Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

22 hours ago, chris holman said:

This piece has more interaction in any other or that I've ever seen if you go to the hashtag on Instagram for Facebook and so much interaction and it's so much positivity we need more artists to come and draw our city

They should...The price tag for that was around $20,000 (at least for the ones (2) here in San Antonio). 

On April 18, 2016 at 6:15 PM, PHofKS said:

OK...try again...

The MDHA is a placeholder until the actual renderings are produced.

Skyline%20Mashup%204%2018_zps9etuom9s.jp

Happy to see so much happening, but other than the JWM, I wish we had at least one or two more exciting designs.  Most everything has taken the safe-route.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nashvillwill said:

In regards to all the N. Capitol development;

It's absolutely ludicrous that most of those building have zero ground floor commercial space. It's neat that there are so many new buildings going up, but that area is going to be a boring, auto-dependent, pedestrian wasteland. For the love of God, two buildings going up spitting distance from the main entrance to a ballpark, and not a bar in sight.  

Wrap all of those buildings in restaurant/retail, and you would have an urban paradise.

I could care less if they are sided with stucco, or 24k gold. They are functionally deficient.

What an absolute waste. 

This city is "doing it wrong".

I just got a chance to examine those photos closer, and holy crap, you weren't joking.  Initially I had assumed that these were just 'in the neighborhood' of the ballpark. But they're literally right next door!  It is absolutely dumb-founding that these buildings that take up entire blocks next to and across from a major draw for the general public have zero retail to offer to speak of.  What the hell is even the point of surrounding the ball park with buildings that the general public that will be visiting said ball park has absolutely ZERO use for?  It makes no sense at all!!  Unreal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

I just got a chance to examine those photos closer, and holy crap, you weren't joking.  Initially I had assumed that these were just 'in the neighborhood' of the ballpark. But they're literally right next door!  It is absolutely dumb-founding that these buildings that take up entire blocks next to and across from a major draw for the general public have zero retail to offer to speak of.  What the hell is even the point of surrounding the ball park with buildings that the general public that will be visiting said ball park has absolutely ZERO use for?  It makes no sense at all!!  Unreal.

The city really acts like it's desperate when approving these developments.  With just a little foresight, they could have developed every single street in that area to address the needs of local citizens and visitors and made it into an even more vibrant neighborhood...and still kept the developer happy and able to make a buck.  Instead, they allow the developers to do the bare minimum and not even think about how much better it could be with some slight changes.

• Like 3

Was the photo from Fern Avenue taken today?  If so, I expected the Skyhouse to have a much greater impact on the midtown skyline, and thought the Sobro tower would be partially visible behind the Pinnacle.  Also would have hoped the Westin was tall enough to spot somewhere in the background.  Amazing how that view has not changed much since Pinnacle opened, despite Omni, MCC, Westin, 1212, HCA and Roundabout Tower added.  

9 hours ago, titanhog said:

The city really acts like it's desperate when approving these developments.  With just a little foresight, they could have developed every single street in that area to address the needs of local citizens and visitors and made it into an even more vibrant neighborhood...and still kept the developer happy and able to make a buck.  Instead, they allow the developers to do the bare minimum and not even think about how much better it could be with some slight changes.

I agree that all the development around the ballpark, including the multifamily in general and specifically the Carillon, should be lined with street-level retail.  It's an absolute shame Metro doesn't require this.  

I can also tell you why developers often don't do it.  Developers like Embrey (doing the Carillon) are usually merchant developers; i.e. they want to build it, lease it up, and sell it for a profit as quickly as possible.  Financing is tougher to get for mixed-use projects, and mixing uses reduces the number of buyers for your exit.  So groups like that often choose not to include retail unless they are forced to.  

Edited by RonCamp
Spelling error
  • Like 1