172,382 SF of space
- 226’ tall and 17 stories. It was the tallest building in Charlotte for 2 years.
- 2 more floors were added in 1929
- The site was sold in 1923 for $100 after a fire
- Spaulding & Slye Investments owns the building and JLL manages the property

CLT Development and I are absolutely STOKED about this. Not only are we keeping a historic building, but the use of a hotel is perfect for the site.

• Like 4

Excited by this:

1) reduces office space from market, and pushes those tenants to other office properties
2) really excited if it's Marriott Tribute or Hilton Curio or a 21c Museum Hotel

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Excited by this:

1) reduces office space from market, and pushes those tenants to other office properties
2) really excited if it's Marriott Tribute or Hilton Curio or a 21c Museum Hotel

Hilton Curio and Indigo Hotel have both been linked to adaptive re-use hotels in Charlotte that have not materialized in the past (Tryon Plaza and Hall House). I would LOVE to see a 21C here, thats my preference. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, KJHburg said:

most likely it will as will the 2 tenants Chopt and Starbucks as they were put in after this LLC from DC bought this building and could be seen as amenities for the hotel guests especially the Starbucks.  

From the post from CLT Development

Historic building in Uptown will be converted to a hotel🏨🚨

@cltdevelopment and I have learned the historic Johnston Building in Uptown will be converted to a hotel…THIS IS AWESOME

This building was completed in 1924 and has some pretty amazing history behind it. Here’s the quick wiki summary

- 212 S Tryon
- 172,382 SF of space
- 226’ tall and 17 stories. It was the tallest building in Charlotte for 2 years.
- 2 more floors were added in 1929
- The site was sold in 1923 for $100 after a fire
- Spaulding & Slye Investments owns the building and JLL manages the property

CLT Development and I are absolutely STOKED about this. Not only are we keeping a historic building, but the use of a hotel is perfect for the site.

This awesome! Makes me think of the hotel conversion at the Foshay Tower in Minneapolis!

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/mspwh-w-minneapolis-the-foshay/overview/

https://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy/2008/08/foshay-reopens-hip-happenn-historic-hotel/

Edited by DJ8hep
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

wait so they are keeping that original portion? and building around it?

no more incorporating the old facade into the new building.  Look at the link above you can see how it fits in.  

• Like 2