Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

11 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

The Mint's gift store does very well and doubled revenue in FY23. Which reminds me, I will need to ramp up marketing of the store to compete against Paper Skyscraper

Yes, but it fronts a terrace which fronts the street.  It’s not buried in some interior mall.  Mint street gift shop sort of beckons from the streetscape.  Doesn’t appear paper skyscraper will do the same.  Probably still a good idea to step up marketing for the Mint Gift Shop, however, as one never fully knows how the market will react to change.

2 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Other than than wasteland that is Legacy Union, I can't think of many vacancies right off the sidewalk. They may end up in a new permanent location if it tests well, but the proof of concept is in a former gift shop space so it is easier to do a Pop Up concept since the space is already ready for a retail store and they can minimize capital to move into the space temporarily.  

Yea, I suppose a phase-in strategy is prudent.  

I walk around uptown all the time and it feels like I pass lengthy stretches of nothing in other places even outside of Legacy Union.  I suppose it’s slowly changing, but yeah, we lack the living room streetscape in the majority of uptown’s main corridors. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Yes, but it fronts a terrace which fronts the street.  It’s not buried in some interior mall.  Mint street gift shop sort of beckons from the streetscape.  Doesn’t appear paper skyscraper will do the same.  Probably still a good idea to step up marketing for the Mint Gift Shop, however, as one never fully knows how the market will react to change.

Yea, I suppose a phase-in strategy is prudent.  

I walk around uptown all the time and it feels like I pass lengthy stretches of nothing in other places even outside of Legacy Union.  I suppose it’s slowly changing, but yeah, we lack the living room streetscape in the majority of uptown’s main corridors. 

Luckily the Paper Skyscraper name is well enough known locally that if they put signs out on the street, it will hopefully bring some customers that don't work in the office towers inside to shop and prove out demand for the owners. I hope if the space tests well, they get a better location permanently versus Over Street Mall. If Epicentre renovations turn that place around, that could be a great spot for a permanent Paper Skyscraper for example. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4

Always envisioned/wished Charlotte could have exactly that type of store on Tryon. Glad they’re uptown but wish it was fronting the street. Size wise if they don’t want too big, I could see them taking over the old Sukoshi spot between Tupelo honey and Eddie Vs. I know rent  is expensive (esp for non resturants) but maybe the city can entice tenants with incentives to attract more retail uptown. I don’t know how big the inside of the new monarch market is but maybe they could do a pop up style inside there which I think would give them a lot of foot traffic. Similar to that pop up in 7th st market. Either way, hope they’re successful uptown. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Always envisioned/wished Charlotte could have exactly that type of store on Tryon. Glad they’re uptown but wish it was fronting the street. Size wise if they don’t want too big, I could see them taking over the old Sukoshi spot between Tupelo honey and Eddie Vs. I know rent  is expensive (esp for non resturants) but maybe the city can entice tenants with incentives to attract more retail uptown. I don’t know how big the inside of the new monarch market is but maybe they could do a pop up style inside there which I think would give them a lot of foot traffic. Similar to that pop up in 7th st market. Either way, hope they’re successful uptown. 

That type of store exists on Tryon, The Mint Museum Store *winky face emoji* Monarch doesn't really have room for a pop up. It was smaller than I expected tbh

Edited by CLT Development
  • Like 2

Discovery Place Gift Shop on N Tryon has things that could be gifts for adults with a youthful mind. Something like Paper Skyscraper where I see something I would find nowhere else. 

Note: When Tim and Ron opened their shop 300 (too many zeroes?) years ago it was in one of the tiny spaces behind 300 East Restaurant. The theme was paper goods that were illustrated with city photos, skyscrapers, aerial views, and some other items. Napkins, note cards and so on. A niche of niche business, it was a part time endeavor for them. Somehow it succeeded.

The current location on East had been a Li'l General store with wine, cigs and ancient vienna sausages. The operators were actively anti LGBT. I was glad to see the change for that reason if no other.

Edited by videtur quam contuor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

That type of store exists on Tryon, The Mint Museum Store *winky face emoji* Monarch doesn't really have room for a pop up. It was smaller than I expected tbh

We actually really like that Mint museum store. Last time I was there, they had beer and wine for purchase while you shop/look around. Was that just a special event or does that happen pretty frequently? Haven’t been in awhile, need to check it out again. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

We actually really like that Mint museum store. Last time I was there, they had beer and wine for purchase while you shop/look around. Was that just a special event or does that happen pretty frequently? Haven’t been in awhile, need to check it out again. 

It's a Wednesday Night thing that they are going to hopefully start back soon. Sip & Shop

This is interesting. Suggests some pretty serious undertaxation and/or room for a parking tax.

(I only glanced at a cool graphic on the internet, can’t vouch for accuracy here. I believe the data come from here: https://www.lincolninst.edu/publications/other/50-state-property-tax-comparison-study-2022  )

IMG_6560.png

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Does anyone recall when the Hearst Tower, now Truist Tower, was being built there was a huge problem with the courtyard created in front of the building?  Seems like there was serious issues, and now that Truist is trying to remake that space they are going thorough the same type of issues.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, DMann said:

Does anyone recall when the Hearst Tower, now Truist Tower, was being built there was a huge problem with the courtyard created in front of the building?  Seems like there was serious issues, and now that Truist is trying to remake that space they are going thorough the same type of issues.

What type of problems?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KJHburg said:

here is the apartment complex going up on N Tryon right outside 277.  I can never get a good photo of it but it is being framed out in cinder block possibly for stucco overcoat I am not sure.   (N Tryon and 12th St)

also not photograpphed is the new Starbucks on N Tryon right across from the existing and for couple more years Amtrak station.  It is right where N Tryon splits into 2 one way streets.  It is a great location for them as it is right in right out for the morning breakfast crowd and right in and right out for the evening Frappacino crowd or evening coffee drinkers.  Not to mention all the growth in residential in that area.   N Tryon and 23rd St. 

Or, make your way over to the other side of the rail yard and support one of the many great local coffee shops like Night Swim or The Hobbyist.

That being said, even just a couple years ago I never could have imagined Starbucks building a standalone store at that location.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nicholas said:

Or, make your way over to the other side of the rail yard and support one of the many great local coffee shops like Night Swim or The Hobbyist.

That being said, even just a couple years ago I never could have imagined Starbucks building a standalone store at that location.

Yes when I first heard about it before I saw the site I thought the same thing.  No way it is works.  Now I look at the site and one of the best sites they could pick for both inbound and outbound traffic.

My best cup of coffee is really local at my home.  But yes I support local coffee shops when on the occasion I am out and about.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

(9) Converting Outdated Office Buildings into Dynamic K-12 Schools | LinkedIn

As office buildings empty, here's a creative use for all that space (fastcompany.com)

seems office buildings have been converted to schools for a while even right here in Charlotte with Charlotte Catholic High School on Hwy 51.   When office tenants are shrinking and moving to new amenitized buildings reuses for other buildings have to be done as there are no tenants to take that space.  200 North College aka Wake Forest Center is ideal for a conversion to a new use but not residential or it needs to be torn down and as 5 story building this could easily be done.   Those floorplates are huge at this building.  

This was the case for Metrolina Scholars Academy as well.  Seems to have worked out well. It's been years since they did this.

• Like 2

Uptown is bouncing back with CCCP saying worker levels uptown are at 78% and Southend is at 125% of 2019 mainly due to so much new office space built and occupied.  A vibrant center city is vital to the region as we all know.  That is the main reason I am so concerned about some of these older office buildings and their occupancy.  I hope 2024 is the year more conversions are announced.  One thing I saw in Austin is how vibrant a downtown area can be when there is literally a hotel or residential tower on almost every block.  

From the Ledger this morning:

""A recent report from uptown advocacy group Charlotte Center City Partners reached similar findings based on its examination of cell phone data: It found that the frequency of people working from uptown in the third quarter of 2023 was 78% of pre-pandemic levels. In contrast, South End is at 125% of pre-pandemic levels, it said, because of new office space there that didn’t exist in 2019.   

Some of uptown’s office towers have high vacancy rates, and new office construction has all but ground to a halt in Charlotte in the last year because many companies have embraced hybrid work and are requiring less office space. Charlotte Center City Partners says work arrangements in uptown and South End are 46% hybrid work and 54% “office-centric.”

Besides working, other uptown events are coming back strong, including festivals, conventions, concerts and sporting events, local officials have said.""

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

This was the case for Metrolina Scholars Academy as well.  Seems to have worked out well. It's been years since they did this.

I'm pretty sure they were trying to move out of that space pre covid. Not sure what the current situation is. They simply have outgrown the building with no way to add additional capacity..

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ertley said:

Regardless, those issues are worth it, because I think this courtyard is one of the best things in downtown. It clearly wasn't part of a master 'block' plan and had to be negotiated with existing structures, which is what makes it great, IMO. 

Now I hope the city will demolish those pointless, desperate attempt to gentrify North Tryon pillar/gateways in favor of a nice, robust sidewalk and trees. I don't know why city officials can't see that installations like that reek of desperation, and only serve as ineffectual substitutes for meaningful urban fabric. They also scream, to me, "not a real city or urban area." The money wasted on crap like that would be better spent on...better sidewalks and tree plantings, if nothing else, in the same location or somewhere else. 

You’re right.  It’s a type of subdivision placemaking overlaid onto downtown…next, we’ll rename Uptown as “Leafy Oak Ridge” and affix the name on our gated entrance.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 11/10/2023 at 5:05 PM, stw52 said:

I'm pretty sure they were trying to move out of that space pre covid. Not sure what the current situation is. They simply have outgrown the building with no way to add additional capacity..

That was/is true, but it worked just fine before outgrowing it.  It was actually set up better than most regular schools when we toured it. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...